diy solar

diy solar

Tree Trimming Solar Production Improvements

JCSchwarb

Solar Enthusiast
After installing 60 panels and commissioning our EG4 6500EX 6 inverter system, I realized we had far too much tree shade. After trimming two large oaks, the system is now generating over 2kW at 9am and has solid production throughout the day on all panels.

In Florida, I learned that the high winter solstice Dec 21, has a sun slant angle of 38 degrees. In the high summer June 21, it is 86 degrees, see attached image that shows this sun - solar slant angle difference based on the seasons. Previous to topping our two beautiful and virgin live oaks (never been cut before), we were getting minimal solar production and some days staying in grid bypass until 1pm. Yesterday we went from low battery voltage with the system switching to grid, but by 9:30 had achieved 50V which is the cutoff point chosen to switch off bypass transferring to solar mode (PV and battery). I learned that even some shade 30-40% casted, was shutting production down to a paltry 250w or less, which is 90% drop on one string of eight 330w panels.

While I hadn’t factored in such a huge and disruptive tree trimming, it was necessary to get proper solar production. The trimming cost $1,100 and hauling away was another $400. I assume this is part of the solar tax installment and will see if I can include in total system costs for tax purposes. My wife was not happy with me cutting into our beautiful oaks, but I reassured her that in a few months they would fill out and look better than ever.

Next test is checking to see if/when we are getting a full battery charge, as we have never seen above a 50% SOC (battery LED) or about 53.5V. From there the batteries lose voltage quickly such that by sundown we are at 52.5V. We either are not getting a complete charge, the SOC percentage is not calculating correctly or the batteries (50 kWh) are not nearly enough to hold us through the night, which is not making sense to me as our demand is low this time of year with no HVAC use.

Has anyone else experienced this with shaded issues in winter? How about with EG4 Lifepower4 batteries not charging fully or loads causing excessive and unexplained drop in capacity?

Attachments

• 5CEC5618-881A-40B0-B61F-8059B32DFFB3.jpeg
    5CEC5618-881A-40B0-B61F-8059B32DFFB3.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 29
  • F7837D13-1B2C-4F24-85C8-8AC112C043D9.jpeg
    F7837D13-1B2C-4F24-85C8-8AC112C043D9.jpeg
    626.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 0BE73B22-80BC-4CA6-8ADC-0F172B032C58.jpeg
    0BE73B22-80BC-4CA6-8ADC-0F172B032C58.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 29
You should get an Emporia energy monitor system to see where your useage is. But yes, your batteries will work much better if you can get a full 100% charge into them every few days.

You should get an Emporia energy monitor system to see where your useage is. But yes, your batteries will work much better if you can get a full 100% charge into them every few days.
Thank you! I ordered a monitoring system and hope this sheds more light. With so many panels and low use this time of year, I am really unhappy to realize our system is not correctly sized to our needs. I didn’t expect any grid use but only on gray days. Hoping to not have to buy a few more batteries.

Last edited:
Btw, I just took out 2 of those stupid little tree's they insist on planting with a new house build in Florida, I'm sorry but the Florida native oak is a horrible tree ?.
This has fattened out my production into the middle afternoon now.

Btw, I just took out 2 of those stupid little tree's they insist on planting with a new house build in Florida, I'm sorry but the Florida native oak is a horrible tree ?.
This has fattened out my production into the middle afternoon now.
Which native oak there are live and Laurel (aka water)? I like the live oaks, but not the laurels. Laurels are likely the ones as I don’t think live oaks are sold, could be wrong. I laugh when going through HOAs in Gainesville, with the shade so thick and panels on many roofs, that production is totally wasted this time of year. There is a severe trade off between environmental, nature, and energy production considerations.

Are you getting enough battery capacity to sustain through the night?

Last edited:
I'm not a Florida native so I'm not even sure on the tree type, it's just what I have been told. They have leaves that don't seem to decompose and prickly little branches all over lol.
At the moment I have around 6kw of panels and 65kwh of batteries plus a solark just used to charge ATM and 2 SP6548 running the HVAC heatpump and the bog standard 4.5kw water heater. With just us 2 in the house it is fine, but a house full over Christmas and the dull weather drained the batteries down to 20% before I relented and threw 240 at the solark to boost the charge.
Now everyone has buggered off, I removed the 2 trees and the sun came back lol
Next week I am going to cut over to 100% off grid by using the solark for the rest of the house and see how it goes. Only issue I anticipate is if the dryer and stove get used at the same time. I have plans to make a load shedding relay based off the stove load turning off the dryer supply....if it is a regular problem.

