diy solar

diy solar

Transfer switches

AliAs

Does anyone know if it is ok to run 2 separate transfer switches with 2 different sogens from the same main panel? Transfer switch had 10 circuits and I know people like to use them for power outages but I want to use mine to run on solar and only switch back to line (utility) if my batteries die. I’ve found other threads but they were looking to install 2 transfer switches to one generator. I just want to make sure I’m not breaking any codes. TIA

you could do one transfer switch that is fed from your generator on one side and your solar on the other, then feed the output from that into another transfer switch on one side and power company on the other that feeds your breakers. as long as the power company is the primary transfer switch and they are protected first and foremost. state codes vary so you would be best to consult your local building department.

This is why transfer panels shouldn't be called transfer switches.(the sellers fault, not anyone here) It confuses the conversations.
But, the answer is yes.

I still think that a regular transfer switch and sub panel is simpler and probably cheaper. But wouldn't provide individual circuit selection.

Back