diy solar

diy solar

Trying too hard

Specs are 1500 to 2000W pending water pressure and flow, 3 phase AC for wiring.
Cross Flow turbine, no jets to clean.

Thank you Mike! Looking forward to hearing about this more when it becomes operational. Is is an off the shelf unit? Or?

"No dam required-simple diversion up stream or any water source meeting requirements"
"PWM diversion control and 2000W diversion load"

This would charge battery, with that providing storage and surge above 1500W (or whatever your flow could provide)
Is there any provision for flow control, so you could use a dam for energy storage?

I like to minimize battery and cycling of battery. Of course, continuous 24/7 power input goes a long way compared to PV for a few hours of the day.

Wish we could build a dam but no way as we are on a sloped lot. So far we installed 90 ft of pipe, all installed at 22 degrees.
Balance of pipe install will be closer to 45 degree, balance back to 22 degrees.
Our creek has a healthy flow for a 8 to 9 months through a 48" culvert.
This is why I need to figure out a diversion load once batteries are at full capacity from the MH station.
Another 2 to 3 days to finish the pipe work, next two weekends. Then the home made coanda screen, collection tank install.
Doing all of the home build and all all other matters with kids, wife it all takes time.

Update on installation. We managed to get 130ft of pipe installed. This is hung off of the cliff wall with 7/8 galvanized threaded rod and then use a 3/8 cable with crosby clamps to get additional support back to the cliff wall.
The moving of the container will happen in November, which means that the PV installation will happen over the winter.
Companies that I'm dealing with seem to have no clue re Micro Hydro installations so I'm leaning towards what the Scott Micro Hydro suggested.

1. 3 Phase SQ D breaker box, 3 Phase rectifier to DC
2. MorningStar TS-MPPT-60-600V-48
3.MidNite Solar MNDC250 MINI 250 AMP DC Disconnect
4.Morning Star TS-60 Charge controller, this is for the dump load ?

Dump load would be for the two hot water emmersion heaters into the 2000L hot water tanks.

The electrical components mentioned above would then be installed in the house crawl space for the interm, get an inverter and batteries so that I can use the power to heat the house over the winter.

Our house in late June only went to 21C while the heatwave that gripped us was 48C. Our home on the mainland was 74F with the AC running full time 24/7.
House on the Island is airtight and we have no thermal bridging so it will be interesting if we can heat the place with the Micro Hydro.
Big experiment for now.

Picture.png

Haha you don't happen to be Linus Sebastian's parents by chance?

That island shot looks similar to his recent video on his parents place getting them internet service.

That island shot looks similar to his recent video on his parents place getting them internet service.
Sorry, who is Linus Sebastian ? Have three adult children who come to help from time to time.

Sorry, who is Linus Sebastian ? Have three adult children who come to help from time to time.
Lol he is a Canadian YouTuber who's parents are in progress of setting up on an island on a hill in much the same way.

Just found it to be amusingly similar scenery.

Point me to a link of the picture as now I'm curious.
Some lots up the hill have changed hands so maybe they are on the Island.

OP said he's building in WA and the youtuber is in BC :)

Also doesn't look like the other place is a slab on grade

YouTuber might be there but his parents may not be.

Still amusing is all.
Yes, the struggles for Internet were amusing.

I got the BC part from the video description: "Linus' parents are building a sweet new off-the-grid cabin miles offshore of the mainland here in British Columbia, and while they've figured out power, sewage, and water, they left one thing for me: the internet."

Yes, the struggles for Internet were amusing.

I got the BC part from the video description: "Linus' parents are building a sweet new off-the-grid cabin miles offshore of the mainland here in British Columbia, and while they've figured out power, sewage, and water, they left one thing for me: the internet."
Well mystery solved

Back