diy solar

diy solar

Transfer method of system operation (do I need a transfer switch?)

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
My apologies if this is titled wrong, and if I don’t make sense. I’m learning as I’m coming along. (Building the plane as I fly it). This pertains to another thread I have on a cabin “system” but is focused specifically switching from cabin season to off season. What I learn from this thread will impact my decision on product selection.

Cabin: off grid (actually no grid), wired as 1 single 15a circuit, terminating into a big ol’ extention cord that enables us to “plug” the cabin into an inverter generator.

I’m going to instal either an inverter, or inverter/charger to power the cabin for the cottage season. Come fall time the solar system will be turned off, server battery disconnected and brought home. Inverter of, array disconnected.

Brother in law usually goes to the cabin in the winter a few times, and “plugs” the cabin into the generator. I’m wanting to learn how I can set this up. Preference is for “keep it simple”.

My ideas are:

1. Have my inverter ac output to an outlet. During cabin season we “plug” the cabin into my system. During the winter brother in law “plugs” the cabin into the genny as he does now. (This is my current design…. Battery, inverter/charger on a hand truck, take it home for the winter)

2. Wire the inverter ac output into a panel > breaker > romex into cabin. Wired in line between the breaker, and cabin would be a receptical in which my BIL could “plug” the generator into. This assumes a permant installation of my system. My only concern would be with the breaker off, the neutrals are connected. Would this be an issue? (Genny output neutral going into the inverter’s output neutral)

3. Wire my system into an Ezgenerator transfer switch

This switch can be wired two ways: it can switch only the line, or it can switch line, and neutral.

4. Wire up my system like in #2 above, and disconnect the neutral from inverter (or run the inverter output neutral through a breaker, or a light switch to disconnect?)

5. Anything else that makes more sense?

I would always wire your loads through a circuit breaker anyways and is typically a standard code requirement.

Perhaps a combination of the two, leave your solar stuff on the hand truck, and wire in a transfer switch. The photo below isn't quite right for your scenario, but a transfer switch would allow you to throw it up for say Solar and down for Generator.

1679598435292.png

Back