diy solar

diy solar

Toyota Sienna hybrid electrical system

I dislike the renogy DC-DC that also includes MPPT solar as it's very limited. I'm of the opinion that they should be separate devices.

DC-DC charger between Sienna 12V and House battery and dedicated solar MPPT to house battery.
I have had the redarc dc-dc charger, the 50a model for about a year and a half. Its been trouble free, you dont even think about it. The only limitation Ive seen is that combined with a BMS equipped lifepo4, if the battery runs down and shuts down discharge, the system is dead until you introduce 12v+ between the two. (Obvious an issue for any "smart" system, to be dumb like this)
Silly me thought I could just start the car and once juice was flowing everything would work. I now carry a long cable with an anderson plug at one end that hooks to the main battery (to a fused anderson plug) and alligator clips on the other.
The redarc unit does have solar input, doesnt have to be used. I recently hooked up 2 100w panels to it, runs my National Luna freezer full time dont even have to start it.

I dont think it matters if the meter is on - or + wires, youll just see a - before the reading on one not the other. Youd want to be certain thats the only ground.
Your meter should have some kind of zeroing or trim adjustment, most do.

Without going too far off that topic, is this your first minivan? What are the interior dimensions like? As I mentioned previously, I heard some complaints that on its proportions Toyota was drifting away from the minivan format- less headroom, for one thing, and the raw specs reflect a significantly smaller interior (cargo capacity) volume.
Or is that volume loss solely the space occupied by second row seats?
On all previous generations, Siennas and Odysseys were as good as identical in interior dimensions.
I sure like the way the hybrid Sienna looks, saw a premium trim in that dark metallic blue it was just gorgeous. Had to be some compromises to get there. The only criticism I have seen of its driving manners is that there is a bit of throttle hesitation. Its a bit slower than the Odyssey but not to the point of being a deal breaker. (Not for 10 more mpg)

(I wont ask what you paid for it, but about a month ago a los angeles area dealer, who had apparently the only Limited Premium model immediately available in the whole region, had it advertised for I think $63,995. Bet they got it.)
Yes, this is my first minivan so I will not compare to previous Sienna generations. My goal is to remove the second-row seats maximizing the interior volume, adding a folding bench/bed.

I paid msrp for the van, no dealer markup and only adds ons were as I requested, spart tire and roof rails.

Yes, this is my first minivan so I will not compare to previous Sienna generations. My goal is to remove the second-row seats maximizing the interior volume, adding a folding bench/bed.

I paid msrp for the van, no dealer markup and only adds ons were as I requested, spart tire and roof rails.
I understand removing that second row is doable, something like 10hrs of labor (but maybe thats just the first guy that did it) and when I researched this a few months ago nobody had a solution for the error codes or panel lights that come on for the seat belts.
I seriously looked into buying one in november but it ended up being at least $10k more than I could swing, so I bought a 2016 Honda Odyssey in its highest trim (touring elite) instead. 2018s and newer have reliability issues and no rear AC. Already pulled the 2nd and 3rd rows.
Am working on a very strong platform over the tub for the third row, where a pair of 280ah lifepo4 batteries and a 2000 watt inverter will reside theres a hinged door for each.
Im still torn between a built in bed out of plywood with storage underneath and using a cot with storage bins underneath. The latter gives me more flexibity to haul stuff.

Last edited:
@sunshine_eggo Fantastic data! Would you mind sharing the line where you found the data?

I had searched and searched, talked to 3 dealerships and then emailed Toyota where they just referred me back to the dealer.

What's a Dealership? Oh... you mean STEALERship. Gotcha.

I have access to the Toyota Information System for $1200/year. I pulled it from their website. I can only share this additional screen capture:

1647470044662.png

Anyone with access to the system should be able to find the document with that information. I found it simply by searching for the 2022 Sienna HV model with keyword, "converter." Took me about 3 minutes after a few misses in the repair manual.

The difference is you have been talking to people who literally don't give a shit about you or your question. If they can't get money from your wallet, they have less than ZERO interest in helping you, and you are a waste of their time.

I'm a post whore because I kinda care and mostly want to help ?

If you asked on the Victron Community page as "ncj," you have been answered there as well. It was that post that tickled the memory of this thread.

I hate dealerships with a burning passion. Every damn one of them is populated with bad apples, and the culture encourages it. Yes, there are exceptions, but THIS is the norm. I encountered a gentlemen whos Prius died on the highway - completely dead. After being towed to a local dealership, he was told he needed $3600 of work to replace his hybrid battery and his 12V.

I got him on his way for $75. He paid more to the tow truck driver that brought his car from the dealership than me.

He needed 4 gallons of gas and a jump start.

