diy solar

diy solar

Toyhauler Solar Panels/MPP Sizing

rvtyme

Hello All.

I purchased a toyhauler with 3 190W Go Power Panels and a 30AMP Go Power PWM solar charge controller.

Specs of panel is:
Max Power Voltage (Vmp) 20.4V
Max Power Current (IMP) 9.45A
Open Circuit (VOC) 24.09
Short Circuit Current (9.98)

Not sure gauge of wire to roof gland but assume it support 30Amps?

I would like to do two things.

1. Change out the PWM controller and put in a Victron MPP - What size is needed for these three 190W panels? 100/30 work for this?

2. Like to either now or next year, add another 3 panels (probably stick with 190W panels). (What size controller is needed for 6 190W Panels)

I am super confused on how to size a Solar controller, Appreciate any clarifying assistance!

1. Change out the PWM controller and put in a Victron MPP - What size is needed for these three 190W panels? 100/30 work for this?
For volts you can run all in series.

Edit to fix my numbers, sorry
3x 190W = 570W
570W / 14V charging = 40.7A

100/50 is perfect.

2. Like to either now or next year, add another 3 panels (probably stick with 190W panels). (What size controller is needed for 6 190W Panels)
1240 / 14V =88A

array config 3S2P would keep volts low. Checking on suitable SCC…

Last edited:
The chance you can find the exact panel that is already installed is very low. The panels I bought less than two years ago are no longer available. You can come close, but there may be some losses if the volt/amp specs aren't the same. It may be worth your time to remove the existing panels and install what you really want.

An alternative would be to have two different strings. String A would be the existing panels on one controller. String B would be whatever panels you can fit on a different controller.

Back