diy solar

diy solar

Top Balance consideration?

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
This is not the first time this has been discussed. Just wanted to see if my reasoning is right. I will be building 2 24v batteries. Currently I am top balancing the first 8.

Because of scheduling considerations my approach is probably slower than most. I first set the charger to the lower value that is often recommended.

Next, because I like to keep a watch on things, I only run the top balance procedure when I am home and awake. I just finished two weekend days. This means the cells get a "resting" phase with the charger turned off at night and when I am at work.

When I started, all cells were with .01 of each other. As I went through the procedure, I noted three cells that seemed to lag behind a little. This has decreased to two and the difference between all cells is only .01 at this time.

My thoughts are to complete the top balance, put them together into series to get the 24v and run a capacity test. Once completed, I will check to see what the differential is between cells, to see if I am having a cell or two restraining capacity. If this happens, I will likely cycle through the second bank of cells and do the same thing.

By doing this, I should be able to identify my top 8 performers. I will put them in bank one. The remaining will be in bank two. This should help equalize the BMS cut off since cells should be better matched for capacity.

Am I missing something? I know this is a slow process, but I am not in a hurry. I still do not have all the components of my system so I can take my time with this.

Back