diy solar

diy solar

Two 100watt panels on truck topper

Kcdaniels

Ok a little background....I have a travel trailer that with the help from this forum I was able to install a 395 watt QCell with Victron 100/50 SCC... Victron 1200 VA inverter ...charging two 6volt lead acid batteries.....
On my truck topper I have two 100 watt panels that I'm going to install along with a 20amp rover scc charging one 12 volt deep cycle lead acid battery... I have a 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter that I will use...
My questions are first ...have the ability to use my 200 watts from the truck to supplement my RV batteries ...can I wire a two pin aircraft style connector to my RV batteries ? And then just plug in when needed ?
Two...I have a solar generator 1000watt that uses the same two pin aircraft connector.... Can I just connect from the 20amp rover scc to the solar generator or should that be separated from the rover 20 amp scc ?
Three...I will have a Noco Genius 5 amp connected to my truck batteries (2) at all times...this will plug in to the inverter...

Just not clear on my ability to use the 200 watts to charge the RV batteries then as needed charge the solar generator ?

Hope all that was clear as mud ...haha?

Last edited:
You can certainly use the truck panels and solar charge controller to charge the RV batteries. The added length of the cabling to the RV battery could introduce some voltage drop. You may need to use larger size cable to prevent that.

My questions are first ...have the ability to use my 200 watts from the truck to supplement my RV batteries ...can I wire a two pin aircraft style connector to my RV batteries ? And then just plug in when needed ?
Yes, but a diagram would be better. There's a few what if's:

-The connectors would need to be rated for amperage. I use 50 amp Anderson plugs for a small lithium pack and 10 AWG / MC4 should be good to 30 amps.
-A second SCC is needed and how this is wired is important

Two...I have a solar generator 1000watt that uses the same two pin aircraft connector.... Can I just connect from the 20amp rover scc to the solar generator or should that be separated from the rover 20 amp scc ?

-I would not do that with my homemade solar generator, but I'm not sure of the model you have. Basically I could physically connect the 20 amp Rover SCC to my generator on the busbars, but my 24 volt 1200 wh generator has a BMS limited to 15 amps. Ihave a 15 amp SCC for that.
-There are some things that would stop it.

Three...I will have a Noco Genius 5 amp connected to my truck batteries (2) at all times...this will plug in to the inverter...

Just not clear on my ability to use the 200 watts to charge the RV batteries then as needed charge the solar generator ?
For the truck, with however the inverter is wired, would be nice to have that shut off when the truck is off to prevent up to 1 amp of parasitic draw. I have not seen an inverter that makes that easy, but can picture a relay to shut it off.

I use a "suitcase" portable panels, 400 watts, to supplement my RV charging by adding a second SCC 30 amp on the RV connected with MC4 connectors, so no reason your 200 watt panels won't work. I take the same 400 watts of panels I mentioned and hook those to my solar generator and that works fine. The solar generator has a seperate 15 amp SCC.

You can certainly use the truck panels and solar charge controller to charge the RV batteries. The added length of the cabling to the RV battery could introduce some voltage drop. You may need to use larger size cable to prevent that.
Yes I'm looking for 30' 8 gauge...

-The connectors would need to be rated for amperage. I use 50 amp Anderson plugs for a small lithium pack and 10 AWG / MC4 should be good to 30 amps.

-I would not do that with my homemade solar generator, but I'm not sure of the model you have. Basically I could physically connect the 20 amp Rover SCC to my generator on the busbars, but my 24 volt 1200 wh generator has a BMS limited to 15 amps. Ihave a 15 amp SCC for that.

For the truck, with however the inverter is wired, would be nice to have that shut off when the truck is off to prevent up to 1 amp of parasitic draw. I have not seen an inverter that makes that easy, but can picture a relay to shut it off.

