diy solar

diy solar

Trying to figure out if I need to upgrade my Zamp 30a CC...

Chuggles

Hi all
I’m new to the forum and new to solar as well so please forgive my lack of knowledge at this point. Straight Jack’n Newb!
I currently have an Rv with a Zamp 30a CC with a single 170w panel on the roof with the 3 port panel connector.
This is all working fine and dandy but I have come into 2 more panels And want to tie these into to the 2 remaining ports up on the roof.
my problem is this, I don’t know if this CC can support these 2 additional panels. The CC says it can support up to 510w of panels on the 3 connection port.
heres where it’s tricky for me... The 2 new panels are mis-matched (180w and 160w) but all together with the 170w it equals 510w right?
Can the Zamp 30a handle these differences? It is a PWM CC. I just can’t figure it out looking at the panel specs blows my mind as I am unable to determine what is the voltage and current numbers I’m to use for calculating the 3 panels for the CC. I have all 3 spec sheets to attach for the panels.
What numbers on the spec sheets and how do I calculate them to see if they work with the CC? Last thing I want is to burn something up.

Attachments

• F9955CD8-2FCC-4048-BFC9-16CE2A3617E8.png
    F9955CD8-2FCC-4048-BFC9-16CE2A3617E8.png
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 7D76EE07-4C1D-446D-BB00-718ADB35A86E.png
    7D76EE07-4C1D-446D-BB00-718ADB35A86E.png
    925.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 82E689D5-C113-425C-8060-5F1427E73AFC.png
    82E689D5-C113-425C-8060-5F1427E73AFC.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Hi all
I’m new to the forum and new to solar as well so please forgive my lack of knowledge at this point. Straight Jack’n Newb!
I currently have an Rv with a Zamp 30a CC with a single 170w panel on the roof with the 3 port panel connector.
This is all working fine and dandy but I have come into 2 more panels And want to tie these into to the 2 remaining ports up on the roof.
my problem is this, I don’t know if this CC can support these 2 additional panels. The CC says it can support up to 510w of panels on the 3 connection port.
heres where it’s tricky for me... The 2 new panels are mis-matched (180w and 160w) but all together with the 170w it equals 510w right?
Can the Zamp 30a handle these differences? It is a PWM CC. I just can’t figure it out looking at the panel specs blows my mind as I am unable to determine what is the voltage and current numbers I’m to use for calculating the 3 panels for the CC. I have all 3 spec sheets to attach for the panels.
What numbers on the spec sheets and how do I calculate them to see if they work with the CC? Last thing I want is to burn something up.
Adding Zamp 30a CC spec sheet.

Attachments

• D5DFC3AE-EECB-451F-9379-A4F7817A35C4.jpeg
    D5DFC3AE-EECB-451F-9379-A4F7817A35C4.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 5
510W / 14V charge voltage = 36.4A available from panels operating at 100% (unlikely)

You're probably fine with that CC. Is your 3 port setup a parallel connector? If not, you'll have to determine how many volts your CC will accept and make sure your array of 3 panels stays below that (by connecting in parallel for example if its really low, like 25V or 50V).

The panels look close enough to be just fine.

510W / 14V charge voltage = 36.4A available from panels operating at 100% (unlikely)

You're probably fine with that CC. Is your 3 port setup a parallel connector? If not, you'll have to determine how many volts your CC will accept and make sure your array of 3 panels stays below that (by connecting in parallel for example if its really low, like 25V or 50V).

The panels look close enough to be just fine.
Thanks for the quick response MisterSandals...The 3 port connector connects them in parallel and the max voltage is 25

Was wondering about another option... I would like to replace the zamp with a renogy 60a. How would this effect the rest of the rv?
just swapping the CC out... would like the ability to go up to 800w‘s worth of panels. The zamp is currently tied into the rv and the rv has shore power at 30a... would the 60a effect the rv electrical system in any way different from the zamp 30a?

Was wondering about another option... I would like to replace the zamp with a renogy 60a. How would this effect the rest of the rv?
just swapping the CC out... would like the ability to go up to 800w‘s worth of panels. The zamp is currently tied into the rv and the rv has shore power at 30a... would the 60a effect the rv electrical system in any way different from the zamp 30a?
The charge controller only affects the battery right?

Yes, a stand-alone. Just ties to the panels then the battery... Battery then connects to the dc circuits.
Then upgrading to a larger SCC would just increase the amount of charging current.
If the Renogy 60A has a higher max input voltage then you may have more options on how many panels and in what configurations are possible.

Then upgrading to a larger SCC would just increase the amount of charging current.
If the Renogy 60A has a higher max input voltage then you may have more options on how many panels and in what configurations are That’s what I was hoping to hear. Just wasn’t sure how it affects the rest of the system
That’s what I was hoping to hear. Just wasn’t sure how it affects the rest of the system

Back