diy solar

diy solar

Trying to build a wind generator.

1jesusmoreno

I am trying to make a wind generator with a treadmill motor, and I have been reading about the equipment that I should use such as charge controllers, inverters, batteries, but there is a lot of information on the internet and tons of different equipment and I am confused about what I should use. What I want to do in the future is to use this system for a submersible water pump.

pump motor specs:
Franklin Electric 4" Submersible Motor Specifications
  • BODY CONSTRUCTION: 304 Stainless Steel
  • HORSEPOWER: 1.0 HP
  • VOLTAGE: 1ø, 230V
  • RPM: 3450
  • SERVICE FACTOR: 1.4
  • DOWNWARD THRUST (lbs): 650 lbs
  • MAX AMBIENT TEMPERATURE: 86°F/30°C
  • DUTY RATING: Continuous
  • FULL LOAD AMPS: 8.2
  • LEAD: 2-Wire, XPLE
treadmill motor specs:
IMG_1474.jpg

Is that a permanent magnet motor, or does it have field windings?
You can probably tell the difference by trying to rotate it by hand.

If it has a field winding you would have to excite it, possibly rewire.
One of my old cars with generator has a regulator which, when I replaced it, needed to be magnetized so it would serve as an electromechanical diode.

Easier if it has magnets.

You will need a regulator with diversion load for when batteries get charged.
Probably also a brake and furling mechanism to avoid overspeeding in high wind.
The old "Windcharger" had a spring loaded tail, and would turn sideways in heavy winds.

But are you sure you want to use that newfangled electron stuff when you could just go straight to pumping?

Hello JM, I myself am running a 1hp submersible pump, and I can tell you my running watts is about 2000. Importantly though, the startup surge for the pump is about 9000W. I run this with about 4500W of solar panels. The surge comes from the batteries.

The problem with wind power is that the power level goes up with the cube of the wind speed. Most commercial windmills produce no power at all below about 10mph, and most are not producing real power till wind speed is up around 30mph. Unless you build a very, very large windmill, I don't think you could meet those specifications. I can tell you though that it's totally doable with solar.

... 1hp submersible pump ... running watts is about 2000.

Ouch, 2000 watts in to get 746 watts of mechanical energy out.
But that is real close to the specs 1jesusmoreno showed.

It gets expensive playing with electricity to run an induction motor. Sine-wave battery inverter is a few $hundred to a few $thousand, and batteries to store unused power for a while have similar cost.

Without the grid, and if you don't have an alternative energy system running the house which is suitably sized, I think you would be better off using a positive displacement pump and variable speed DC motor. Let the wind or PV directly drive the pump at whatever speed the energy production supports, and don't store energy.

You can get a jack pump that works like a miniature oil derrick, able to pull hundreds of feet.
Or, suspend a Surflow pump above the water table. It will use suction to lift water < 32 feet, then push the rest of the way.
There are also wind powered pumps with an air compressor powered by the wind and an air hose down the well to below the water table. Rising air pushes the water out.

Ouch, 2000 watts in to get 746 watts of mechanical energy out.
But that is real close to the specs 1jesusmoreno showed.
I see a lot of people get into trouble with pen and paper designs because they see a number and take it on faith. What people forget to take into account is energy conversion. The 1hp listed for the pump is the amount of energy the flowing water itself generates, not the amount of power needed to make it work. Assuming a 1:3 energy conversion factor, it theoretically takes 3 X 1hp, or 3 X 746Watts = 2238W to deliver 1hp worth of water. So, my real-world numbers jibe within about 10% of what the theoretical value is.

This is why I am very enthusiastic about MEASURING things like voltage and amperage. I recommend everyone get a clamp meter if they're running a solar system. It's now one of my favorate Christmas presents to fellow solar enthusists. When I see that my pump is drawing 10.0amp to run, I have fewer illusions about what it takes to actually make it work. A lot of people on these forums throw together random parts, then scratch their heads as to why is isn't working right.

Back