diy solar

diy solar

Trickle charge single panel to Immersion heater

wilf1234

Hi all,

I've never been able to afford to get a PV system up and running, but I'm desperate to do something.

I've managed to get hold of a single 325w panel (33.97 max power voltage). I don't have an inverter or any other kit, but have re-wired a couple of houses in the past (20+yrs ago!).

I believe that the standard 240v immersion heater that sits at the top of my standard 15yr old hot water cylinder will effectively run off DC, but presumably at much lower output levels if I were to stick 30V's through it.

Therefore, Is there anything stopping me from just wiring in my single 325W panel directly to the immersion heater to trickle charge the heater and effectively storing a bit of energy in the hot water tank? In theory, it would just lift the temp of the hot water slightly whenever the panel is outputting power.

I'm fully aware that this won't be an ideal solution, but I'm unable to throw any money at all at this at the moment. So any comments about replacing the tank or buying more panels, inverters and controllers won't help me much. I'm just looking to try and reduce our Oil bills, even if it's only a few quid.

Any practical thoughts/comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers

W

presumably at much lower output levels if I were to stick 30V's through it.
If you put 325W into it, it should heat at around 325W.

I would not say much lower output level, but lower amps if that's any consequence
325W / 240V = 1.35A
325W / 30V = 10.83A

If you put 325W into it, it should heat at around 325W.

I would not say much lower output level, but lower amps if that's any consequence
325W / 240V = 1.35A
325W / 30V = 10.83A
So would it work, or not? Wouldn't the higher Amps burn the heater out?

Back