diy solar

diy solar

Top balenced a clamped bank of 8 x 280ah cells in wrong config

eniacs

Hi All,

I've made a little mistake and clamped and charged my first set of 8 cells in the wrong config. Im doing 48v 560ah, made of 4 x 8 groups of clamped cells. The first set was just clamped straight and a straight busbar used. However its actual config needs to be ++--++--++-- if you see what i mean?

So can i unclamp them (in their fully charged state) rearrange them and clamp them up again? Or is the only way to discharge them then unclamp?

Thanks!

I just make it one big cell and charge to 3.60 v. Just finished 8 for a 24v pack

Attachments

• 20220216_140559.jpg
    20220216_140559.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 15
This is what i did. But its not my final layout, needs to be ++--++-- Can i just unclamp and rearrange a re clamp or is it full discharge and recharge?!

No you top balance as one big cell and then configure your battery after they are top balanced. Thats the way I do it. Last one I did I top balanced. Then I took apart and did again to get the cell good. This pack here is perfect after first time. All cells same voltage after sitting 2 days

I'd be interested to see if bloating did happen after a top balance and pulling them apart.

i've just finished top balancing my 8 x 304ah cells this morning, i'm just going to let them sit for a day and then discharge them until they are at 40% before pulling them apart and making my two 12v packs

I won't be commissioning these packs until late march, so there is not need to keep them at full capacity

Don't assume that. Are you talking about a pack configured in parallel for top balancing unclamped? Or just a bunch of charged cells sitting around unclamped?

I have them clamped. 8 cells. I need to rearrange them. I want to unclamp and reclamp. WIll this cause issues?

I have them clamped. 8 cells. I need to rearrange them. I want to unclamp and reclamp. WIll this cause issues?

As long as they are not being charged or discharged while they are unclamped there is no issue. Not that anyone would ever try to charge/discharge while moving cells around, but you never know.

Back