diy solar

diy solar

Truth behind Chins batteries

Solar_Mann

I’ll try to keep this short while getting all the info out there. I’ll start with a little background. I’m a solar/battery enthusiast and mobile offgrid installer. Over the last 2years or so I’ve installed over $20k worth of lithium batteries, many of which are Chins.

The early ones had 0 issues from my experience. The newer ones, most specifically the ones with the heater and Bluetooth BMS are the most problematic.

Issue #1, they are shipping these batteries without the cells being top balanced. The issues this creates is the battery shuts off well before reaching 14.4 volts. They even spec 14.4-14.6 as charged voltage. The first time I encountered this was with a 24v victron system. On charge one battery would shut down at 13.8v, once one shut down it would cause the victron Quattro to shut down completely stopping all power from getting to the trailer even with the generator running. Chins did agree to swap the one battery but also told me to charge it at a very low rate for 24hrs to allow the BMS to do the balancing. I charged both batteries in parallel at about 1amp for a few days. This did help, I was able to achieve about 28v once in series before shutting down but this still below the well known and common 14.4 per 12v battery.

Another job came up with another 300ah smart chins, I ran into the same issue. The EPEVER tracer charge controller was set to 14.4v peak but the battery was shutting down around 13.7-13.8 once again. Same story as the previous install, one cell far out of balance hitting its 3.65v disconnect. After about a full day charging it had gone up about a tenth of a volt before shutting down.

I’d like to hear your guys opinions on this issue? Sure seems to me like cutting corners by not balancing cells. Literally telling me to let the BMS do the balancing, I feel this should be a required step at the factory. Will?

Issue #2. One of the installations I did using these batteries is a commercial install. The trailer has a lot of equipment that can pull a pretty heavy load from the batteries. The 2 300ah chins batteries are spec’d at 200amps continuous. Issue is after 20-30minutes at 160-180amps the BMS shuts down. All cells nearly perfectly balanced so my only guess is overtemp protection. One interesting thing is about 1-2 minutes before shut down the voltage starts dropping quickly, while the Bluetooth app still shows much higher voltage than actually voltage output. Guessing this is from something getting hot and increasing resistance.
Once again seems like shitty quality causing this issue, they can’t actually meet the specified output. I’d like to hear your guys opinions.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying they all are terrible. I have many functioning just fine and pulling full capacity without issue but like I said the newer ones seem far more problematic. I’d love to hear your guys opinions.

UPDATE 9/27/23:

A second battery of the same model that was purchased around the same time as the ones mentioned above has now completely failed. bluetooth app shows 30 cycles (been in use 8 months). App will show 97% charged and discharging at say 3amps, no issue. Add any larger load than LED lighting and it shuts off (voltage drops to 0) immediately but the app remains the same saying everything is on and functioning with 0 amps being output. only way to "turn it back on" is to have the solar jump start it if its day light or if a jumper pack is hooked up it will start discharging again at a low rate. Another failed BMS.

Attachments

• FEC8192C-B258-455B-81FB-4D634BBCA068.png
    FEC8192C-B258-455B-81FB-4D634BBCA068.png
    563.6 KB · Views: 21
  • D1CF5B04-AF00-4D80-9FD8-AB7502113812.png
    D1CF5B04-AF00-4D80-9FD8-AB7502113812.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
#1: you get what you pay for. Cheap batteries aren't likely to include a top balance, nor are they made from premium grade cells that have comparable self-discharge rates. Even if top-balanced at the factory, let 'em sit for a few weeks, and the top balance is lost.

#2: under-spec BMS. Cheap and unable to meet its rating.

I’ll try to keep this short while getting all the info out there. I’ll start with a little background. I’m a solar/battery enthusiast and mobile offgrid installer. Over the last 2years or so I’ve installed over $20k worth of lithium batteries, many of which are Chins.

The early ones had 0 issues from my experience. The newer ones, most specifically the ones with the heater and Bluetooth BMS are the most problematic.

