diy solar

diy solar

Traditional Battery Case for 280ah Cells

Great ideas, and great luck to you!

I am far earlier in my journey, waiting for my first delivery of cells, and moving on from there. I hope to make a 12V 280 AH battery along with a control board (rather than an all-in-one for cost purposes). Then once I have charging and distribution down, I will include solar panels to finish it off on our Grand Design Fifth Wheel.

I will keep the list informed as I go, and I just need to say again, thanks for sharing, your information and postings help all of us gain knowledge on this journey.

Well all my battery boxes are on the way. Chen my contact at the link below worked with Amy at Xuba to get them shipped with my 280ah cells. Amy is great she took care of everything. Shipping was only $52 extra above the cells shipping. I think it would have been less if I wouldn't of had 1 extra empty box. Amy put the cells in the box and used a lot of foam to fill in. The 5 boxes ended up costing about $48 each

Will post more when I get them in.

Greg
View attachment 19289
12v 180Ah ABS AGM Lead acid lithium empty plastic ...
$24.70 - $32.50

View attachment 19289
I am trying to order these cases through the link you provided but they are quoting me $210 for two cases shipped and the invoice states that I will need to pay import fees, duty etc. I don’t have experience ordering items from alibaba but am I missing something or doing something wrong?

I am trying to order these cases through the link you provided but they are quoting me $210 for two cases shipped and the invoice states that I will need to pay import fees, duty etc. I don’t have experience ordering items from alibaba but am I missing something or doing something wrong?
The shipping is expensive at the moment. I have just ordered Lishen Cells from Shenzen Luyuan. The cases (from the link - thanks a million btw!) have been sent to Sehnzen Luyuan to be included. The shipping was extra $115 for 8 cases (with 32 cells already being shipped). tbh I thnk your quote for the cases shipped on their own was cheaper than mine

Here are a couple of pics with the Eve 280ah cells and BMS inside. Fit is perfect with room on the end for BMS. Just thinking how I'm going to secure them in the box. Terminals on lid are M8. Comes with handles. Will most likely use screw to secure lid.

Greg
Thanks a million for the link and all the info - I've ordered them to be sent to Amy who is now at Shenzen Luyuan (pretty sure it's the same person). She got a me a good deal on the Lishen Cells as well.

Just a couple of things I'm looking at now -
1) Terminals, i was thinking of using either copper bolts and washers both sides - OR, possibly car battery posts on the outside for easy compatibility with leisure batteries

2) What options are there for strapping/compressing the cells against gas expansion? Looks pretty tight in there.

Last edited:
Four of the EVE 280ah or Lishen 272ah cells weighs apx. 45lbs. The product description of that case states "MTM Ammo Can easily handles 30 pounds of gear." It might be ok for 200ah or less cells.

Another thing to keep in mind is with that kind of weight the bottom will flex thus stressing the terminals of the cells. So with any of these cases I think it's a good idea to put plywood in the bottom. Also if you intend to compress the cells some additional room is needed for the compression fixture.

Four of the EVE 280ah or Lishen 272ah cells weighs apx. 45lbs. The product description of that case states "MTM Ammo Can easily handles 30 pounds of gear." It might be ok for 200ah or less cells.

Another thing to keep in mind is with that kind of weight the bottom will flex thus stressing the terminals of the cells. So with any of these cases I think it's a good idea to put plywood in the bottom. Also if you intend to compress the cells some additional room is needed for the compression fixture.
All good points, especially not stressing the terminals. From the comments it seems people are carring 45-65lbs in them w/o issue.

I'm considering / comparing this to a group 27 (flexible) battery box since I won't be moving it around.
For securing the cells I'm planning on using fiberglass reinforced strapping tape (several wraps) around the sides (top/bottom). I'll defintely check to make sure the secures them well enough so that I don't stress the terminals and/or use some plywood on the bottom.

Hoping the tape might also help with compression though not sure the importance of that since I'm looking at a typical < 0.2C charge/discharge - and the compression from their aluminum case does provide some pressure. The manual I've seen for my 272Ah Lishen cells doesn't even mention compression so hoping it won't be critical and/or I'll get some PSI from the tape. If I change my mind about the need for compression I may just go with a custom plywood box or use a 1/4" threaded rod though with that setup I'm also concerned that I might over compress them. Finally with my use pattern (sailboat) calendar aging is more likely to be my issue.

Well, all of these ideas are certainly food for thought. I finally received my cells, and after several months of working and traveling, I am about to assemble the first of what I hope to be many batteries.

Some background for any who care:
I ordered four 280 AH cells from Alixpress and received them just before leaving for Christmas .

The cells are in good shape, and each is reading 3.29. Not bad for shipping and sitting.

I have decided to use a CAMCO group 24-31 battery box. It has a divider inside to set the size of the internal space. This will allow for the BMS and wiring at one end of the box. There is also room on top of the battery and below the lid for connecting up a coulomb meter, shunt and so on.

I am making a power supply into a charging unit. Its a Dell 1100 watt server PSU, I have two in case i need a second. I am about to hook that up today and see if I can get the thing to where I want it. One thing I did order from Ali was a 40A boost converter. I am using this to fine tune the voltage on the PSU, rather than worrying about trim pots and cutting legs on chips. I realize I will sacrifice some amperage, but I think 40A is plenty and not sure I even need that.

I will be trying to use Hose clamps to restrain the batteries from expanding. The case itself is tight, but there is a 1/4 inch or so around all sides. Since I can very the length (remember that insert I mentioned earlier), I may add plywood ends to prevent the hose clamps from digging into the battery casing.

I also have a buck converter for the PSU and that will allow me to either bottom or top balance the pack as I put it together.

