diy solar

diy solar

Transfer switch help

feverdog

Novice here......
Wonder if I could get some advice for installing a transfer switch. I have an EcoFlow Delta Pro solar generator coming and wanted to tie it to a few circuits so I can use it for everyday usage.

I was thinking of doing a pre-wired switch like the one in this vid:

Is there anything else I need to look out for? Any issues I need to be aware of ?

@feverdog, I have that manual transfer switch that I use with generator, power stations, and inverter/battery. I'm not nearly as savvy as the DIY guys here but I might be able to point you in the right direction. What advice are you looking for?

I guess the main thing I was looking for was affirmation that that will work. Not sure why it wouldn't, but never hurts to ask, I guess. I didn't want to buy a 400 dollar switch and find out I didn't think of something.

Did you install yours yourself?

I guess the main thing I was looking for was affirmation that that will work. Not sure why it wouldn't, but never hurts to ask, I guess. I didn't want to buy a 400 dollar switch and find out I didn't think of something.
It definitely works. We are using it for 120v critical loads in grid outage.

Did you install yours yourself?
No, I had an electrician install it.

Another novice here and thinking of buying the Bluetti AC200max. My main panel has only 120v circuits, and I have 3 or 4 essentials I’d like to run to a sub-panel transfer switch. My electrician said I have an option between a 120V sub-panel with 4 switches and a 15amp plug, or a 240v sub-panel with 6 to 8 switches and a 30amp plug. I can’t help to think that more is better when it comes to volts and switches, but I’m also not sure of the implications of plugging the AC200max into a 240v panel using the 30amp plug. Any advise on my options here would be much appreciated

can’t help to think that more is better when it comes to volts and switches
The capacity (watts) at “240V” will be the same watts but potentially not enough for each circuit in sum if they’re on all at once.

You need to know the sum wattage of the items you wish to run, know how long you wish to run them for, and decide if more circuits available make sense (as they will reduce your run time as you add loads.)

The capacity (watts) at “240V” will be the same watts but potentially not enough for each circuit in sum if they’re on all at once.

You need to know the sum wattage of the items you wish to run, know how long you wish to run them for, and decide if more circuits available make sense (as they will reduce your run time as you add loads.)
Thanks! I’ve narrowed down our critical circuits to a 22cu Fridge, a gas furnace thermostat and ignitor, one room of lights and outlets for computers/wifi/security, and one bathroom light/outlet circuit. We don’t have a forced air system so with those 4 circuits above I’m guessing we’d be running 2000 watts max over a period of maybe 12 hours during a power outage.

I use a combination of ATS (automatic transfer switch) and MTS (manual transfer switch) for my off-grid system. ATS takes grid as one input and generator (or inverter from solar) as the other input and automatically switches between them. What happens is that when it senses power on the generator side it will delay a bit (for generator to spin up) and then auto-switch to taking power from the generator. When the generator is turn off - it autoswitches back to grid. It does this by mechanically connected relays - so no risk of generator side feeding the grid.

Then the output of my ATS goes to the MTS. This hooks into the main panel and let's you choose the circuits you want to power. The Pro/Trans does up to 10 circuits including a 240v @ 30a set. A simple switch let's you do grid or generator or off.

Here's a pic. This is 240v@50a (L1, L2, and N) but you can also do 120v versions of this - depending on what you generator can provide.
1643645556333.png

240v ATS example - https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD52V-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B003VAWNVK/ref=dp_prsubs_1
120v ATS example - https://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-TS-30-Automatic-Transfer/dp/B00153EYTO/ref=sr_1_1
240v MTS Example (in pic) - https://www.amazon.com/510C-50-Amp-10-Circuit-Manual-Transfer/dp/B00TSJPQEO/ref=sr_1_4

Back