diy solar

diy solar

Torque Wrench

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
Time for a new torque wrench!!

What recommendations? The ones I get on Amazon and Autozone are not working out. Mostly, under-reading a value and stripping out bolts.

For my solar installation, I'm looking at 1.5-12 NM (15-105 in/LBS). I would like a much broader range, but I'm sick of stripping bolts when torqueing to the proper setting, and would rather one that works.

I'd recommend to get a digital adapter. Even the cheap ones are more accurate than pretty much all mechanical torque wrenchs (while having a larger range too) and you have the advantage to be able to use different wrenchs with it. The downsides are that it requires batteries to work and it's bulkier.

For example: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Digital-Hig...221801?hash=item2867168869:g:UVQAAOSwV95bowRT

I have a 1/2" 340 N.m one and I'm very happy with it ;)

I'll probably buy the 30 N.m one in addition to it as the one I have only goes down to 17 N.m which is too much for small things (I bought it to do car maintenance as its main usage).

NB: two things to know: don't push the top right and top left buttons at the same time or you'll enter a calibration mode and given there's no documention on that mode you'll throw the calibration off and have a paper weight (general rule: don't push any two buttons at the same time). Some people reported the storage case was a bit too tight and tend to turn on the thing while stored away, depleting the batteries.

To mitigate both problems I carefully cut the buttons with a razor blade so they're almost flush with the casing. As a bonus it avoids inadvertently pushing the buttons while handling the thing too.

Last edited:
I picked up a Snap-On digital 1/4" torque wrench from a pawn shop a few years ago. It's saved my nuts more than once. Mine is this model.

Brand new, they're expensive. Used, they're a bargain.

mechanical torque wrenches need to be narrow in range. That is why most toolers have at least three in the box. I have a Craftsman 1/4 inch drive in/pound}{N/M that I use for most connections.

mechanical torque wrenches need to be narrow in range. That is why most toolers have at least three in the box. I have a Craftsman 1/4 inch drive in/pound}{N/M that I use for most connections.

Agreed. I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". The 1/4" wrench is the only digital one and the most expensive.

For light torque jobs in inch pounds, I have opted for a Snap On TE-12a torque wrench

CF13DC05-338F-48CD-B671-7F0ACDFCFF1A.jpeg
I have a few click torque wrenches, and for the light jobs in inch pounds, the click is often not loud or crisp enough to know you are at the proper level, and this risks over-torquing. With the needle torque wrench, it is very easy to see where you are at and how close you are to finishing.

I have read on the lithium cells with studs different specs from not more than 6 nm to 4 - 6 nm. After reading about studs snapping off from being over torqued, and seeing where mine were after a year of installation, I decided to go with 23 - 25 nm, or about 2.6 nm. My lugs were secured quite well to the studs at that level.

I use these toothed locking washers
422E3C95-EE64-4340-895D-77F4A4D76FA6.jpeg
With a serrated locking nut:
0061150D-48DE-4D3A-9A32-56AB7E742066.jpeg
I will torque to spec per once per year.

I was lucky enough to find the torque wrench for sale used at a fraction of the cost of new.

Back