diy solar

diy solar

Trying to power a damaged Ranch

How fast will they turn around your permit?
That repair is quick and simple.
Dropping $60K to hit your listed needs makes little sense with such a minor repair.

Adding solar: I’d buy in carefully. I just don’t think a non-grid incorporated solution is cost efficient.
As far as all those extension cords: stop that. Since your grid isn’t connected just quick fix the burned section’s wiring and connect up the entrance to the generator with the appropriate box and cord. You’ll probably want that as a backup solution anyway so just do it. Then you’ll have grid offset and backed by solar with a grid-down backup solution with the generator.
We are currently facing huge delays in permit approval, also the cost of permits keeps going up each month that passes. Honestly I want as little to do with inspectors or permits as possible. That's why I want a off grid solar system. Until my plans on repairs get approved I am not allowed to touch the damage or make any new improvements. That's why they wont give me power. Its just my wife & I, all we want to do is live out the rest of our life's in peace. I understand buying a damaged ranch comes with city headaches. But this scared away the flippers and gave us a beautiful ranch for pennies on the dollar. So I'm just trying to find ways to live with all these current rules. The solar system I am building is not for fun or recreation. Its so I can take a warm shower & cook a meal without having to fire up my generator every morning. But I love your idea of connecting the generator up correctly! I just can't touch the damaged wires until the repair plans get approved. Going on 3 months now since I submitted them.

. I don't want any of those solar power units.
I think you do, sorta, but just don’t know it.

SolArk or other units that are capable of solar-first/no export would be IDEAL for you based on earlier posts. They solar-charge batteries and can “lean on” the grid while still enabling 100% grid-down function- and with a generator even your big draws will function fine grid-down.
just can't touch the damaged wires until the repair plans get approved
So you pull them (the damaged circuits) from the panel (or have an electrician do it) and use the panel fed from a transfer switch from an AIO with generator support, and the whole house will probably function normally 90% of the time. The bigger panels are inexpensive per watt and it probably won’t be terribly expensive to meet your needs. Especially if you ‘manage’ loads after sundown.

Or maybe I’m just too much of an independent new england yankee redneck for californium. I’d just have run out of patience already.

Last edited:
I think you do, sorta, but just don’t know it.

SolArk or other units that are capable of solar-first/no export would be IDEAL for you based on earlier posts. They solar-charge batteries and can “lean on” the grid while still enabling 100% grid-down function- and with a generator even your big draws will function fine grid-down.
You maybe correct, or something similar. I know so little about solar power right now, I'm not sure what I really need.

You maybe correct, or something similar. I know so little about solar power right now, I'm not sure what I really need.
This isn’t the higher-end stuff I suggested but rather it is an inexpensive 12V battery approach for 1000W or so of panels. The link was just handy and the only reason I posted it is because as you read the now-arcane terms the lightbulbs will start turning on for you.

This isn’t the higher-end stuff I suggested but rather it is an inexpensive 12V battery approach for 1000W or so of panels. The link was just handy and the only reason I posted it is because as you read the now-arcane terms the lightbulbs will start turning on for you.
I agree, actually I know this will be the stuff I need to shoot for if I expect my solar system to really work for me. As I said in from the beginning. I'm not building a solar system for fun or recreation. Currently i'm building a solar system of necessity. And I should build it right from the beginning. I already know it needs a heart of 48 volts.

Added the first thing that really makes the trip to my ranch much easier. Using a cheap Harbor Freight Solar Power kit & adding some things I learned about hear. I made a solar powered gate opener. This video is the completed working video. Look on my channel for past videos on how I built it & It Works! From everything I'm learning here I will put my ranch back on power! You can find my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/HavocSun

Last edited:
You really need to be careful installing home brew systems of any kind! Local building departments can be really picky about having the correct permits, and making sure that everything is up to code. Insurance companies are the same.

You really need to be careful installing home brew systems of any kind! Local building departments can be really picky about having the correct permits, and making sure that everything is up to code. Insurance companies are the same.
Thanks for that info, I am meeting with a inspector today. I will ask some questions.

What he said. I had exposure to the draconian system of kalifornia laws and regulations 15 years ago, and you may not be allowed a certificate of occupancy from your local governance if you are not hooked up to working power/sewage, etc...

Back