diy solar

diy solar

Twin diesel Sea Ray - All in one hybrid inverter/charger install.

Grand Illusion

Appreciate any advise... Working to add a Hybrid inverter/charger, all in one. The system makes the solar and house bank easy to wire. Trying to understand how to add my duel 12 volt starter battery sets. Currently one set acts as house and starter battery. Like to put the house on my new 24 volt, lifepo4 bank. Like to have each engine on it's own set of starter batteries. Can anyone help me understand how to incorporate my two alternators? Can I charge the starter batteries with the inverter/charger? In my search I have not found a diagram that matches my specs. Thanks Kenny

If incorporating your two alternators means using the alternators to charge the house bank, there are multiple 12-24V DC-DC chargers.

You could charge the starter batteries via an AC-DC converter (typical 12V charger) or with a 24V-12V DC-DC charger. The AC charger will be less efficient, but starter batteries generally don't need a lot of charging as they don't deplete much after starting, and they are immediately topped off by the alternator. It's a balance of convenience, efficiency and cost.

If you're looking at growatt/mpp Solar AiO units, Plan for their high idle consumption. A 24V/3000W unit will burn about 1kWh/day just being on - no loads used. That's about 42Ah of your 24V LFP capacity.

Back