diy solar

diy solar

Tow vehicle alternator/7 pin connector

Electrically it does on mine. Mechanically it goes to a junction box and joins the battery wire and the tongue jack at one terminal of a 30A self-reset breaker. Other terminal has the 12v system connection and slide out 20A self-reset circuit breaker.
Ok, that makes since now! So in theory, I can rewire the battery cable with the 7 pin 12v wire and the tongue jack together separately with the same 30A self reset breaker and still have tow vehicle charging. And then disconnect the 12v system connection and 20A self reset breaker from the this battery altogether, right?
Thanks for your patience, I'm in learning mode lol

Original wiring would leave the slide out powered up, when the 12v system switch was off. Might be an RVIA electrical code to prevent accidental slide out while on the road.
On mine it's impossible to force the worm gear arrangement. Slide Out was stuck shut for a while, lucky break freed it, and WD40 Silicon on the rollers keeps it working.
I rewired it to LiFePO4 power bus. 10gauge slide out power wires terminates under my entertainment center. Connected it to a fuse box, power my WIFI POE, and two cigarette lighter sockets. (for laptop or TV inverter). Moved 20A self reset breaker to the slide out control box.

Last edited:
Original wiring would leave the slide out powered up, when the 12v system switch was off. Might be an RVIA electrical code to prevent accidental slide out while on the road.
On mine it's impossible to force the worm gear arrangement. Slide Out was stuck shut for a while, lucky break freed it, and WD40 Silicon on the rollers keeps it working.
I rewired it to LiFePO4 power bus. 10gauge slide out power wires terminates under my entertainment center. Connected it to a fuse box, power my WIFI POE, and two cigarette lighter sockets. (for laptop or TV inverter). Moved 20A self reset breaker to the slide out control box.
Thanks Pappion. You've been a big help.

I've implemented some of what has been discussed in this thread.

A. I didn't want the 7-pin circuit charging my LiFePO4 battery bank.
B. I needed the trailer breakaway system to be powered no matter what.

I retained a small(ish) lead acid battery on the tongue that powers the trailer breakaway system, the tongue jack and it also starts the generator. The 7-pin circuit charges this battery. I also have a 170 watt PV panel and PWM solar charge controller to keep the battery topped up. Because the generator draws from the lead acid battery while running I have the original converter setup to charge the battery when 120v AC power is present (it's on a circuit breaker that I flip on/off). I don't use the generator that much so it's not a big deal.

This has been in place for two years and it's working well.

My next step will be to remove the original converter and wire up my Victron Multiplus to charge the lead acid battery. Beyond that, I might play around with removing the lead acid battery altogether and run everything from my LiFePO4 bank. In that case, the 7-pin circuit would not be used by anything on the trailer. However, it's working good now and I'm not inclined to "fix" it.

I've implemented some of what has been discussed in this thread.

A. I didn't want the 7-pin circuit charging my LiFePO4 battery bank.
B. I needed the trailer breakaway system to be powered no matter what.

I retained a small(ish) lead acid battery on the tongue that powers the trailer breakaway system, the tongue jack and it also starts the generator. The 7-pin circuit charges this battery. I also have a 170 watt PV panel and PWM solar charge controller to keep the battery topped up. Because the generator draws from the lead acid battery while running I have the original converter setup to charge the battery when 120v AC power is present (it's on a circuit breaker that I flip on/off). I don't use the generator that much so it's not a big deal.

This has been in place for two years and it's working well.

My next step will be to remove the original converter and wire up my Victron Multiplus to charge the lead acid battery. Beyond that, I might play around with removing the lead acid battery altogether and run everything from my LiFePO4 bank. In that case, the 7-pin circuit would not be used by anything on the trailer. However, it's working good now and I'm not inclined to "fix" it.
Thanks! Your setup is a big help. I also do not want the 7 pin circuit charging my LiFePO4 batteries and I want the breakaway system to be powered no matter what also.
I also want the the FLA battery on the tongue to be completely segregated from my LiFePO4 batteries.
Does your 170w PV only supply current to your FLA battery on the tongue for top off?

Correct. The two battery systems have no 12v interaction. If I ditch the lead acid battery on the tongue, I'll need to figure out if I'm going to keep the 170 watt solar panel.
If you ditch the FLA battery on the tongue then how would you supply power to the breakaway?

If you ditch the FLA battery on the tongue then how would you supply power to the breakaway?

Everything would come from the LiFePO4 bank. In version 1.0 of my install, I simply didn't have the time, budget or confidence to tie everything into the LiFePO4 bank.

Everything would come from the LiFePO4 bank. In version 1.0 of my install, I simply didn't have the time, budget or confidence to tie everything into the LiFePO4 bank.
Thanks for your response ?

Back