diy solar

diy solar

Totally confused...

Rcaldwell

I have a 200 sq ft cabin that has low power led lights installed, 10 @ 3 watts each, coming from an 80 Amp breaker box. The lights and a radio are all that will be used.
I want to install solar and stop using my generator. Unfortunately, the more I read, the more confused I get as to what I need. I am located in western NC and the cabin is only used from march to October over a few weekends.
What set up would be recommended?

So 30 watts and a radio? For that low of a load, you are a perfect fit for something like a Bluetti and a couple panels direct connected. I use a small 500wh Audew Lifepo4 solar generator with a foldout 100w TPsolar panel for HAM outings in the field. Lasts all night, and charges in the sunlight.

Attachments

• 16247550946115661119038117362931.jpg
    16247550946115661119038117362931.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 12
well, if you find the topic confusing do you mean "fun confusing" and I would like to build my own system...or...
"bad confusing" and I just want my problem solved???

given your very low power requirements you are a definite candidate for an out of the box solution.
Is the radio a normal radio or a HAM radio (thats a difference between 10w and 200w hehe)
either way, your budget is probably going to drive the answer.
You can certainly buy a "kit" like bluetti+solar for $2400 and be done with it.
If you diy something in that same price range you would get a LOT more capacity...but you will have to build it hehe

a 2400Wh bluetti unit to support your lights + radio(which are less than 100W load) would provide 24hours of runtime without the sun if you leave it all running all the time.

well, if you find the topic confusing do you mean "fun confusing" and I would like to build my own system...or...
"bad confusing" and I just want my problem solved???

given your very low power requirements you are a definite candidate for an out of the box solution.
Is the radio a normal radio or a HAM radio (thats a difference between 10w and 200w hehe)
either way, your budget is probably going to drive the answer.
You can certainly buy a "kit" like bluetti+solar for $2400 and be done with it.
If you diy something in that same price range you would get a LOT more capacity...but you will have to build it hehe

a 2400Wh bluetti unit to support your lights + radio(which are less than 100W load) would provide 24hours of runtime without the sun if you leave it all running all the time

I figured all I would need is the harbor freight kit or I could just use lantern batteries with that low of a wattage.
Thanks for the input yall

A few weekends isn't enough to make PV worth it.
Harbor Freight PV is a lower price point, not necessarily good value in terms of power per dollar.

Do you park near the cabin? I put a spare battery in my trunk, wired to a dual battery isolator. It charged while I drove, and I plugged a 12V cord from my RV to the car. That was a 12V system.

If your loads are AC, you can buy a small inverter. Possibly PWM is OK, or pure sine wave might work better.
You could carry a battery from car to cabin if it is too far for an extension cord.

How many hours to run the lights?
A 12V 100 Ah AGM battery is 1200 Wh, could be drained to 75% DoD for 900 Wh or 30 hours at 30W and might last 200 cycles. Cost $200 to $350.

You could add a PV panel and charge controller if you want it to last more than a weekend. About 10A to 20A charge controller for 0.1C to 0.2C charge rate of 100 Ah battery. 100W to 300W of PV panels, make sure voltage is within charge controller limits.

I figured all I would need is the harbor freight kit or I could just use lantern batteries with that low of a wattage.
Thanks for the input yall
PLEASE don’t buy the harbor freight kit…

huge limiting waste of money.

Define the radio you are using…

I use the rockpals 300 all the time. It handles everything I need to run and charge all the time. It has a 300Wh pack, and would run that load for 10 hours… I would get a 600Wh pack or larger, so you would have plenty of runtime from poor weather.
I also build from used laptop batteries fun projects. A decent BMS, and a bunch of batteries, a solar panel, and charge controller tied to a small inverter would last for years at that low a usage.
Drop me a message if you want to network or use something I have built. We live nearby…mount holly isn’t too far west, but I hit Asheville frequently enough.

If you can find a big cheap panel on craigslist it'd be a good start. Here is one i found with a quick search in Charlotte:

There are cheaper panels out there but this is an idea. You can keep it up at your cabin.
With a 12v deep cycle battery that you'd have to lug with you to maintain and a simple charge controller you could have quite a bit of power. And you'd likely become solar addicted like the rest of us.

And you'd likely become solar addicted like the rest of us.
If this bug bites you, you probably want to plan that first system not what you need right now, but for some things you want in that cabin. Maybe not for you, but to let others go also. My needs are very modest when I take my RV out, but then others join me and they want to do things like charge computers and run other higher wattage devices than I would run on my own. If you don’t want them out there, then I certainly understand that.

In my signature block, basics of off grid design, and two different areas big difference are good things to get you started. All comes down to getting a power requirement in watt hours and working back from there.

I love my bluetti ac200p, with a few solar panels it'll get you through a weekend, plus if you get a portable (semi-portable at 61lbs) you can use it at home as well

I love my bluetti ac200p, with a few solar panels it'll get you through a weekend, plus if you get a portable (semi-portable at 61lbs) you can use it at home as well
AC200P is overkill for the OP. An EB150 would be more in line for his current needs and ready for some future needs too.

Fwiw, I have an ac200p for my 1700 sq ft house, and I plan to get the EB150 to store excess electrons.

A basic small system of 2 6v golf cart battery a small 300watt inverter 40 amp charge controler and 600 watts of solar
will give good power and you have some extra capacity to grow .

Camp living can be a lot of fun because you are so close to the power. Every decision you make using energy results in success or failure. I see people here spending a lot of money on solar and living like refugees. The ideas here are as alien to me as mine are to them. Go overboard on solar panels, they are dirt cheap. Design a system that can run even in the rain and clouds and use next to nothing for a battery. I never spent near to $2400 and use only a car battery. I have refrigeration, hot water, dishwasher, large clothes washer along with other stuff. If you don't want to put up at least 2KW of panels, just stay home.

Panels from places like Harbor Freight are actually EXPENSIVE. They are crap, they won't last, and on a performance versus cost basis they suck. I just called a local dealer to ask him what panels he had on hand that I could buy for a buddy, and he had QCells, etc for $200; for a 370 watt panel. That is what I call cheap.

Sorry about the rant, and no offense meant to people who buy from Harbor Freight. But you get what you pay for. If I were you, I would look on Will's site, or many other similar ones, and go to Harbor Freight and buy one of their Pelican knockoff cases, and build your own portable system. Then invest in 1-4 quality panels that will likely last the rest of your life.

Back