Issue #1, they are shipping these batteries without the cells being top balanced. The issues this creates is the battery shuts off well before reaching 14.4 volts. They even spec 14.4-14.6 as charged voltage. The first time I encountered this was with a 24v victron system. On charge one battery would shut down at 13.8v, once one shut down it would cause the victron Quattro to shut down completely stopping all power from getting to the trailer even with the generator running. Chins did agree to swap the one battery but also told me to charge it at a very low rate for 24hrs to allow the BMS to do the balancing. I charged both batteries in parallel at about 1amp for a few days. This did help, I was able to achieve about 28v once in series before shutting down but this still below the well known and common 14.4 per 12v battery.

Another job came up with another 300ah smart chins, I ran into the same issue. The EPEVER tracer charge controller was set to 14.4v peak but the battery was shutting down around 13.7-13.8 once again. Same story as the previous install, one cell far out of balance hitting its 3.65v disconnect. After about a full day charging it had gone up about a tenth of a volt before shutting down.

I’d like to hear your guys opinions on this issue? Sure seems to me like cutting corners by not balancing cells. Literally telling me to let the BMS do the balancing, I feel this should be a required step at the factory. Will?

Issue #2. One of the installations I did using these batteries is a commercial install. The trailer has a lot of equipment that can pull a pretty heavy load from the batteries. The 2 300ah chins batteries are spec’d at 200amps continuous. Issue is after 20-30minutes at 160-180amps the BMS shuts down. All cells nearly perfectly balanced so my only guess is overtemp protection. One interesting thing is about 1-2 minutes before shut down the voltage starts dropping quickly, while the Bluetooth app still shows much higher voltage than actually voltage output. Guessing this is from something getting hot and increasing resistance.
Once again seems like shitty quality causing this issue, they can’t actually meet the specified output. I’d like to hear your guys opinions.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying they all are terrible. I have many functioning just fine and pulling full capacity without issue but like I said the newer ones seem far more problematic. I’d love to hear your guys opinions.

That balance is bad, I bet there other batts are probably just as bad but you simply can not see it like you can with the bluetooth app. I bet these budget batt makers may regret letting people see what is going in there battery...

i also recently got a pair 24v 200A smart CHINS battery. It came slightly unbalanced but on the first day I could pull almost full capacity. It was probably full, but i have programmed my inverter to shut of before the batteries BMS disconnect.

The Bluetooth BMS software was showing wrong numbers for the first cycle. It jumped all over the place. Second cycle better and 3 one the it seems to get a hang of it and also cells are now balanced.

Screenshot_20221111-163642.png

Screenshot_20221126-055208.png

The trailer has a lot of equipment that can pull a pretty heavy load from the batteries.
Is it hot in the trailer?

#1: you get what you pay for. Cheap batteries aren't likely to include a top balance, nor are they made from premium grade cells that have comparable self-discharge rates. Even if top-balanced at the factory, let 'em sit for a few weeks, and the top balance is lost.

#2: under-spec BMS. Cheap and unable to meet its rating.

The Chins i received had a date stamp of about 2 months old. I assume they where packed in CHINa and the made they're way over here and never saw a charge after the factory.

Which is okay just cycle them a few times, they will get balanced by the software over time.
The underperforming BMS amps is a different issue, but, like most electric stuff, it depends how you read things. Most electric codes refer to a 80% duty cycle.

When I design my system, i made sure no component included the batteries see more the 80% of their rated capacity for extended time.

Issue is after 20-30minutes at 160-180amps the BMS shuts down.
180 from 200 That would be more then 80% of the rating which is usually discouraged in NEC electric codes.

For instance I have 400A available for a system which once in a blue moon pulls 150A. Complete overkill but it should work even when my RV is hot in the summer

I doubt Chins is going to listen to anything Will has the say after he like literally BBQ'd there latest offering:
Looks suspically like a lithium polymer pack, with about the same results when punctured.

Update posted in my original post. Another failed chins battery. What a let down.
would you mind sharing the exact model?

