diy solar

diy solar

Topping up batteries from normal 15A wall outlet

I think you're thinking to much Probably WIll's video about optimizing battery hookup and the one previous. He's pulling some insane amount of power as a test -tesla, heat pump, other crazy high amp stuff. In real life that's never going to happen
Dave, how long have you been using these, https://www.signaturesolar.com/products/48v-25a-120v-battery-charger-by-eg4
and how would you rate them value wise as a product?

not very good

"25A" only produces 16A see :

But last monday I sent SS a PM, and by Friday I had a replacement in my hand delivered. But another 16A. When they figure out how to get 25A I can send it back. Hopefully it's just a screw to adjust inside, but honestly if you read the manual -- its in Chinese "Engrish", it says it only produces 16A. I am completely shocked they are still listing it as 25A on their site because it was verified by multiple people on that thread and other thread its only producing 16A.

HOWEVER if you read the same thread there's a verified purchase of an actual 25A from a user Lt Dan from China

I think this would work.

EDIT:

ALSO it it totally awesome to run my generator every other day for just 2 hours. Before with just one charger, I had to run the generator for 7 hours every day. Which was insane, I blew through $130 in propane in two weeks. Kind of pissed about that. There's no reason for a battery if I have to run my generator at 1/10 it's output for the entire day.

But with 32a charging, one 2 hour charge every other day is all I need, and it powers everything. I went from $130 in propane every two weeks to $130 in propane every two months. If I can get another charger I can get to near peak efficiency of my generator, right now I'm at half. I even plugged a few more things in, stero, 46" lcd, some chargers. Will try the crock pot this weekend! All of this with no solar

Last edited:
I think you're thinking to much Probably WIll's video about optimizing battery hookup and the one previous. He's pulling some insane amount of power as a test -tesla, heat pump, other crazy high amp stuff. In real life that's never going to happen

not very good

"25A" only produces 16A see :

But last monday I sent SS a PM, and by Friday I had a replacement in my hand delivered. But another 16A. When they figure out how to get 25A I can send it back. Hopefully it's just a screw to adjust inside, but honestly if you read the manual -- its in Chinese "Engrish", it says it only produces 16A. I am completely shocked they are still listing it as 25A on their site because it was verified by multiple people on that thread and other thread its only producing 16A.

HOWEVER if you read the same thread there's a verified purchase of an actual 25A from a user Lt Dan from China

I think this would work.

EDIT:

ALSO it it totally awesome to run my generator every other day for just 2 hours. Before with just one charger, I had to run the generator for 7 hours every day. Which was insane, I blew through $130 in propane in two weeks. Kind of pissed about that. There's no reason for a battery if I have to run my generator at 1/10 it's output for the entire day.

But with 32a charging, one 2 hour charge every other day is all I need, and it powers everything. I went from $130 in propane every two weeks to $130 in propane every two months. If I can get another charger I can get to near peak efficiency of my generator, right now I'm at half. I even plugged a few more things in, stero, 46" lcd, some chargers. Will try the crock pot this weekend! All of this with no solar
thanks for that link, will read it and digest it a bit.

If you have a Growatt inverter/charger (most are), then you simply need to connect the AC-in of the unit to the 15A outlet. Consult your manual.

It is important that you not exceed the 15A outlet limit, and if you're using loads, you will have to consider loads+charging as it will pull from Grid to power loads when charging regardless of priority. You also need to consider anything else pulling power from that circuit in your house.

There is a setting to limit AC charging. It's battery current, not outlet current. Setting 13 is the cut-off voltage for AC charging. Let's say it's 58V. 15A * 120V = 1800W. 1800W/58V = 31A, so you will need to limit your AC charging to 31A or less (recommend 25A for some margin).

Also, if battery voltage is above the value in setting 12, the AC charger will not charge. You will need to raise setting 12 above the battery voltage to force charging.

Lastly, the Growatt charger is a simple on/off charger. ON at setting 12, OFF at setting 13. No absorption or float phases.
You said "the Growatt charger is a simple on/off charger. ON at setting 12, OFF at setting 13. No absorption or float phases." That's not how those settings work at all. Setting 12 for me is 29% and that is when the battery is discharging and the inverter will switch to grid and wait for PV to charge the battery to Setting 13 level. For me that is 39% and that is when the inverters switch from grid to PV and/or Battery. The inverters will continue charging the batteries till they are fully charged if PV is available and greater than the house load demands. The Inverters will switch from charging to discharging depending on PV available and demand until the batteries are fully charged. After the batteries reach full charge then the PV will supply the load for the house and even if there is plenty of PV the batteries will start discharging slowly (about 1 or 2% per hour) and not float the battery charge at full charge. This is a problem I haven't been able to correct. When the sun goes down and PV starts to be less than demand the batteries are usually depleted to 80% or even 75% to start the night.

You said "the Growatt charger is a simple on/off charger. ON at setting 12, OFF at setting 13. No absorption or float phases." That's not how those settings work at all. Setting 12 for me is 29% and that is when the battery is discharging and the inverter will switch to grid and wait for PV to charge the battery to Setting 13 level. For me that is 39% and that is when the inverters switch from grid to PV and/or Battery. The inverters will continue charging the batteries till they are fully charged if PV is available and greater than the house load demands. The Inverters will switch from charging to discharging depending on PV available and demand until the batteries are fully charged. After the batteries reach full charge then the PV will supply the load for the house and even if there is plenty of PV the batteries will start discharging slowly (about 1 or 2% per hour) and not float the battery charge at full charge. This is a problem I haven't been able to correct. When the sun goes down and PV starts to be less than demand the batteries are usually depleted to 80% or even 75% to start the night.

Model?

I thought that the consensus on this forum was that the Growatt 5000 ES is safe so long as you don't use the AC input? That's why I was trying to avoid using the AC in on the growatt.

Do you disagree?

I am as safe as the next girl -- well try to be - sure I have caused a "few" fires at work - but who hasn't ... come on man ... its not like i work at a major oil refinery ... well -- BUT honestly - I would let the GROWATT do the charging ... but either way would work

You've probably missed the boat on this one. SignatureSolar has been offering a EU spec inverter running at 240VAC/60Hz single phase coupled with an auto transformer to provide 120/240VAC split phase. There have been some threads on it in the last few months.

This is also how many Victron systems get installed in the U.S. - Get their bigger higher power units that are 230VAC/50Hz and run them at 240VAC/60Hz coupled with a Victron autotransformer for 120/240VAC split phase.
I have 4 Growatt 5000 ES from SS and 30 Kwh of LiFe batteries. My batteries barely last 1 night. I also have a 22Kw Generac whole house generator. During a prolonged power outage my generac would auto start and supply power the the house same as grid bypass does, but the cost to run 24hr/day would be outrageous. Could I just change setting 14 from "Only Solar" to "Solar and utility" charging and have the generac charge the batteries 2 or 3 hours then turn off the generator and switch back to solar only and run off solar and batteries tiil depleted and repeat the process. would that work?

Back