diy solar

diy solar

Truck mounted system help

scott0_1

Hello,

I'm looking at buying the following equipment to power a 12v cooler and recharge a few USB devices:

1 x 175 watt solar panel
Renogy 30 amp DC-DC MPPT controller
Blue Sea fuse block
1000 watt pure sine wave inverter
Sok 100 ah lithium battery

I want the system to be easy to remove from my truck when I'm not using it. Any suggestions for a sidewall port for my truck canopy? The Zamp port looks like the best bet.

Does this system look adequate for what I'm planning?

Suggestions and pictures are welcome!

Thanks,

Scott

You do not need an inverter to power a 12V cooler or to power USB devices. For the USB stuff I would wire up a standard 12V power plug (like in a car). Then you can plug in standard charging accessories including all sorts of USB chargers.

Keep all of your DC loads as DC so you can avoid the inverter.

The inverter is a just incase. I don't really plan on using it, but it's a nice option to have!

Remember that inverters have an idle draw so make sure you only turn on the inverter when you actually need to use it.

To verify your plan you need to know how many watt-hours the cooler actually uses each day. You should also get a good estimate of how much power you need for your USB charging. Recharging a phone is a lot different from keeping a laptop fully charged while playing games and mining cryptocurrency.

Back