diy solar

diy solar

Trying to build a super simple system.

Qubit

Hi Folks.
I’ve been considering setting up a very simple solar heating in my hot water cylinder but can’t quite understand exactly what items I’ll need.
I have seen 12 and 24VDC heaters and they look ideal. I was hoping to put one in place of the immersion heater and power it directly from a solar panel. Obviously via a fuse, relay and thermostat etc.
I figure that if the sun shines I’ll get some free heating and if doesn’t I won’t. Am I being a bit too optimistic/simplistic here and if so can anybody recommend the best way to rig it up please? I’m trying to avoid batteries and anything else that will push the price up.
Thanks in advance.

Have you seen any of David Poz's videos on this?

One thing you might want to consider and study about, in dealing with a thermostat or power interruption device on a DC circuit, is to make sure that the switch is rated for DC use, and rated above the voltage level you're planning to operate the circuit at.

This has to do with potential for arcing to occur between the contacts when the circuit goes open. A properly rated DC switching device is designed to be able to effectively extinguish an arc, since DC has a much higher tendency to arc under breaking of the circuit than AC does (as AC alternates and arrives at a zero-point energy point in the middle of each cycle in the sine wave)... Direct current has continuous flow in one direction, and thus it is much easier for it to maintain an arc at higher voltages. It's one reason stick and MIG welders prefer to weld with DC...

Last edited:
Hi Folks.
I’ve been considering setting up a very simple solar heating in my hot water cylinder but can’t quite understand exactly what items I’ll need.
I have seen 12 and 24VDC heaters and they look ideal. I was hoping to put one in place of the immersion heater and power it directly from a solar panel. Obviously via a fuse, relay and thermostat etc.
I figure that if the sun shines I’ll get some free heating and if doesn’t I won’t. Am I being a bit too optimistic/simplistic here and if so can anybody recommend the best way to rig it up please? I’m trying to avoid batteries and anything else that will push the price up.
Thanks in advance.
There are videos on this. Usually experiments.

Back