diy solar

diy solar

trying to learn, but i need help.

pmalavolti

I am trying to plan a system but the info is overwhelming. I am trying to design a system that I can expand on. I am wanting a grid-tied system. I wont be able to buy everything at once, so I am going to start with a battery backup. I want a system that will power my house for about 12 hours with little/moderate compromise. All my appliances that can be are gas. I have 1800 square foot split foyer built in the 70's. My central A/C is a 2 ton unit with a scroll compressor(a little more energy efficient). I also have 2 refrigerators and sump pumps that need to run when the power goes. I also have a gas 8000 watt generator that I am wanting to be able to be able to plug in to charge batteries/run the house in the event of a power outage. I don't lose power often/much, mainly just from storms. The second phase would be adding a 48v solar panel array on the roof of my shop that is about 150 ft from the service panel. I am trying to find a inverter that will allow me to handle a battery system, charge it from the grid, generator, and later solar array. I am trying to plan my budget. I am willing to invest in a more on reliable equipment but don't feel the need to spend on name brand equipment i.e. generac, tesla, lg, ect. I have watched a lot of youtube videos from Will and Davidpoz. Everytime I go online to start shopping, I dont feel confident enough to pull the trigger and purchase.

You should start with an energy audit so you will know how big your components need to be to supply the energy you need.

You will learn a LOT in the process, it’s not just arriving at a number.

Reactions: Zil
I am trying to plan a system but the info is overwhelming. I am trying to design a system that I can expand on. I am wanting a grid-tied system. I wont be able to buy everything at once, so I am going to start with a battery backup. I want a system that will power my house for about 12 hours with little/moderate compromise. All my appliances that can be are gas. I have 1800 square foot split foyer built in the 70's. My central A/C is a 2 ton unit with a scroll compressor(a little more energy efficient). I also have 2 refrigerators and sump pumps that need to run when the power goes. I also have a gas 8000 watt generator that I am wanting to be able to be able to plug in to charge batteries/run the house in the event of a power outage. I don't lose power often/much, mainly just from storms. The second phase would be adding a 48v solar panel array on the roof of my shop that is about 150 ft from the service panel. I am trying to find a inverter that will allow me to handle a battery system, charge it from the grid, generator, and later solar array. I am trying to plan my budget. I am willing to invest in a more on reliable equipment but don't feel the need to spend on name brand equipment i.e. generac, tesla, lg, ect. I have watched a lot of youtube videos from Will and Davidpoz. Everytime I go online to start shopping, I dont feel confident enough to pull the trigger and purchase.
i just got this one i am also overwhelmed however i think i over built which is nice.. 8kW 48V 240VAC Split Phase 120A 250VDC Off-Grid Inverter by Growatt and it has a large surge for well pumps.. now with this you could not sell the extra back to the grid the grid hookup is to kick in if needed or charge the battery's.. and as for panels used 250watt panels are bout 50 to 60 when ya buy at least 10 with free shipping. people are replacing there old stuff. you get the deal.. oh ya buy a kill a watt meter and measure everything.. kill a watt meter will run about 30 bucks

i just got this one i am also overwhelmed however i think i over built which is nice.. 8kW 48V 240VAC Split Phase 120A 250VDC Off-Grid Inverter by Growatt and it has a large surge for well pumps.. now with this you could not sell the extra back to the grid the grid hookup is to kick in if needed or charge the battery's.. and as for panels used 250watt panels are bout 50 to 60 when ya buy at least 10 with free shipping. people are replacing there old stuff. you get the deal.. oh ya buy a kill a watt meter and measure everything.. kill a watt meter will run about 30 bucks
that was something I forgot about, I do want it to sell back to grid any surplus once my batteries are charged.

You should start with an energy audit so you will know how big your components need to be to supply the energy you need.

You will learn a LOT in the process, it’s not just arriving at a number.
I have a really good idea of what my current draw is. the issues i'm having is what type of inverter, what brands are reliable, terms used to describe each feature, ect. Davidpoz just posted a video the other day on a drawback of an inverter he was testing. It said it was an 8000 watt inverter, but each leg could only handle 4000. so you had to balance each leg. this is a good idea anyway, but I am not ready to do that. If I was building my house and starting fresh, I would make sure it was done. I'm not prepared to re-wire every circuit in my house. these are the thing I'm needing guidance on.

that was something I forgot about, I do want it to sell back to grid any surplus once my batteries are charged.
if and mind you i just went threw this with my elec provider .. ul 1741 approved and the one i have is not there is a sunny island that is and much more cost .. and worth if ya can.. look at the sma web site. growatt is going to make outdoor ones like i have and they will cost more. look at the building codes and the electric codes in the state and county you live in as your provider to help with those questions. they might have done it before.. and good luck

You stay 90kWh per day. Should we assume your current rate never changes?

90kWh / 24h = 3.75kW load

Perhaps a 5kW inverter.

Do you run anything that require more at any moment or startup? If so, those numbers will further define what you need.

You stay 90kWh per day. Should we assume your current rate never changes?

90kWh / 24h = 3.75kW load

Perhaps a 5kW inverter.

Do you run anything that require more at any moment or startup? If so, those numbers will further define what you need.
i have 2 refrigerators. those have a larger start up draw. I have a 2 pumps in my utility room. 1 is a rain water ejection, the other is an ejection pump that is for my basement bathroom.

FYI, most homes already balance loads.
4000W is fairly decent amount per load, but an electric water heater and clothes dryer running at the same time can overload it… balanced or not.
Three space heaters on the same circuit… pop.
With grid tie, your options are limited in inverter choices.

Back