diy solar

diy solar

Traditional Battery Case for 280ah Cells

See his response in my previous post.
Got it thanks so much. Those Pelican boxes must be REALLY nice for that kind of price. Close to if not the $200.00 mark!
I am thinking more and more along the lines of the cooler idea. I don't know what the application is off those using the Pelican box but it must be some pretty rugged environment. My battery will be inside and rarely, if ever, transported. It will be set up in a remote cabin that essentially has a 12v RV-like electrical system that only runs LED lights, a 12v water pump and a blower motor. Since I am not pulling a ton of amps, usually less than 12 amps, I don't anticipate much heat being generated by the BMS and, in reality, no heat from the battery itself at that low of an amp draw.
Now, having said that, I do have a 500 watt inverter that is rarely used and when it is used it is to power 120v, lower amp draw items like a computer, LED TV etc. And, when the inverter is used it is not for an extended amount of time. Yes, I know if I were to use the inverter close to its maximum capacity I would potentially be pulling 40 or more 12v DC amps. Honestly, I can't think of anytime we pulled even close to that.
So, I suspect there will very little heat generated inside the "battery box". Besides, the BMS I will be using has a high and low temperature cut off so if the environment inside the battery enclosure gets too hot and the BMS shuts down any current draw I will know it and adjust accordingly (take the lid off, create ventilation wholes or install a small exhaust fan). But, honestly, I don't think heat will be a problem. If I am wrong at least I have a plan.

Got it thanks so much. Those Pelican boxes must be REALLY nice for that kind of price. Close to if not the $200.00 mark!
I am thinking more and more along the lines of the cooler idea. I don't know what the application is off those using the Pelican box but it must be some pretty rugged environment. My battery will be inside and rarely, if ever, transported. It will be set up in a remote cabin that essentially has a 12v RV-like electrical system that only runs LED lights, a 12v water pump and a blower motor. Since I am not pulling a ton of amps, usually less than 12 amps, I don't anticipate much heat being generated by the BMS and, in reality, no heat from the battery itself at that low of an amp draw.
Now, having said that, I do have a 500 watt inverter that is rarely used and when it is used it is to power 120v, lower amp draw items like a computer, LED TV etc. And, when the inverter is used it is not for an extended amount of time. Yes, I know if I were to use the inverter close to its maximum capacity I would potentially be pulling 40 or more 12v DC amps. Honestly, I can't think of anytime we pulled even close to that.
So, I suspect there will very little heat generated inside the "battery box". Besides, the BMS I will be using has a high and low temperature cut off so if the environment inside the battery enclosure gets too hot and the BMS shuts down any current draw I will know it and adjust accordingly (take the lid off, create ventilation wholes or install a small exhaust fan). But, honestly, I don't think heat will be a problem. If I am wrong at least I have a plan.
I did not want to spend this much on the box for the project but I did anyways because I kept going back to it. I do recall looking around and got it under $200 though. But regarding boxes there are so many and other ways I would go about it if I do build another. But similar cases by other brands are pretty affordable and well built. And then there's the rolling plastic tool boxes that you can get maybe find some on black Friday for good deal.

I do a good few of ultra running races and most are looped so my aid station is my car, pretty much using mine for powering fridge lights at night etc. I also use it for camping having 2000watt inverter etc all in one small package. Can charge camera gear phones whatever. Normally I go into areas that are pretty remote.

For your needs it would be cool to adapt yours into some furniture piece. Find something that you could pretty much build the battery inside and have some hidden ports. Something you already have or find something used looking on FB market or Craigslist.

Back