diy solar

diy solar

Torque for Threaded Rod - (8) Cells, (6) 3/8 Rods

zeke_the_geek

I'm building 2 12v batteries in the same compression fixture. Because I have two groups of 4 cells, I have 6 3/8 rods to compress them. Can somebody help me out with how to calculate the torque required?

3/8 Rods
3/8 Nylon Locking Nuts w/ Flat Washers
Eve 280K Cells

I've read that you need to add ~5 in-lbs to the torque setting due to the nyloc nuts. Also, I'm thinking the torque value on the two rods between the cells would need to be higher than the outer 4?

Ended up going with standard nuts instead of nylocs. 4 rods on the end @ 5 in-lbs. 2 rods in the center @ 10 in-lbs. Measuring it is very equal across the fixture. So, I'm guessing the middles do have to have twice the torque.

Since there are no other responses, what I did was put a scale between my two plates to figure out how right the bolts had to be to get the pressure. Then I just replicated with the cells.

Since there are no other responses, what I did was put a scale between my two plates to figure out how right the bolts had to be to get the pressure. Then I just replicated with the cells.
Interesting. What lbs did you tighten to on the scale and on the torque socket?

Ended up going with standard nuts instead of nylocs. 4 rods on the end @ 5 in-lbs. 2 rods in the center @ 10 in-lbs. Measuring it is very equal across the fixture. So, I'm guessing the middles do have to have twice the torque.
With that torque, are the cells nice and tight or can you move them easily?

Back