diy solar

diy solar

Torn between Sol Ark 15k/48v or a Victron Energy Quattro 15k/48v

Tony S

FYI - Whatever setup I go with - it will be (hopefully) centrally located between our house and future garage build. All the solar equipment will be housed in a shipping container that we purchased 2 years ago and the array will be adjustable.

This means I'll have to run "Whatever size wiring" one direction to the house and the other direction to the garage with it's new panel.

1. Does one offer more than the other?
2. Is one easier than the other to install?
3. Will I have to buy extra components "equipment" to install one over the other?

Thank you,

Since you are in Ontario you will likely want a unit that produces 120/240VAC split phase.
The 15000VA quattro does straight 230VAC.

The sol-ark also includes 2 solar charge controllers while the Quattro has 0.
The sol-ark is easier and requires less balance of system components.
You will still need more stuff with either solution.

Since you are in Ontario you will likely want a unit that produces 120/240VAC split phase.
The 15000VA quattro does straight 230VAC.

The sol-ark also includes 2 solar charge controllers while the Quattro has 0.
The sol-ark is easier and requires less balance of system components.
You will still need more stuff with either solution.

Thank you, John. I must say a lot of this is over my head. But I really would like to do as much as I can as a DIY setup. Reading and watching so many videos when I have the time can be overwhelming and maybe a little confusing. I guess I'm not grasping it as I would like. But I'm still trying. (I'll go back and watch this one video for the 3rd if not 4th time. I thought they did just what I want to do and they used a Victron setup. Building A one one side, then container in the middle and on the other side of the container a future Building B with the one solar system to handle everything with 120/240v. But I've bene known to be wrong before.)

Thank you, John. I must say a lot of this is over my head. But I really would like to do as much as I can as a DIY setup. Reading and watching so many videos when I have the time can be overwhelming and maybe a little confusing. I guess I'm not grasping it as I would like. But I'm still trying. (I'll go back and watch this one video for the 3rd if not 4th time. I thought they did just what I want to do and they used a Victron setup. Building A one one side, then container in the middle and on the other side of the container a future Building B with the one solar system to handle everything with 120/240v. But I've bene known to be wrong before.)
Please link the video.

And light bulb glows. A-ah, they have 2 - 10k and not 2 -15k Victron units.
I found it in their Total Cost video that said what size they were.
But I just now clicked on the link they had under the install video and it would have told me there. (I might have been binge watching too much and got all confused....)

NOTE: I had come up with this same idea 2 years ago and purchased our container. It was nice to find someone doing it and to know it will work.
I had hoped that I could install ONE UNIT large enough to run our entire house and add a second one later - OLNY if need.

Here are the videos for your convenience:
Video 1: The Install.
Video 2: The Total Cost for their setup.

Last edited:
The real question is how much power do YOU need?

And how much 240v power do you need?

If you don’t need lots of 240v power , you could start with one Victron 10k and add an Victron Autoformer. Then add the second 10k inverter if needed.

Good Luck!

FYI - Whatever setup I go with - it will be (hopefully) centrally located between our house and future garage build. All the solar equipment will be housed in a shipping container that we purchased 2 years ago and the array will be adjustable.

This means I'll have to run "Whatever size wiring" one direction to the house and the other direction to the garage with it's new panel.

1. Does one offer more than the other?
2. Is one easier than the other to install?
3. Will I have to buy extra components "equipment" to install one over the other?

Thank you,
Probably the best way to go about is find out what you want to do.

One fridge. A barn? Whole house?

Then determine what power you need to do that.

Design your system with that in mind.

The Sol-Ark 15kwh is a powerful inverter and if you happen to need more you can easily add another in parallel.

I can’t speak to the Victron product line..

The real question is how much power do YOU need?

And how much 240v power do you need?

If you don’t need lots of 240v power , you could start with one Victron 10k and add an Victron Autoformer. Then add the second 10k inverter if needed.

Good Luck!

I like to keep the future in mind and options. As a car guy - I have hopes of finally having that nice garage. In other words, I don't want to be limited to what I can build "add on to" - IF needed. But the key thing now is to pick the right AIO, UL approved inverter and build my setup a little bigger than I need now and hopefully only use one Inverter to start.

I need to update my chart of usage with more recent info.

1670466667093.png

PreppenWolf (Was kind enough to suggest the following in another thread I have.)​

Ok so if you want to supply 100% offgrid, you need to panel and battery to meet Dec/Jan usage. Per your post the highest usage of those months in the 3 years posted is 621kwh. About 21kwh per day.

My recommendation for paneling would be 30kW total and batteries around 80kwh or more if you don't want to use a generator or grid at all.

If you want to run house 3/4 of the year go 20kW of panels and 60kW of batteries. Then supplement darkest months with grid or a generator.

