diy solar

diy solar

Tough lug type question for lead acid battery?

anadiner

Always thought using OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) versus CCA (Copper-Clad Aluminum) lugs on battery posts was best.

Recently told to use tin lugs on lead-acid batteries.

Baffled. Is this true?

The lugs I use are Ftz. Like other quality marine lugs, they are tin plated copper. I suspect the copper is OFC. Never use aluminum lugs.

Always thought using OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) versus CCA (Copper-Clad Aluminum) lugs on battery posts was best.

Recently told to use tin lugs on lead-acid batteries.

Baffled. Is this true?
CCA and tinned lugs are not the same thing.

"Tinned" lugs are usually solid copper.

Yea I worded that wrong. I meant tin plated copper. Point is: I was told to use tin plated on lead acid to reduce corrosion. Wondering if thats true. Cant find info about it.

Yea I worded that wrong. I meant tin plated copper. Point is: I was told to use tin plated on lead acid to reduce corrosion. Wondering if thats true. Cant find info about it.
Meh.

It depends on the cell. Tinned is good if you have aluminum posts, possibly also good with lead posts.

If you have copper you should just put copper on copper.

Yes that is true.
Tin plated copper wire and lugs are recommended for marine environments because of the potential for corrosion.

Seal the lugs with protectant, get the water level correct and mind the voltage to minimize corrosion.

Back