diy solar

diy solar

Trace SW 4024 inverter users

Hello,

Are there any Trace SW 4024 inverter users out there? If so, I’d like to hear from you and maybe share user info and experiences.

Thanks!

Neighbor has one. Running since 1999 with zero issues.

That vintage is bulletproof.

Mine are actually SW4048's.

Also have two SW5548plus models (further back in picture) They just run the 4 ton central air cond mostly. They have high surge current capability. Both pairs are series connected for 240vac split phase operation.

I have SW 4024. 1996 vintage. I’m new to this solar and I have plenty of questions. 5 out of 12 batteries failed. I’m thinking about switching to lithium ion vs lead acid. I wonder if the inverter can charge the new batts and how to program it to control the charge correctly

I have one 20 year-old Trace SW4024/FLA system in my well shed - combined with a xantrex T-240 transformer it runs my well pump and acts as a backup system for the Schneider SW4024/LFP that runs my house. Like the man said, damn near bulletproof. And heavy, whoo-boy... don't try lifting that baby by yourself. Best.

I have SW 4024. 1996 vintage. I’m new to this solar and I have plenty of questions. 5 out of 12 batteries failed. I’m thinking about switching to lithium ion vs lead acid. I wonder if the inverter can charge the new batts and how to program it to control the charge correctly

It will charge LiFePO4. Should explain your 5 out of 12 batteries failed statement in more details.

LiFePO4 will not take well to overcharging. If you are killing batteries because you are overcharging them LiFePO4 batteries will just be a more expensive mistake.

You should describe how you are using inverter, what are your batteries, and what your present charger settings are to know best way to set up charging.

It will charge LiFePO4. Should explain your 5 out of 12 batteries failed statement in more details.

LiFePO4 will not take well to overcharging. If you are killing batteries because you are overcharging them LiFePO4 batteries will just be a more expensive mistake.

You should describe how you are using inverter, what are your batteries, and what your present charger settings are to know best way to set up charging.

So this is a weekend home, I do my best to maintain the lead batteries but I’m only there on the weekends. Here is a picof the voltage I’ve read in the last 2 weeks. I plan on thru the setting this weekend.
I have now 12 Trojan 6 volt 435AH 4 in series, 3 banks witch I think is around 1200 AH set up.

i have a gen back up to maintain the charge but it only starts manually so i need to be there. I have read the manual and found out that there is a gen start relay, witch is great but I wonder about the glow plugs?

with the 5 batteries bad and the lack of Maintaince I can do I’m looking at A lithium setup. And the auto start of the gen set

Attachments

• 25489959-8969-45AE-9E2A-61B8C623633F.jpeg
    25489959-8969-45AE-9E2A-61B8C623633F.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 18
Yes, the SW4024 can control a diesel gen with a glow plug. There are three relays used for gen starting. One controls a glow plug.

Is the inverter left on when you are not there?

These?

Did you maintain fluid levels and monitor specific gravity? Did you run equalization charges?
I filled the water every weekend distilled water. I never equalized the batteries. My bad. Im very new to this. I got
just got the gravity meter. Will look at that this weekend.
I’m going to log all the settings now that I know how to get to them.
yes they are the batteries

Before you make any attempt at recovery via epsom salt or whatnot, or replacing them, equalizing the batteries is necessary as is ensuring your solar charge controller is configured correctly. Since this is a generic SW4024 thread, I've started a new thread in the battery section:

Pick up a DC capable clamp on amp meter before you go.

You are going to have to re-juggle the batteries to separate out the low voltage batteries. Leaving bad in series with good ones will just screw the good ones up.

You can make one good string, one bad string.

I would work on individual string at a time. Of the five bad, hold out the best of five bad. Series connect the four remaining bad batteries and try to charge them up first. If you make some progress, swap in the 5th bad one. Object is to bring all the five bad ones along without getting too much difference in series connected batteries. If one just doesn't come along just leave it out and charge up the remaining four weakest batteries.

No higher then 7.2v per battery til all in series get close to that number. Then you can take to equalize to 7.6v per battery for about 30 mins.

No more charge current then 50 amps per battery at first, watching each battery's voltage. You can take to 65 amps if series batteries voltages are matching fairly close.

Remember the SW4024 charge current setting is in 120vac current NOT battery current. 50 amps at battery is about 12 amps at 120vac at SW4024 charger setting for 26 v batteries. Verify with clamp on DC amp meter.

Battery voltage X battery charge current / inverter efficiency (0.92) = watts of power. Watts of power/120 vac is AC charger setting.

Attachments

• 24v 3 string L16.png
    24v 3 string L16.png
    419.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It sounds like the batteries may be overcharged if they required adding water every week.

Perhaps @Olliewood can start a new thread about battery maintenance etc?

I am completely unfamiliar with the Schneider conext and am interested in learning about a 48v system to run off battery primarily with grid backup. Sounds like the SW 4048 would be the choice?

I was concerned about reliability since I will be away from it at times but it sounds like these have been a workhorse for some of you.

The next concern is about all the “extras” needed and the cost involved.

It looks like you need to add the screen to get all the functionality? That is around $300 extra??

I also see Schneider switchgear, both AC and DC. Is this “nice to have” or worth the extra cost (and I don’t know what the costs are) ?

Unfortunately Schneider Conext SW4048 used same model number as original Trace SW4048. Two entirely different inverters, I haven't used Conext SW4048 but probably good. I don't like the 'nickel and dime' extras to get a control panel.

1597407203054.pngIMG_0447.png

Last edited:
So actually I was hijacking aTracer thread without realizing it ?

I started a new thread here:

Last edited:
Pick up a DC capable clamp on amp meter before you go.

You are going to have to re-juggle the batteries to separate out the low voltage batteries. Leaving bad in series with good ones will just screw the good ones up.

You can make one good string, one bad string.

I would work on individual string at a time. Of the five bad, hold out the best of five bad. Series connect the four remaining bad batteries and try to charge them up first. If you make some progress, swap in the 5th bad one. Object is to bring all the five bad ones along without getting too much difference in series connected batteries. If one just doesn't come along just leave it out and charge up the remaining four weakest batteries.

No higher then 7.2v per battery til all in series get close to that number. Then you can take to equalize to 7.6v per battery for about 30 mins.

No more charge current then 50 amps per battery at first, watching each battery's voltage. You can take to 65 amps if series batteries voltages are matching fairly close.

Remember the SW4024 charge current setting is in 120vac current NOT battery current. 50 amps at battery is about 12 amps at 120vac at SW4024 charger setting for 26 v batteries. Verify with clamp on DC amp meter.

Battery voltage X battery charge current / inverter efficiency (0.92) = watts of power. Watts of power/120 vac is AC charger setting.

I have opted to replace the batteries. I think lithium will be the better option for my set up. Does anyone have input on Relion 24v batteries vrs Eclipse 24v lifepo4? I’m looking at 24 v 200amp Hr Set up. I feel that this will support my load. I will only have to make sure it won’t freeze. I can do that easily.
I also wonder if there is anybody in the Pacific north west? I’m finding really hard to find someone who understands the old equipment that I have. Thanks again for all the info and input.

Hello,

Are there any Trace SW 4024 inverter users out there? If so, I’d like to hear from you and maybe share user info and experiences.

Thanks!
Hello, I have been running a pair of Trace 4024SW inverters with a small bank of forklift batteries & a 5KW solar panels array. I'm going to replace the batteries with lithium ion batteries soon. I like the inverters because they're easy to use. Also, Dean Abney in Redmond, Oregon rebuilds them so I have a reliable source for replacement if needed.

Back