diy solar

diy solar

Trace Xantrex SW4024 Tricking search mode with led and low loads can there be a false or dummy load to activate the search on the inverter?

kanelr

HI.
We have a trace SW4024.
1-One feature is a search mode where the inverter , instead of being on. is idling, looking for reasons to be on, and sends out a tiny search pulse looking for a load request (my own lingo sorry). When you switch on a light it knows and quickly inverts. This method can save power. Thats great but our sump pump has a micro circuit looking for power failures as it awaits its own chance to run free and pump water. This circuit is getting confused by the every 16 second search pulse from the inverter. I am thinking some kind of big capacitor could be used to store just enough energy in paralell with that sump processor to keep it "normal" between pulses. Ideas? We won't usually have that sump on the batteries but is should be "right" if/when needed.
2-same feature "search mode" the lowest search load it will trigger from is 20 watts. One or more rooms has less than that due to good led bulbs. those rooms won't turn on the inverter unless you add some load like switching on two rooms at first. Is there, can we i someone make a false load that dissappears in a second or two? Maybe even like those flasher buttons you can screw in under a light bulb base.... but just a load that opens up with a snap disk...

The only time search or low power modes are useful is if you absolutely, positively do not need any AC power for any reason whatsoever at all. Ever.

IMHO, disable search mode and live with the relatively low idle power consumption. IIRC, the SW4024 isn't even 30W.

The only time search or low power modes are useful is if you absolutely, positively do not need any AC power for any reason whatsoever at all. Ever.

IMHO, disable search mode and live with the relatively low idle power consumption. IIRC, the SW4024 isn't even 30W.
actually for us exclusively having lights on the inverter in a house full of windows, it made sense. That was in the incandescent era. As the needs change so might my thinking. good point. will look into that

HI.
We have a trace SW4024.
1-One feature is a search mode where the inverter , instead of being on. is idling, looking for reasons to be on, and sends out a tiny search pulse looking for a load request (my own lingo sorry). When you switch on a light it knows and quickly inverts. This method can save power. Thats great but our sump pump has a micro circuit looking for power failures as it awaits its own chance to run free and pump water. This circuit is getting confused by the every 16 second search pulse from the inverter. I am thinking some kind of big capacitor could be used to store just enough energy in paralell with that sump processor to keep it "normal" between pulses. Ideas? We won't usually have that sump on the batteries but is should be "right" if/when needed.
2-same feature "search mode" the lowest search load it will trigger from is 20 watts. One or more rooms has less than that due to good led bulbs. those rooms won't turn on the inverter unless you add some load like switching on two rooms at first. Is there, can we i someone make a false load that dissappears in a second or two? Maybe even like those flasher buttons you can screw in under a light bulb base.... but just a load that opens up with a snap disk...
I have that inverter. Search mode is sensing a 16w min. load. Search spacing is also programmable if that helps. Like others said, in search mode it draws 1w. In on, idle mode it draws 16w (equivalent of two led light bulbs). This inverter has the lowest power consumption EVER for its power output. It's a workhorse and a gem.

Back