diy solar

diy solar

Trolling motor battery in a fat 50 ammo can

scott harris

small can.jpg

My son just bought a trolling motor for his fishing raft. So I built him a 60Ah LiFePO4 battery which all fit neatly in a fat 50 ammo can. The can is tough, has a nice handle, is waterproof (if you get a used one with a good rubber seal, or buy new), and it floats.

Here are the steps:

1. Buy a fat 50 ammo can. The regular 50mm cans are not big enough. If buying a used one at the surplus store, make sure it has a good rubber seal.

fat 50 can reduced.jpg

2. Line the bottom and sides with neoprene foam for electrical insulation and floatation.
with foam.jpg

3. Add 4 Fortune 60Ah cells connected 4s

with batteries.jpg

4. Add 50amp waterproof circuit breaker (left side), BMS and shunt (right side), capacity monitor and illuminated cutoff switch (lid). I used the Overkill BMS which has a discharge switch and bluetooth. I connected the discharge switch to the illuminated power button and routed the negative lead of the button light back to the bms so that the light turns on only when it can discharge. The bluetooth can be read thru the can if you are close (like on a raft.) Finally I added a piece of white closed cell foam between the BMS side and the circuit breaker side for extra flotation.

20201019_150308_Film1.jpg

5. Finally, I ran 8 guage marine wire through the can using cheap Chinese glands (which will be replaced as soon as the marine grade ones arrive) and connected them to a 50 amp Anderson connector.

with output wires.jpg

Hope to get it on the water this weekend. :)

Attachments

• 20201019_150124_Film1.jpg
    20201019_150124_Film1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6
On the water! At trolling speed the motor uses a little less than 3 amps. So that is 20+ hours of trolling on one charge. That should be enough for even the most avid fisherman I think.

Attachments

• 20201023_124635_Film1.jpg
    20201023_124635_Film1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20201023_130818_Film1.jpg
    20201023_130818_Film1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am building a battery similar to yours. I ordered 80ah LFP cells on Aliexpress (moreover they must have been lost because no trace on arrival in the country of destination). I bought (like you) a box of a munition but in plastic. A deligreen BMS. And connection pads. On the other hand I had not planned to put a circuit breaker. Can you explain its usefulness to me? I want to use this suitcase with a 40lbs outboard electric motor. I'm French and I write with Google translate ... sorry!

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am building a battery similar to yours. I ordered 80ah LFP cells on Aliexpress (moreover they must have been lost because no trace on arrival in the country of destination). I bought (like you) a box of a munition but in plastic. A deligreen BMS. And connection pads. On the other hand I had not planned to put a circuit breaker. Can you explain its usefulness to me? I want to use this suitcase with a 40lbs outboard electric motor. I'm French and I write with Google translate ... sorry!
The circuit breaker serves two purposes. 1. It protects the wires from getting hot and causing a fire in case of a short circuit. (A fuse would do the same.) 2. It acts as a convenient battery disconnect switch.

I used the surface mount version rather than the panel mount version

Merci pour votre réponse. Je pensais que c'était le BMS qui s'occupait de tout cela (surtension, température, équilibrage ...). Cela ne duplique-t-il pas mon BMS? J'aime les choses simples car plus on en rajoute, plus le risque de panne augmente!

A BMS protects from over/under voltage and temperature, but not from over current events. As stated elsewhere on this forum...

Has anyone had there BMS actually shut off from over current or short circuit?
I decided to do some (what turned out to be) destructive testing. I intentionally shorted out a 120amp deli BMS to test if it would shut off like a battleborn does....it did not. Instead it started smoking almost instantly. I then swapped to a 60amp BMS and pulled 70amp through it for a min or 2 and it also didn't shut off even though it lists over current and short circuit protection.

bonjour, merci cette conversation est très informative. On peut donc dire que le BMS protège la batterie et le disjoncteur protège l'équipement (moteur). Ce type de matériau placé sur le câble positif du moteur est-il bon?
images.jpeg

I'm not familiar with that one. Is it marine grade?

Yes, circuit breakers or fuses are usually placed on the positive side, close to the positive terminal

Je suggérerais ce disjoncteur, car il est évalué pour l'endroit où vous l'utiliserez.

Et dimensionner le fil pour les ampères maximum que le moteur pourrait tirer, et dimensionner le disjoncteur pour le fil.
Fyi, le disjoncteur que vous avez posté, est destiné à l'audio de voiture, et je ne lui ferais pas confiance.

Finally, I ran 8 guage marine wire through the can using cheap Chinese glands (which will be replaced as soon as the marine grade ones arrive) and connected them to a 50 amp Anderson connector.
Are the trolling motor clamps connected to the anderson connector?

I cut off the clamps that came with the motor and replaced them with an Anderson connector. The clamps you see in the picture are from the bench power supply I use to charge the battery. I was too cheap to buy another Anderson connector for the power supply.

I cut off the clamps that came with the motor and replaced them with an Anderson connector. The clamps you see in the picture are from the bench power supply I use to charge the battery. I was too cheap to buy another Anderson connector for the power supply.
If you ever were in a situation where you needed to connect the motor using clamps or lug terminals to connect to a battery, you wouldn’t be able to right? Unless you had an extra cable with Anderson on one end and lug terminals or clamps on the other?

That is right. But I have all of the tools and hardware to reconfigure the system to whatever connectors are available.