That's it so far. Pictures will follow later today or tomorrow as I am able to take the time. Can some one indicate how to cross post, so that I can include this in the power supply forum area?

Thanks again and stand by for more shenanigans!

Well, all of these ideas are certainly food for thought. I finally received my cells, and after several months of working and traveling, I am about to assemble the first of what I hope to be many batteries.

Some background for any who care:
I ordered four 280 AH cells from Alixpress and received them just before leaving for Christmas .

The cells are in good shape, and each is reading 3.29. Not bad for shipping and sitting.

I have decided to use a CAMCO group 24-31 battery box. It has a divider inside to set the size of the internal space. This will allow for the BMS and wiring at one end of the box. There is also room on top of the battery and below the lid for connecting up a coulomb meter, shunt and so on.

I am making a power supply into a charging unit. Its a Dell 1100 watt server PSU, I have two in case i need a second. I am about to hook that up today and see if I can get the thing to where I want it. One thing I did order from Ali was a 40A boost converter. I am using this to fine tune the voltage on the PSU, rather than worrying about trim pots and cutting legs on chips. I realize I will sacrifice some amperage, but I think 40A is plenty and not sure I even need that.

I will be trying to use Hose clamps to restrain the batteries from expanding. The case itself is tight, but there is a 1/4 inch or so around all sides. Since I can very the length (remember that insert I mentioned earlier), I may add plywood ends to prevent the hose clamps from digging into the battery casing.

I also have a buck converter for the PSU and that will allow me to either bottom or top balance the pack as I put it together.

That's it so far. Pictures will follow later today or tomorrow as I am able to take the time. Can some one indicate how to cross post, so that I can include this in the power supply forum area?

Thanks again and stand by for more shenanigans!
Have you got a link for the 40A boost converter?

I m planning on the same with hose clips but using steel plates at the ends. With rounded edges so the clips can slide past the corner with less stress. Definitely take care to protect the corners of the cells.

Decided I will use some aluminum 3/8 bar across the short end of the battery bank to avoid edges becoming deformed. Had thought to use plywood, but I think the AL bar is a better idea.

I am having an issue with this boost converter. I cannot get it to respond correctly. I am setting it at 14.1V, but when I connect it, it reverts to a reading of 13.12, the voltage of the battery. I believe that is because I have not set the amperage properly. If you know anything about that, let me know. meanwhile I am off to buy a multimeter with DC amperage measurement.

Decided I will use some aluminum 3/8 bar across the short end of the battery bank to avoid edges becoming deformed. Had thought to use plywood, but I think the AL bar is a better idea.

I am having an issue with this boost converter. I cannot get it to respond correctly. I am setting it at 14.1V, but when I connect it, it reverts to a reading of 13.12, the voltage of the battery. I believe that is because I have not set the amperage properly. If you know anything about that, let me know. meanwhile I am off to buy a multimeter with DC amperage measurement.
That'll probably need to be a clamp meter for the current that you're talking.

That boost converter looks quite small for 40A. The specs on these tend to be quite exaggerated. Like they'll give the maximum possible theoretical current under certain conditions. So like to convert 3V to 3.2V and you need an extra heatsink.

That boost converter looks quite small for 40A. The specs on these tend to be quite exaggerated. Like they'll give the maximum possible theoretical current under certain conditions. So like to convert 3V to 3.2V and you need an extra heatsink.
I agree, There is a heat sink and fan on this one, so I expect something over 20A but I don't expect the full 40. And yes a clamp meter is what I am picking up today.;)

I bought 2 of the battery boxes one arrived on good condition the other has a deep indentation of a nut in the battery post. Talking to the company to see if they can ship a new battery box top. Must of happened when they threaded the hole for the screw and went to deep.
I have never bought items from China to US. Did you have to pay any additional duties or taxes on boxes besides shipping?
Thank You in advance

It was actually very simple. Average delivery seems to be about 4 weeks. More for things like cells, but really pretty good. No customs or duties so far, AliExpress takes care of that. I also usually opt for items with free shipping. Seems like every vendor on AliExpress carries the same items, so pricing with delivery is the way I go. Hope that helps.

It was actually very simple. Average delivery seems to be about 4 weeks. More for things like cells, but really pretty good. No customs or duties so far, AliExpress takes care of that. I also usually opt for items with free shipping. Seems like every vendor on AliExpress carries the same items, so pricing with delivery is the way I go. Hope that helps.
Good info Thank You

I keep thinking 8 cells because that's what I have. I know coolers are fairly sturdy and I agree 1/4 inch plywood might do the trick. My only concern is any flexing on the bottom which would cause the cells to shift and put stress on the terminals.

The other thing I thought of is heat build up if running the BMS hard for long periods with the cooler cover attached. But other than that and the thickness of the walls I think a cooler is a great idea. I have seen one member house all of his equipment in milk crates...lol. And there is nothing wrong with that either...simple and effective. I have been looking at the Arko-Mills stuff too. But the rated weight capacity needs to be taken into consideration.

I also found this 20 gallon Husky box at Home Depot. Unfortunately the inside width is 13 inches and I need 14 inches. I measured it myself. It would work if I installed the cells on their flat side but I really don't want to do that. Husky also makes a 12 gallon version of the same box. They have a rated weight capacity of 500lb's and 200lb's respectively.

No doubt plywood would be a good idea for any case. Even the metal ones sold by Amy and others. The reason I don't want to go with a metal case is because it's much easier to drill holes in plastic and mount things.
Post in thread 'Just ordered Lifepo4 prismatic cell 3.2V 280Ah lithium lifepo4' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/j...-3-2v-280ah-lithium-lifepo4.14955/post-199144

Back