diy solar

diy solar

Triron 4210N - says MT50 doesn't support lithium battery parms + no LiFePo4 setting

DonPhillipe

I previously set up a Tracer 2210N and it was easy. Just set it for "4SLiFePo4". (I hope I don't' have to eat my words later on this one should something fail as a result of the default setup.).

Current issue sis that I was setting up a new Triron 4210N for a different array and while the display has a lot of features, not sure any of them do me any good. First the info for how to set up battery types is buried deep in the info on pp22, but the only battery types are Gel, Fld, Use. Then on pp7 under the MT50 (sic) "The MT50 don't support the lithium battery parameters". I think I will return this as I just laid the wire into it for a quick test and the interface is awful compared to the Tracer, plus no lithium and if the MT50 has issues then I'm not even sure why the sold a MT50 with the kit. I assume that USE is for a customized profile but how does one program it if the MT50 doesn't support "lithium parameters" (whatever that means).

I don't really need a display on the MTTP because it's stuffed in a corner when I can't even read it, so I am thinking of going with the all metal 4210 but then I read where this one doesn't have a lithium setting either.

Another issue is I can't seem to find any published physical sizes of any of the EPEVER controllers.

I need a set and forget if possible 40A controller, small size as possible with remote such as MT50 and under $250. Is there such a device? Or should I try to figure out why when I ordered a 4210N it came as a Triron instead of a Tracer?

**** In the questions in the Amazon ad, a user stated "✦7 battery type selection Sealed(AGM), Gel, Flooded, Lead-acid User, LiFePO4 Lithium, Li(NiCoMn)O2 Lithium, Lithium User(9~34V). Dual 5V DC USB output interface of this mppt controller can charge your electronic devices directly." This is not true with the unit I received which looks like the photo of the product I purchased. Triron 4210N, the white case with 4 buttons below and the multiple lamps on the left.

I'm not about "new Triron" branded controllers, but I will say that even Epever "AN" series controllers from several years ago internally reported their model as "TriRon" e.g.
Code:
['EPsolar Tech co., Ltd', 'TriRon1210', 'V01.56+V01.22']

Try setting the parameters with your computer and the Epever Solar Station software. As far as I'm aware, some of the Lithium battery related settings are only configurable through that.

Another issue is I can't seem to find any published physical sizes of any of the EPEVER controllers.

At least for the "AN" series controllers, the dimensions are at the end of the manual;

1647398102160.png

First things first: if you don't like it then return it.

Gel, Fld, Use

You can pick USER and config the setpoints to whatever you want (or the battery mfg recommends). Or use the free software as @Symbioquine suggests to access the canned Li profile.

I assume that USE is for a customized profile but how does one program it if

You can select USER then edit the setpoints with the MT50. This is covered in the "User settings" section of the N manual I have; yours might be different.

An overview and some tips. The MT-50 manual is online.

the MT50 doesn't support "lithium parameters" (whatever that means).

It means the MT50 (older than the N series) doesn't know how to access/set the lithium profile present in the N controllers.

"As for me and my house" I will config my own setpoints and never use a canned Li profile.

"As for me and my house" I will config my own setpoints and never use a canned Li profile.

The Li configuration through the computer (Epever Solar Station software) isn't exactly a "canned profile". When you use the Li parameter dialog, you can still configure the voltage thresholds and things like that.

Also AFAIK, some functionality like "low temperature charge protection" can't be configured if you do it only via the "USER" settings in the MT50.

I have a thermostat/heaters in an insulated compartment with my batteries, a BMS that also disables charging at low temperatures, and I still like to have the additional safety of my charge controllers not supplying power in the event the other have protections failed.

When you use the Li parameter dialog, you can still configure the voltage thresholds and things like that.

Right, one can override setpoints in any of the profiles.

I agree that the software (including the app for wifi/BT) is a better tool for configuring Li on the EpEver controllers than the MT-50.

Back