diy solar

diy solar

Trouble finding metal pole for ground mount

steviep19

I'm planning on building another ground mount, but this one I want to put up about 10 feet high.

I see a lot of top of pole mounts, that require you to supply your own 2 inch pole. I've been to hope depot, and lowes, and they don't sell much in terms of metal poles. You have your pluming poles, which are crazy expensive, PVC which isn't strong enough, or fencing material.

Has anybody come across a good place to purchase these poles? I've seen telescopic flag poles but worry about their durability.

Your power company may have a pile of damaged poles they'd be willing let you pick thru.
I saw a few behind a nearby Goodwill drop station, so i called PG&E and asked, they said "help yourself". I have a nice super heavy duty telescope pier now. Cost me about 3 hacksaw blades.

Or keep your eyes open while driving down the highways, LOTS of downed metal poles just waiting to be be "trash collected".

10’ galvanized steel rigid pipe is $24 at my Home Depot...

most plumbing supply houses have 21’ sections for that price...

First plumbing place I looked for 3" pipe didn't have it... But could get it for $325 per 21ft. stick. I'm highly discouraged. For those doing Iron Ridge installs, what should I be paying if I find a source?

First plumbing place I looked for 3" pipe didn't have it... But could get it for $325 per 21ft. stick. I'm highly discouraged. For those doing Iron Ridge installs, what should I be paying if I find a source?
Munchie33,

How tall is it going to be? Maybe you could use wood? I didn't need anything quite as thick and ended up getting a a fence pole at home depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-1-3-8-in-x-10-ft-6-in-17-Gauge-Galvanized-Top-Rail-328913DPT/100322532

The were really cheap, strong, and easy to work with as you could connect them together to make sizes longer that 10'

This is a permitted 9Kw install, so wood or fence rail isn't going to fly... or rather, it could actually fly! Our county has a 110mph wind requirement that I must satisfy with an engineered structure, thus the Iron Ridge solutiin. Additionally, for those out there who haven't considered possible consequences well into the future, I want to be able to sell my property (and retire to a tropical island) without having to dismantle it in 10 years when I'm old and feeble and much less capable of doing so.

Thanks for responding with ideas. Iron Ridge is pretty popular so I hope to hear about pipe sourcing experiences/prices.

This is a permitted 9Kw install, so wood or fence rail isn't going to fly... or rather, it could actually fly! Our county has a 110mph wind requirement that I must satisfy with an engineered structure, thus the Iron Ridge solutiin. Additionally, for those out there who haven't considered possible consequences well into the future, I want to be able to sell my property (and retire to a tropical island) without having to dismantle it in 10 years when I'm old and feeble and much less capable of doing so.

Thanks for responding with ideas. Iron Ridge is pretty popular so I hope to hear about pipe sourcing experiences/prices.

Makes sense

I built mine for the opposite reason. Small and portable to take with me if I ever move. I had the same problem. I was going to use large pipe like you but could not find anything for a reasonable price. In the guides they make it seem so easy but at least here in Massachusetts they are difficult to find as well

I hadn't thought about ebay. Interesting. Unfortunately conduit does not have structural credentials, but it's likely great for a small DIY.

Call any welding supply house. Ask where the local metal supplier is.
3 " sched pipe is not to bad.cant remember last 21 foot price but it wasn't bad at all

I don't see any well casing or oil pipe on Craigslist in Seattle. I did finally find a place that will sell retail. $150 for schedule 40 galvanized pipe. 21ft, 3" ID, 3.5"OD . .216" wall ASTM A53 Grade B which is required for IronRidge. Puget Sound Pipe & Supply.

My original pole-mounts were supposed to be 6" pipe. I got some old 4" for free and used that.

A single pole mount needs to be quite strong to provide torsional strength.
I braced it with diagonal 2" pipes to make a tripod.

My later installation was much larger, used Unirac U-LA. they provide brackets & rails, the rest is all 2" pipe.
This can make a 15' x 15' array, or 20' x 100' or whatever you want.
All triangles of 2" pipe, very strong/stiff, and they supply drawings with their engineering calculations.
The other brands probably offer similar.

I don't see any well casing or oil pipe on Craigslist in Seattle. I did finally find a place that will sell retail. $150 for schedule 40 galvanized pipe. 21ft, 3" ID, 3.5"OD . .216" wall ASTM A53 Grade B which is required for IronRidge. Puget Sound Pipe & Supply.
When I lived in Spokane, (I know, the other side of the mountains from you...) there was all manner of scrap steel available. It’s been 40 years, but I’d be surprised if craigslist hasn’t got some for ya there.

I'm planning on building another ground mount, but this one I want to put up about 10 feet high.

I see a lot of top of pole mounts, that require you to supply your own 2 inch pole. I've been to hope depot, and lowes, and they don't sell much in terms of metal poles. You have your pluming poles, which are crazy expensive, PVC which isn't strong enough, or fencing material.

Has anybody come across a good place to purchase these poles? I've seen telescopic flag poles but worry about their durability.
I used rigid conduit

Are you using a single pole, and why galv. , use steel, 3 1/2 sch. 40 at east tn. steel supply: $181.xx ,also try well drilling co.

Back