I got the 24V and have zero issues so far. But I also have a way overbuilt system and hardly ever use more 50% of max amp and 50% of capacity.

48 volt battery I got off amazon is rocking so far. Good cell balance and full rated power.

Will buy again.

would you mind sharing the exact model?

I got the 24V and have zero issues so far. But I also have a way overbuilt system and hardly ever use more 50% of max amp and 50% of capacity.
Not sure on the model number but it is a 300AH smart with heater battery. $1,330.00

48 volt battery I got off amazon is rocking so far. Good cell balance and full rated power.

Will buy again.
I have 15+ other chins batteries still performing fine but after now having 4 separate issues its enough for me to absolutely never recommend them to anyone again. All the issues seem to revolve around there smart bms, all the ones ive installed without the smart BMS are functioning fine as far as I know. Only have 2 out of 5 smart ones I installed still working, pretty low odds in my opinion.

I have 15+ other chins batteries still performing fine but after now having 4 separate issues its enough for me to absolutely never recommend them to anyone again. All the issues seem to revolve around there smart bms, all the ones ive installed without the smart BMS are functioning fine as far as I know. Only have 2 out of 5 smart ones I installed still working, pretty low odds in my opinion.
The 48v one I have has the smart bms and is also the one that seems pretty popular with the golf cart upgrade folks.

This is the one I bought :

All I can do is hope it keeps performing the way it does. If it ever failed just from the bms I'd swap out the bms if out of warranty.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Exact models would be great. 12V 300AH Smart?

hmm, maybe there is something wrong with that BMS. I got mainly the dumb BMS and only one SMART. I've toyed with the smart reading for a few months. But it's nothing that I really need. It doesn't impact how I use the system and I for the future I would again do rather overbuilt with dumb batteries instead of having smart ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Exact models would be great. 12V 300AH Smart?

hmm, maybe there is something wrong with that BMS. I got mainly the dumb BMS and only one SMART. I've toyed with the smart reading for a few months. But it's nothing that I really need. It doesn't impact how I use the system and I for the future I would again do rather overbuilt with dumb batteries instead of having smart ;)
It is a 300ah smart w/low temp heater. I don’t even see that one listed as being made any longer.

All the issues I’ve had have been with the smart BMS. No issues with the dumb ones lol. However the smart battery applications have been in high demand applications but still within the stated specs of the battery.

UPDATE 9/27/23:

A second battery of the same model that was purchased around the same time as the ones mentioned above has now completely failed. bluetooth app shows 30 cycles (been in use 8 months). App will show 97% charged and discharging at say 3amps, no issue. Add any larger load than LED lighting and it shuts off (voltage drops to 0) immediately but the app remains the same saying everything is on and functioning with 0 amps being output. only way to "turn it back on" is to have the solar jump start it if its day light or if a jumper pack is hooked up it will start discharging again at a low rate. Another failed BMS.
Might try making sure it has balancing turn on once out of protected mode like its showing and you mentioned having to bring out of.

Also I would separate it from the other battery and charge it alone.

Might try making sure it has balancing turn on once out of protected mode like its showing and you mentioned having to bring out of.

Also I would separate it from the other battery and charge it alone.
That’s an old issue, was resolved then later failed and was replaced with 2 battleborns. Now another one on a different trailer has failed.

Not just Chins, I have a Power Queen that cuts off charging at just 13.8V. Power Queen wanted me to order a second battery pay for it then ship the bad one back. problem is they flat out would not guarantee I would not have the same problem. I have tried every trick in the book but the battery is still cutting off far too early… You buy cheap batteries you get cheap battery problems..

Not just Chins, I have a Power Queen that cuts off charging at just 13.8V. Power Queen wanted me to order a second battery pay for it then ship the bad one back. problem is they flat out would not guarantee I would not have the same problem. I have tried every trick in the book but the battery is still cutting off far too early… You buy cheap batteries you get cheap battery problems..
This is exactly why I only use Rich solar and battleborn batteries now. At least with either of them if an issue does come up I have someone I can call.

Back