His cluster was inop, and he couldn't see the gas gauge. He ran out of gas. It pulled his hybrid battery down to near empty and discharged the 12V in the process. After fueling, jumping and conducting some battery stress tests, he was good to go. He returned his rental he got a few hours earlier in the day and drove his car home. I heard from him a couple years later to replace the offending cluster, and both his 12V and hybrid battery were fine.

Dealers can't be trusted. Ever. They are not your friends. They are leeches.

I have access to the Toyota Information System for $1200/year. I pulled it from their website. I can only share this additional screen capture:

View attachment 87606

Anyone with access to the system should be able to find the document with that information. I found it simply by searching for the 2022 Sienna HV model with keyword, "converter." Took me about 3 minutes after a few misses in the repair manual.

The difference is you have been talking to people who literally don't give a shit about you or your question. If they can't get money from your wallet, they have less than ZERO interest in helping you, and you are a waste of their time.

If you asked on the Victron Community page as "ncj," you have been answered there as well. It was that post that tickled the memory of this thread.

I hate dealerships with a burning passion. Every damn one of them is populated with bad apples, and the culture encourages it. Yes, there are exceptions, but THIS is the norm. I encountered a gentlemen whos Prius died on the highway - completely dead. After being towed to a local dealership, he was told he needed $3600 of work to replace his hybrid battery and his 12V.

I got him on his way for $75. He paid more to the tow truck driver that brought his car from the dealership than me.

His cluster was inop, and he couldn't see the gas gauge. He ran out of gas. It pulled his hybrid battery down to near empty and discharged the 12V in the process. After fueling, jumping and conducting some battery stress tests, he was good to go. He returned his rental he got a few hours earlier in the day and drove his car home. I heard from him a couple years later to replace the offending cluster, and both his 12V and hybrid battery were fine.

Friend of mine ran their prius out of gas, draining both electrical systems. After the tow to the dealer he was charged over $1000 for charging and a "system reset".

View attachment 87606

Thanks for the information about TIS, good to know it is available for a 2-day rental if ever needed.

Correct you are, out of desperation I signed up to the Victron Community page, didn't really expect to find the answer there but I was running out of ideas. You have summarized my thought of auto dealers quite well "Dealers can't be trusted. Ever. They are not your friends. They are leeches."

Now if I could only get some help with my electrical plan review in the Safety Check Section, after a couple of responses help seems to have vaporized so the thread has died.

Ive had similar experience in dealer service, but I will also play devils advocate.
A friend Ive known for over 35 years has been selling cars about 8 years for at least 3 new dealers and now for Hertz. He has told me in the past that new cars are sold at such a slim markup that unless the manufacturer has some lucrative secret incentives, the dealers as often as not acually lose a few hundred bucks on each unit and are left with the service dept for revenue to keep afloat an operation with a lot of overhead.
Not excusing dishonesty but people often assume their ~$25k purchase leaves a cushion for the business to extend goodwill services and not seek profit at every opportunity. Apparently not the case.

Friend of mine ran their prius out of gas, draining both electrical systems. After the tow to the dealer he was charged over $1000 for charging and a "system reset".

Yep. Stealership.

Ive had similar experience in dealer service, but I will also play devils advocate.
A friend Ive known for over 35 years has been selling cars about 8 years for at least 3 new dealers and now for Hertz. He has told me in the past that new cars are sold at such a slim markup that unless the manufacturer has some lucrative secret incentives, the dealers as often as not acually lose a few hundred bucks on each unit and are left with the service dept for revenue to keep afloat an operation with a lot of overhead.
Not excusing dishonesty but people often assume their ~$25k purchase leaves a cushion for the business to extend goodwill services and not seek profit at every opportunity. Apparently not the case.

Mostly agree. New car sales have thin margins on a sale-by-sale gross profit basis, but there are often substantial monthly sales volume incentives offered by the manufacturers. When that is achieved, and it usually is, the profit margin is respectable. Additionally, there are additional revenues to be had through financing through the dealership, where they get yet another cut, 3rd party warranty commissions, etc. They have multiple ways of generating profit beyond the simple sales price vs. cost of goods sold margin.

The service department produces the largest portion of profit.

This article summarizes it nicely:

Numbers have probably changed since 2019, and are probably all over the map given the current new-car availability situation (or lack thereof).

None of it justifies predatory or dishonest tactics, yet that's the norm at most dealerships. It's entire structure - how mechanics are paid and labor is billed is completely corrupt.

Around 2018 Toyota dropped the list price of the 04-07 Prius HV battery from about $2600 to $1950. Most dealerships lowered the amount they charge to replace by exactly $0. Their cost on the pack is about $1400, and their OTD charge is about $3000. $1450 profit (pulled out a little for sales tax) for 1-2 hours of labor. Criminal.

Back