diy solar

diy solar

Trying to sneak in on Indiana's net metering

hautions11

Indians retail KWhr net metering is ending this July. After that they will only pay 2-3 cents or wholesale prices. I get my temporary pole on my lot to start building next week. I will request a net metering meter for my temporary pole. My understanding is, you can do that if when he house is complete, it generates power to the grid. My problem is the house won't be close by July. To sneak in, I want to put a few panels up near the temp power pole and generate a small amount of power, while I am building. Anyone have any experience with this type of install? Thx

You will have to build a complete grid tied system.
I'm not sure if you can find a small enough one, to make it worth the temporary installation.
But, maybe.

Look at getting some 300w panels and a few micro inverters. If the temp power pole is there and you have 230v at the pole, add a 230v breaker and run that wire to your panel site. You might need an additional disconnect to make the power company happy, a disconnect at the panel site. the micro inverters are rated for outdoor use and mount under the panels (normally). You need no other equipment. Disconnect, inverters, panels, and wiring. You must meet requirement of the power company, so talk to them.

Note, don't be surprised if you have to enter into an agreement with your temp setup that you can't change without a new agreement.....which might put you into the new rates game.

Make sure they honor grandfathering. I read about several utilities changing everybody's deal on a whim. Started out as retail debits-retail credits then changed to retail debits, a nasty fixed fee-wholesale credits.:( Probably best to just build what you consume in real time.

Last edited:
Look at getting some 300w panels and a few micro inverters. If the temp power pole is there and you have 230v at the pole, add a 230v breaker and run that wire to your panel site. You might need an additional disconnect to make the power company happy, a disconnect at the panel site. the micro inverters are rated for outdoor use and mount under the panels (normally). You need no other equipment. Disconnect, inverters, panels, and wiring. You must meet requirement of the power company, so talk to them.

Note, don't be surprised if you have to enter into an agreement with your temp setup that you can't change without a new agreement.....which might put you into the new rates game.
Ok, great info. My electrician will install the temp pole, so he can add a disconnect etc easily at the same time. The engineer at the power company has been super helpful so far, I will get back with him. I plan on buying the stuff for my house system right up front, so I will have plenty of panels, inverters etc to build something with all the correct hardware. I can move it to the house after the roof goes on. That is actually pretty early in the process. I’m going standing seam metal roof, I love the “no rails” clamp system I have seen online. in the view below, the single angle roof on the right is a 4/12 pitch south facing area about 20’ X 40’. That will be the final resting place for the panels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 12
Ok, great info. My electrician will install the temp pole, so he can add a disconnect etc easily at the same time. The engineer at the power company has been super helpful so far, I will get back with him. I plan on buying the stuff for my house system right up front, so I will have plenty of panels, inverters etc to build something with all the correct hardware. I can move it to the house after the roof goes on. That is actually pretty early in the process. I’m going standing seam metal roof, I love the “no rails” clamp system I have seen online. in the view below, the single angle roof on the right is a 4/12 pitch south facing area about 20’ X 40’. That will be the final resting place for the panels.
On the agreement, if you get in there is a 10 year duration. The solar installers got Indiana to do that, to allow enough time for payback on installed systems. My big hurdle is “qualifying “ If I’m lucky, and approved agreement with the power company my get me in the door.

Make sure they honor grandfathering. I read about several utilities changing everybody's deal on a whim. Started out as retail debits-retail credits then changed to retail debits, a nasty fixed fee-wholesale credits.:( Probably best to just build what you consume in real time.
Arkansas law locks you in to the current rate regulations for 20 years. We got on board in 2019 and they have already made changes for new contracts. Still, the new contracts have 20 year protection so you have that much time to recover costs on current agreements. I can bank KWH at full credit that don't expire. New contract regulations allow a 4 month carry over but I think after 4 months they are nulled out.

Arkansas law locks you in to the current rate regulations for 20 years. We got on board in 2019 and they have already made changes for new contracts. Still, the new contracts have 20 year protection so you have that much time to recover costs on current agreements. I can bank KWH at full credit that don't expire. New contract regulations allow a 4 month carry over but I think after 4 months they are nulled out.
In the summer you might expire them before winter is over

net metering is ending this July

Wonder what Duke Energy will do with us folks that had Solar before the bill that ended net metering passed? I installed my system in two stages, first one was before the bill passed and the second I believe was in a net metering grace period of 15 years, ending in early 2030ish IIRC. The first system *might* be grandfathered for life?

If that's true Duke would have to come out and install separate meters, or considering the number of people like me is very small, perhaps just leave us on net metering?

Back