Don't worry. I was in the same boat as you not long ago. This year I designed and built my own system with a Sol Ark 12k and a 12Kwp solar array and it has been amazing. Don't buy anything till you are confident what you need. It's really a lot simpler than you probably think. Once you built it, you will look back and laugh how simple most of it is. The hard part is the just the boring electrical/wiring part, imo

That may answer how big on the array and batteries, but for the inverter you need to know how many watts or amps you will be using at one time. Also, how many 240v amps (or watts) you will be using at one time (that’s probably the bigger question).

What 240v appliances do you have? A/C, water heater, well pump, stove, etc. and what 240v tools do you have and how many amps do they use?(what does the nameplate say?). And how many need to run at the same time.

I like Victron stuff and if I were to go off-grid, I would probably do something like what that YouTube channel did.

Although I might go with dual 5k inverters instead of the 10k inverters - but maybe not… (plus I would probably make my own batteries).

I like having separate components instead of an All in One. There are Pros and Cons on both.

I totally agree with mvonw - it will seem easier once you are done.

Yea don’t buy anything until your plans are complete!!!

I would recommend drawing both plans up (Victron & Sol-Ark). The learning that goes on is priceless.

I like to keep the future in mind and options. As a car guy - I have hopes of finally having that nice garage. In other words, I don't want to be limited to what I can build "add on to" - IF needed. But the key thing now is to pick the right AIO, UL approved inverter and build my setup a little bigger than I need now and hopefully only use one Inverter to start.

I need to update my chart of usage with more recent info.

1670466667093.png

PreppenWolf (Was kind enough to suggest the following in another thread I have.)​

Ok so if you want to supply 100% offgrid, you need to panel and battery to meet Dec/Jan usage. Per your post the highest usage of those months in the 3 years posted is 621kwh. About 21kwh per day.

My recommendation for paneling would be 30kW total and batteries around 80kwh or more if you don't want to use a generator or grid at all.

If you want to run house 3/4 of the year go 20kW of panels and 60kW of batteries. Then supplement darkest months with grid or a generator.
I think these recommendations are a bit high.
I'm currently almost covering about 20kwh per day with 5500 wp of panels and 15kwh of battery. In December. Battery is about half what I need but panels are plenty.

power audit of 240, split phase, and 110v separately.. and then audit when you have to have both on.. for example a geothermal open loop and the well pump running same time on 240, but the geo needs split phase to run the on board regulating and electronics.. its PIA..

That may answer how big on the array and batteries, but for the inverter you need to know how many watts or amps you will be using at one time. Also, how many 240v amps (or watts) you will be using at one time (that’s probably the bigger question).

What 240v appliances do you have? A/C, water heater, well pump, stove, etc. and what 240v tools do you have and how many amps do they use?(what does the nameplate say?). And how many need to run at the same time.

I like Victron stuff and if I were to go off-grid, I would probably do something like what that YouTube channel did.

Although I might go with dual 5k inverters instead of the 10k inverters - but maybe not… (plus I would probably make my own batteries).

I like having separate components instead of an All in One. There are Pros and Cons on both.

We currently have the Well Pump, Dryer, and possibly the Electric Hot Water Heater that are all 240v... Our future plans are to switch out the Electric Hot water heater for a heat pump model. (I'm not sure but I think they run on 110 vs 240v - But I can't seem to get one here. I looked last week at Home Depot.) We also plan, in the near future, to add 2 if not 4 Mr Cool Mini Splits, for a total of 2 dual units. (Because our house is a slab on grade with no ductwork and the MRS wants more control of room temps.) I don't know what all I'll have in my garage and the load they will need.

Last edited:
The Victron is not an All-in-One or UL approved.
The Victron Quattro is an inverter/charger.
An inverter/charger is an inverter, ac2dc charger and automatic transfer switch.
An AIO(all in one) is an inverter/charger plus 1 or more solar charge controllers.
The Sol-ark is an AIO.

The Victron Quattro is an inverter/charger.
An inverter/charger is an inverter, ac2dc charger and automatic transfer switch.
An AIO(all in one) is an inverter/charger plus 1 or more solar charge controllers.
The Sol-ark is an AIO.

It hit me today. I'm a little slow coming to the party. lol (But it is why I'm asking. I want to be extra sure before I purchase.)

Thnak you,

We currently have the Well Pump, Dryer, and possibly the Electric Hot Water Heater that are all 240v... Our future plans are to switch out the Electric Hot water heater for a heat pump model. (I'm not sure but I think they run on 110 vs 240v - But I can't seem to get one here. I looked last week at Home Depot.) We also plan, in the near future, to add 2 if not 4 Mr Cool Mini Splits, for a total of 2 dual units. (Because our house is a slab on grade with no ductwork and the MRS wants more control of room temps.) I don't know what all I'll have in my garage and the load they will need.
Go with a SolArk15 and stick with 240v as much as you can.

Back