I like Anderson connectors because they are strong and you can't accidently hook them up backwards.

Je suggérerais ce disjoncteur, car il est évalué pour l’endroit où vous l’utiliserez.

[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/14/30/Circuit_Breakers/187-Series [/ URL]

Et dimensionner le fil pour les ampères maximum que le moteur pourrait tirer, et dimensionner le disjoncteur pour le fil.
Fyi, le disjoncteur que vous avez posté, est destiné à l'audio de voiture, et je ne lui ferais pas confiance.
Bonjour, merci pour ces références mais j'habite en France et ces marques ne sont disponibles qu'à l'importation, donc très chères!
En France rien de grave!
Puisque je veux assembler une batterie économique, je dois aller chez Aliexpress. J'ai vu des disjoncteurs d'environ 10 USD qui semble bien. L'un d'entre vous en at-il l'expérience?
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001398249166.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.154e3c00IMJJGk&mp=1
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000506382852.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.154e3c00IMJJGk&mp=1
La question est: vaut-il mieux mettre cette merde aliexpress ou rien?
Je vous remercie,

Je n'ai pas expérimenté la partie Aliexpress que vous avez liée. Mais il y a des gens sur ce forum qui l'ont fait, et le consensus général est qu'ils ne sont pas très bons. Cela dit, si vous souhaitez essayer, allez-y et achetez-en un, vous aurez peut-être plus de chance.
Ci-dessous, j'ai lié le même disjoncteur que ci-dessus, mais avec une entreprise en France. Oui, ils sont chers, mais pour moi, cela vaut la tranquillité d'esprit. :)

Si vous achetez sur Aliexpress, veuillez nous indiquer à quel point cela fonctionne bien ou mal, ici. ?

Je n'ai pas expérimenté la partie Aliexpress que vous avez lié. Mais il y a des gens sur ce forum qui ont fait, et le consensus général est qu'ils ne sont pas très bons. Cela dit, si vous souhaitez essayer, allez-y et achetez-en un, vous aurez peut-être plus de chance.
Ci-dessous, j'ai lié le même disjoncteur que ci-dessus, mais avec une entreprise en France. Oui, ils sont chers, mais pour moi, cela vaut la tranquillité d'esprit.:)

[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.navicom.fr/plaisance/ma...ues-etanches-tableau-et-encastrable-serie-187 [/ URL]
Si vous achetez sur Aliexpress, veuillez nous indiquer à quel point cela fonctionne bien ou mal, ici. ?
1- In the idea, I want to create a battery at low cost but with a suitable quality by carefully selecting the products of our Chinese friends. My budget does not allow me to pay 80 € (half the price of the cells) for a circuit breaker.
2- Aucun problème. Le disjoncteur est en route. Dès que je le reçois, je reviens vers vous pour les tests car je ne sais rien!

Depuis que j'ai découvert ce forum, je continue à le lire et j'apprends beaucoup. Mais j'ai très peur de me perdre car les gens ici ont un très haut niveau technique!
Quand j'ai commencé mon projet, je voulais juste faire une batterie 12V lifepo4 pour le moteur électrique de mon bateau. Gagner du poids et de l'autonomie. Mon défi est de fabriquer une batterie à faible coût mais de haute qualité. Je dois donc faire des concessions. Mais je n'ai pas besoin d'un haut niveau de performance car mon moteur ne fait que 40 lb de poussée. Et je n'utiliserai le moteur que 15 fois / an maximum.
- J'ai acheté des cellules varicores sur Aliexpress (meilleur rapport qualité / prix) qui sont en transit depuis 55 jours ...
- 1 BMS Daly
- 1 chargeur "Wate"
- Câble souple 16 mm², cosses et petit matériel de montage.
- Barres de connexion en cuivre.
- et enfin le disjoncteur.
Je suis déjà hors budget ... Et en lisant le forum j'ai appris qu'il fallait équilibrer les cellules, avant l'assemblage, avec un chargeur spécial 1S Lifepo4 !!!!
Je deviens fou !!!!
Pour mon utilisation, cette étape est-elle obligatoire? Mon BMS ne peut pas faire cela lors de la première charge ??
Merci

English for those wanting to assist.

Since I discovered this forum, I continue to read it and I learn a lot. But I'm very afraid of getting lost because the people here have a very high technical level!
When I started my project, I just wanted to make a 12V lifepo4 battery for my boat's electric motor. Gain weight and autonomy. My challenge is to make a low cost but high quality battery. So I have to make concessions. But I don't need a high level of performance because my engine only does 40 lbs of thrust. And I will only use the engine 15 times / year maximum.
- I bought varicore cells on Aliexpress (best quality / price ratio) which have been in transit for 55 days ...
- 1 BMS Daly
- 1 "Wate" charger
- 16 mm² flexible cable, lugs and small mounting material.
- Copper connection bars.
- and finally the circuit breaker.
I am already off budget ... And reading the forum I learned that it was necessary to balance the cells, before assembly, with a special 1S Lifepo4 charger !!!!
I'm going crazy !!!!
For my use, is this step mandatory? My BMS can't do this on the first charge ??
Thank you

yes, the BMS can eventually bring your cells in balance, but at the expense of wasting time, and potentially damaging the cells. They can be balanced by linking them all in parallel and letting them sit for a week or so, until all cells read identically, but discharging them all to 2.0V, or charging them all to 3.65V each will show you they are all properly in the same state of charge.

Back