diy solar

diy solar

Trying to buy 206 AH SOK batteries, but SOK asked me to "delay until next month"

mikemccand

Hello everyone,

New user, first post!

I'm trying to build simple off-grid UPS, with much bigger total WH than the typical consumer grade single unit UPSs (e.g. APC).

So, I tried to purchase 4X 206 AH SOK batteries, after watching Will Prowse's positive teardown/review.

I placed my order, credit card was successfully charged, but then SOK quickly responded asking if I could delay my order until next month when the prices would be a bit lower. Has anyone else seen this response? Is it because of high demand for these cells, or new products coming from SOK or something?

Thanks.

Well THAT is odd but they are correct. Likely have used up their existing stock and waiting on new production batches.

insider info There are price changes coming, some going up, some going down.
cause Supply & Demand on the EV side has pushed some companies to change things up on one side for higher grade cell production. The ESS systems demand has also increased significantly while LFP demand for EV's has come down (remember China has many EV's which are LFP powered unlike the rest of the globe).

An extra twist as the icing on the cake. Because of CATL releasing their LFP CTP (Cell to Pack) EV Batteries and BYD with their Blade Packs, several companies are also adopting similar formats & sub-chemistries. And the CHERRY on top... Tesla releasing the 4680 Format Spec with Tabless Design, by mid 2021 there will be 4680 Format Cells (tabless too) appearing on the market. Remember, they started the 2170 format and now it's common... Formats are just that, the chemistry within is quite another matter, so you will not see their Chemistry in these.

Thanks @Steve_S -- OK, so it sounds like lots of things are changing with battery technology, as usual, so I guess I will cancel my order with them and try to re-order in a month.

Actually, it was nice of SOK to even suggest this -- delaying my order, to get newer technology, and saving some $$$.

Thanks @Steve_S -- OK, so it sounds like lots of things are changing with battery technology, as usual, so I guess I will cancel my order with them and try to re-order in a month.

Actually, it was nice of SOK to even suggest this -- delaying my order, to get newer technology, and saving some $$$.
I agree, gotta say that is a Good On Them move for sure. Will was quite pleased with his teardown and with a good review from him probably upped some demand and, "estimates" may have gotten a tad off.

Hi, Min responded to clarify -- here's his response to my questions:

> What is changing in next month?

We would adjust the price down in next month.

> Are you releasing new batteries with different cells/BMS or so?

No, we don't have the new batteries , the currently battery/BMS we think is the best as so far.
But if any new technology come up, we would try.

> Or too many orders to meet demand for next month?

Too many orders we received recently, and the shipping is a big issue, we having 3 containers stuck in Long Beach port.

I noticed their prices on their website went up a bit right after cyber monday. I was pretty bummed because I was watching hoping for a sale during black friday/cyber monday

This is good to hear. I am waiting for 3 100AH batteries which I ordered on Nov 6. A month ago, Min said they should come in early December. If the batteries are as good as they seem for the price, I would imagine that sales have gone crazy. I was planning on 2 Battle Born for my van, but after seeing these, I decided to go with 3 of them instead.

I recently pre-order 2ea 206AH SOK at $1095 usd ea. Last November they were $1050, $1100 on Amazon. 2 weeks ago they were $1100 on web site. I hope their container does not fall off the ship too.

Last edited:
Please post back once your SOK batteries arrive! I bought battleborn for now but would love to also try SOK cells if/when Min gets past this hyper growth!

@mikemccand , was the price $1029 for the 206 when you tried to purchase? I'm about to pull the trigger on one but can wait a couple of weeks if the price is expected to drop from $1029 (which is what it is on the SOK site as of 12-17).

I doubt it will drop. $1029 is for a pre-order, months out. Maybe they get a quantity discount on cells etc... but need cash now.

@mikemccand , was the price $1029 for the 206 when you tried to purchase? I'm about to pull the trigger on one but can wait a couple of weeks if the price is expected to drop from $1029 (which is what it is on the SOK site as of 12-17).
I ordered 3 of the 206'ers on Nov. 13...Apparently, they had three shipping containers delayed @ port in Long Beach, CA (Yah...California) for weeks. SOK's USA warehouse is in Michigan. The containers go from Cali to there via truck then ship to US destinations. I'm told to expect delivery in early January. This "may" be good news for you folks who ordered later than I...three containers hold a ton of product!! Below is the SOK chatter from a few days ago... Cheers, Oz

1608702795003.png

Oh, sorry, I missed the responses here.

The price was $1150, according to the email'd invoice. So $1029, for 206 AH battery, looks like a great price to me! Especially if the cells/BMS/wiring are the same quality when Will first reviewed them.

Did the 3 containers stuck in Long Beach finally get released?

Great, thanks for the response. I think I'm going to order one. That is a great price.

I have decided to try the DIY route, but I almost pulled the trigger on these SOK batteries. They seem like the best bang for your buck if you are looking for a drop in battery.

The only thing I didn't like in their design is that they seem to attach the temp sensor to the steel case rather than the cells (I'm basing that on will's review). Maybe they have a reason for doing that, but the approach seems flawed (particularly with a steel case). You could put a heating pad on a frozen battery and the case would would almost instantly show a temp swing (and allow charging) since steel is a good thermal conductor, but the cell temp would swing much slower. It's kind of like taking temp on the outside of a turkey when the middle is still frozen solid. It would be really easy to move the sensor to the cells, so this wouldn't prevent me from buying them.

Several articles I have read suggest that a lot of the heat is conducted through the terminal tops. I am considering attaching the thermistors in my pack on the busbars.

The terminal or busbar is probably not a good place to take a temp for the very reason you mention. If temp value is being monitored by the BMS to protect the cells from charge/discharge at extreme temps, I can't see any good reason to take the temp readings elsewhere.

You could have a battery sitting at -5 C (which shouldn't be charged, but could still discharge). Let's say you turn on a big discharge load. Your BMS, wires, busbars, and terminals would likely be well above freezing almost immediately and trigger the BMS to allow charging while your cells are still -5 C. The cells have significant thermal mass and it will take a lot of time to swing the temp of that mass.

Back