diy solar

diy solar

Trace/Xantrex SW Series from “back in the day”, as Will would say.

Hebdomatical

I have an old Trace/Xantrex SW2512 Inverter/Charger. I would like to know the best settings and understand those settings for the new LiFePo4 batteries.

This is not the newer Schneider Conext SW series, but an original by Trace from the last millennium.

Complete system is:
6 Kyocera KC120-1 panels on a flat roof to a
Trace C40 Charge/Load controller, (not currently connected to new batteries)
The Trace SW2512 Inverter/Charger with 4.01 software.

all of the above from 1997.

and two new 12.8V 206Ah SOK batteries.

I will be using the system in an effort to lessen the effect of the California power outages on my refrigerator and freezer. These two cooling devices and a 20” box fan are the only devices that will be powered.

During a recent outage I had jumper cables between my running truck and two old automotive batteries connected to the inverter. So I know the inverter can handle the load I wish to power.

The SOK battery company has given me a Bulk charge voltage of 14.6V and an Absorption time of two hours for my two batteries and a recommended charge rate of 40A per battery. These are programmed into the SW2512 and seem to be working (with a few particularities). The CSR Rep at SOK has no familiarization with my antiquated equipment.

Now on to my specific questions:
Is anyone using LiFePo4 batteries with the Trace SW series?
What settings are you using?
If so what idiosyncrasies have you encountered?

Same questions for the Trace C40 Charge Controller?

I am currently running in Silent mode which provides no Float battery charging. When I get the Trace C40 Charge Controller set up that will provide the Float charge, or so that is my theory.

The Bulk charging timer is disabled, so I have to manually initiate a Bulk and Absorption charge cycle. These are precautionary settings as I do not wish to damage these batteries.

Other settings to note:
Low battery cut out 11.5V
Low battery cut out delay 15Min.
Low battery cut in 12V
Bulk charge 14.6V
Absorption time 2:00 hours
Equalizing disabled
Maximum charge amps AC is 8Amps which approximates a DC 64Amps charge rate.
No temperature compensation is connected.

Thanks for any appropriate comments.

New forum member here same system same era making same battery change 5 months after the last post above...........so how did it go?

I did add another meter to the installation so I could monitor both the output current from the solar array and the input current to the batteries. Limited the Trace inverter to 8A ac; this is under the "Max Charge amps AC" setting. So 4A ac for each 206AH battery in parallel. The bulk/absorption cycles happen automatically whenever the power comes back on. I have a tendency to keep the charge level kind of high 80-100% most of the time. Have a switch on the panels which I turn off during those many days/weeks/months of sunny weather to let the battery level decline. All is working and from what I have read the high charge value is like the 4th or 5th worse thing you can do to these batteries. So it is way down the line of concerns at this point. I only use this system as back up for my two refrigeration appliances.

I did add another meter to the installation so I could monitor both the output current from the solar array and the input current to the batteries. Limited the Trace inverter to 8A ac; this is under the "Max Charge amps AC" setting. So 4A ac for each 206AH battery in parallel. The bulk/absorption cycles happen automatically whenever the power comes back on. I have a tendency to keep the charge level kind of high 80-100% most of the time. Have a switch on the panels which I turn off during those many days/weeks/months of sunny weather to let the battery level decline. All is working and from what I have read the high charge value is like the 4th or 5th worse thing you can do to these batteries. So it is way down the line of concerns at this point. I only use this system as back up for my two refrigeration appliances.
great to hear. Are those inverter settings which you had posted still the ones you prefer? Also the rep from Xantrex said there are two pots in the C40 that can be set to favor lithium using a meter.

I used the POTS in the C40 to adjust the voltage. Don’t remember both settings, but one was 14.6 volts for the bulk setting. All other settings above are unchanged.

Man at Xantrex says that info is still on website. Good stuff. thanks

this is my rig that we are upgrading I will keep you updated . cheers.

Attachments

• Old setup m2 .jpg
    Old setup m2 .jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 26
I've been searching everywhere for the answer to this question. I've got dual SW5548's from 1999, and the battery company I spoke with (SOK), they told me I'd need to check the inverters' battery parameters, but that was it. Being new to all of this, I've found the information, but this post answers the question. Time to buy batteries!! And, thanks!

Proof indeed as to the quality of the Gudgel’s Engineering prowess

Robin and boB Gudgel designed and engineered the following brands.....

TRACE>>>>>>>ZANTREX>>>>>>>SCHNEIDER

OUTBACK SOLAR

MIDNIGHT SOLAR

Back