diy solar

diy solar

TOP NOTCH Samsung (SR255MLS) 255 litre Inverter Fridge that runs on an oily rag -great for home or RV

Aussiecroc

For five years now caravan and motorhome folk in Australia have been adding this fridge to their rigs. The reason? Power consumption for a fridge this big is awesome. Just over 2 amp/hours at 12.8 volts on average. You get a 71 litre freezer running at minus 21C and a 158 litre fridge running at about 3C in one awesome package. I just bought a second hand one and filled it with food and it uses just over 52 amp hours a day. Many fridges that are much smaller (12 volt compressor) use as much power. This little beauty runs on a 240 volt 300 watt sine wave inverter easily. It cruises between 40 and 75 watts in normal usage and uses 1.6 watts when the compressor is off. The defrost cycle uses 120 watts. The dc motor is on most of the time and it is super quiet. This is a 240 volt fridge so my US folks would have to check out the 120 volt one and see if it does just as well. These fridges are bolted into many caravans and motorhomes and many have done mega miles on some of our worst dirt roads in the outback. Don't take my word for it -read about it in this forum all 8 forum pages full. Nobody yet has said that they will go back to 12/24 volt fridges. If you live in a cooler climate your power usage could be less than our hotter climate. This is a great fridge for home or the RV for ruggedness and low power usage. You will need to add a latch to the magnetic door and bolt it to the floor (or secure it well) for travelling. Should go great with a 200a/h 12 volt battery with adequate solar set up or similar.

the figure on the meter below is for ten days in a house with hot weather over 30c.

Attachments

• IMG20191111163738.jpg
    IMG20191111163738.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG20191111163749.jpg
    IMG20191111163749.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG20191111163802.jpg
    IMG20191111163802.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Looks nice, Not available in US that I can find. We might get it in 20 years or so, just as soon as someone hears about it.:confused:

After battling for 30 mins to turn my computer off Australia and onto USA I found that USA fridge size for Samsung starts at just over TWICE the size of this one (20 cubit feet). There were no small Samsung fridges over there. SIGGHHH I tried lol. Do you have any low usage inverter fridges? This Samsung fridge above is 9 cubic feet.

My little dorm fridge pulls 4.27A @ 12v with about a duty cycle around 1/4 hour. fyi

Yes it does come down to how long it is on or off and how big it is. My 40 litre twelve volt is like that too but it is one sixth of the size.

I agree with you Aussiecroc. I have a Samsung Inverter fridge in our van, now enjoy frozen ice blocks and ice creams in the tropical outside temperatures, with the old 12v compressor fridge, I didn’t like liquid ice creams.

Hi, Ive just come across this forum and thread. Where can oí find the 8 pages of info on the samsung or other inverter fridge stuff?

For five years now caravan and motorhome folk in Australia have been adding this fridge to their rigs. The reason? Power consumption for a fridge this big is awesome. Just over 2 amp/hours at 12.8 volts on average. You get a 71 litre freezer running at minus 21C and a 158 litre fridge running at about 3C in one awesome package. I just bought a second hand one and filled it with food and it uses just over 52 amp hours a day. Many fridges that are much smaller (12 volt compressor) use as much power. This little beauty runs on a 240 volt 300 watt sine wave inverter easily. It cruises between 40 and 75 watts in normal usage and uses 1.6 watts when the compressor is off. The defrost cycle uses 120 watts. The dc motor is on most of the time and it is super quiet. This is a 240 volt fridge so my US folks would have to check out the 120 volt one and see if it does just as well. These fridges are bolted into many caravans and motorhomes and many have done mega miles on some of our worst dirt roads in the outback. Don't take my word for it -read about it in this forum all 8 forum pages full. Nobody yet has said that they will go back to 12/24 volt fridges. If you live in a cooler climate your power usage could be less than our hotter climate. This is a great fridge for home or the RV for ruggedness and low power usage. You will need to add a latch to the magnetic door and bolt it to the floor (or secure it well) for travelling. Should go great with a 200a/h 12 volt battery with adequate solar set up or similar.

the figure on the meter below is for ten days in a house with hot weather over 30c.
Can you link me the 8 page thread on the fridges please

When running a dedicated inverter for these fridges are they installed next to the batteries and 240v run to the fridge or can the original 12v fridge wiring be used to power the inverter which can then be located in the fridge cavity and simple plug fridge into the inverter?
I think I’ve got like 8B&S cable at the fridge and the run from the batteries is around 4 meters.

Put the inverter next to the battery (or fairly close then run the 240 to the fridge.

I too was fed up with high energy consumption of my absorption style fridge in my RV. So I went out and bought a Whirlpool fridge, 21.5cu/ft with a nice ice maker/dispenser. Water filtration built in. The nicest fridge I've owned. It draws a consistent 1.2kwh per day in the blistering 115* summer here.

This is about as energy efficient as I have found here in the US.

20210508_160231-jpg.48363

I too was fed up with high energy consumption of my absorption style fridge in my RV. So I went out and bought a Whirlpool fridge, 21.5cu/ft with a nice ice maker/dispenser. Water filtration built in. The nicest fridge I've owned. It draws a consistent 1.2kwh per day in the blistering 115* summer here.

This is about as energy efficient as I have found here in the US.

20210508_160231-jpg.48363
LOL that looks like someones home kitchen. I guess an RV of that size isnt subjected to the kind of vibration, g forces and road grades that would normally give home fridges a very short life in most vehicles.
Unless its like the assault vehicle/RV they had in the movie "Stripes".

We thought the Samsung fridge would die on bad Australian dirt roads out west. Eight years later they have not reported one failure. They are amazing.

Back