diy solar

diy solar

Total home off grid

I think you mean short circuit, not open circuit???
Panel output voltage goes up as temperature goes down. Panel's Voc will increase in cold weather. You need to look up the temp coefficient for the panels and do the math for your coldest conditions.

Gotta ask ... "if the batteries do last their claimed cycle life (in one test, only 5% of brands did.) " ... So which brands were in the 5%?

"While many battery packs have experienced faults and/or failed prematurely, the Sony battery pack from Phase 1 has proven highly reliable, alongside the Pylontech and GNB Lithium battery packs from Phase 2. The Sony battery pack (Phase 1) has retained over 80% of its initial capacity after nearly 3,700 cycles. The Pylontech battery pack (Phase 2) has also retained over 75% of its initial capacity after nearly 2,800 cycles."

But prices today may be $0.10 on the dollar compared to then, so you can better afford the risk.
I think server rack batteries may pencil out to $0.05/kWh over 6000 claimed cycles (16 years). DIY batteries similar even if half the cycles assumed.

Two years ago, I looked up LG RESU for use with Sunny Island. 5x the price of SunXtender AGM, and 5x the cycle life.
For my grid-backup system I spent less, still expect to use only a fraction of cycles over 10 year life.
Meanwhile, recalls on RESU due to fires (also on Chevy "Blaze", I mean "Bolt" batteries.)

Today, 280 Ah LiFePO4 DIY would be half the price of SunXtender for same usable capacity, and 100A LiFePO4 server rack batteries same price per usable Ah.

Back