I'm not a Florida native so I'm not even sure on the tree type, it's just what I have been told. They have leaves that don't seem to decompose and prickly little branches all over lol.
At the moment I have around 6kw of panels and 65kwh of batteries plus a solark just used to charge ATM and 2 SP6548 running the HVAC heatpump and the bog standard 4.5kw water heater. With just us 2 in the house it is fine, but a house full over Christmas and the dull weather drained the batteries down to 20% before I relented and threw 240 at the solark to boost the charge.
Now everyone has buggered off, I removed the 2 trees and the sun came back lol
Next week I am going to cut over to 100% off grid by using the solark for the rest of the house and see how it goes. Only issue I anticipate is if the dryer and stove get used at the same time. I have plans to make a load shedding relay based off the stove load turning off the dryer supply....if it is a regular problem.
Buggered off - LMAO! Are you British, by chance? If you think those oaks are bad, try growing a bougainvillea, those have 3” thorns and are awful to maintain. I once sprayed my neighbors with roundup so I didn’t have to deal with it coming over our fence. Then we moved to the country to get more space and no encroaching neighbors, lol.

I am working on modifying behavior around my house, waiting an hour in the morning or doing cooking earlier in the day… I notice that by 4pm, the sun is in the trees (we live in a Forrest) and production is below breaking even on 6 inverters. I was even thinking in the summer to cold soak the house to say 68F by 5pm then let it drift up in the night to 78F, before triggering it on.

I've got some shading from pine trees this time of year in the morning until about 930. I like that you pointed out this could be part of the tax credit... wondering if this has been done in the past?

I've got some shading from pine trees this time of year in the morning until about 930. I like that you pointed out this could be part of the tax credit... wondering if this has been done in the past?
It is not a trivial cost as I have now increased my next year by $125 / month. That is a big hit and was my wife’s argument to just leave it. By April the trees probably won’t be a factor so the amortization would then be spread out over 2-3 years, not just one.

I went in knowing shading would be a winter time factor and am not willing to cut the large red oaks, pecans, and red maple that decorate the yard and cause the shop to switch over to grid this time of year. The shallow rooted pine that also endanger the house are gone as soon as I can figure out how to be 100% certain I can fall them away from the house. Same for the gumball trees that cause so much havoc with the lawnmower. From watching the shadows, removing those nuisance trees should gain some solar production, but the valuable trees stay put.

I had to cut a bunch down in the beginning including a nice row of screening trees from the original owner. But it really
makes a tremendous difference. What is your average nighttime loads? I only charge to 54.30 and they do drop down to around
53.03 in about 3 hours. This is with a 12-20amp load and no pv production at night.

This is for the shop and I haven't been keeping tabs of loads other than knowing it uses, on average, around 10kwh daily. Not counting those days when the compressor, drill press, welder, etc., are being used. Currently only have 20kwh of battery.

Guilty as charged lol.
Been in the USA for 25 yrs and loving Florida the past 5.....but I will always be a Brit.
That’s awesome mate. Never want to lose that. I love the British sense of humor. We are in North Central FL around the Palatka area.

Amazed at how much more productive the system is now. By 10ish, my batteries are near fully charged while before the tree trimming we were not fully charged by end of the day.

Buggered off - LMAO! Are you British, by chance? If you think those oaks are bad, try growing a bougainvillea, those have 3” thorns and are awful to maintain. I once sprayed my neighbors with roundup so I didn’t have to deal with it coming over our fence. Then we moved to the country to get more space and no encroaching neighbors, lol.

I am working on modifying behavior around my house, waiting an hour in the morning or doing cooking earlier in the day… I notice that by 4pm, the sun is in the trees (we live in a Forrest) and production is below breaking even on 6 inverters. I was even thinking in the summer to cold soak the house to say 68F by 5pm then let it drift up in the night to 78F, before triggering it on.

What is the idle draw from the six inverters? Must be a fair chunk of Watts?

Saw this thread minutes after I had a large maple tree cut down in the front yard! Feel some guilt as it only shaded for about an hour in the morning but I know when the sun gets lower in the sky come fall it would be a bigger factor. Look forward to the graph in the morning with a steady rise to the top! The things this hobby will make you do!

Back