I use a "suitcase" portable panels, 400 watts, to supplement my RV charging by adding a second SCC 30 amp on the RV connected with MC4 connectors, so no reason your 200 watt panels won't work. I take the same 400 watts of panels I mentioned and hook those to my solar generator and that works fine. The solar generator has a seperate 15 amp SCC.

This is my solar generator uses this type of connector so would like to keep it the same.....

Attachments

• 20211119_140829.jpg
    20211119_140829.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211119_140920-2.jpg
    20211119_140920-2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 7
This is my solar generator uses this type of connector so would like to keep it the same.....
Your solar panels in ideal conditions could be pushing slightly more than 12 amps in parallel, which is the limit there.

Your typical 100 watt solar panel pushes about 6 amps max. A little more or a little less depending on voltage. Using a higher voltage 100 watt panel, sometimes labeled 24 volts, putting the two panels in series, or getting one bigger panel would keep wattage under that. I have seen my 100 watt panels push 5.83 amps, which is under but close to the limit if in parallel.

Your solar panels in ideal conditions could be pushing slightly more than 12 amps in parallel, which is the limit there.

Your typical 100 watt solar panel pushes about 6 amps max. A little more or a little less depending on voltage. Using a higher voltage 100 watt panel, sometimes labeled 24 volts, putting the two panels in series, or getting one bigger panel would keep wattage under that. I have seen my 100 watt panels push 5.83 amps, which is under but close to the limit if in parallel.
Would it be better to wire in series ?

Would it be better to wire in series ?
Please check the voltage drop for the wire size and length of cable you're using at 12 amps. If there's excessive drop, than definitely in series.

What are the panel's label for voltage and amperage?

I like parallel better because of shading issues. I would be happy if I'm confident in the connector is rated to 12 amps at running slightly underneath it, if I can monitor it.

Please check the voltage drop for the wire size and length of cable you're using at 12 amps. If there's excessive drop, than definitely in series.

I like parallel better because of shading issues. I would be happy if I'm confident in the connector is rated to 12 amps at running slightly underneath it, if I can monitor it.

Attachments

• 20211119_180332.jpg
    20211119_180332.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 11
You can try two in parallel, but I'd watch them carefully at noon time when the most amps is made. This voltage output is similar to mine that have overperformed and pushed 5.83 amps.

Because these are on a vehicle, they will likely be flat and not make full amperage except in the summer months. I typically RV in the winter becuase of the warm AZ weather, and if my panels are flat they will make between 30% to 60% of the rated output.

I think a better way to connect them is something rated way more than your amperage like an MC4 cable, which I use to attach my portable panels on my RV, or AndersonPole connectors which I use for my solar generator. The Anderson Powerpoles are rated to 45 amps, and the wire 30 amps; the MC4s and wires are rated to 30 amps.

I like parallel better because of shading issues. I would be happy if I'm confident in the connector is rated to 12 amps at running slightly underneath it, if I can mmo

You can try two in parallel, but I'd watch them carefully at noon time when the most amps is made. This voltage output is similar to mine that have overperformed and pushed 5.83 amps.

Because these are on a vehicle, they will likely be flat and not make full amperage except in the summer months. I typically RV in the winter becuase of the warm AZ weather, and if my panels are flat they will make between 30% to 60% of the rated output.

I think a better way to connect them is something rated way more than your amperage like an MC4 cable, which I use to attach my portable panels on my RV, or AndersonPole connectors which I use for my solar generator. The Anderson Powerpoles are rated to 45 amps, and the wire 30 amps; the MC4s and wires are rated to 30 amps.
How can I bypass the 2 pin port to use Anderson pole connector ? Maybe I'm miss understanding...

How can I bypass the 2 pin port to use Anderson pole connector ? Maybe I'm miss understanding...
I missed that part. I did not think you had the two pin port installed, so best to go with that and not install the Anderson Powerpole connector.

Finally got around to the install of the two 100watt panels...

I still not clear how I will wire up the different connectors....

SP13 Aviation Connector M13 Male Plug to the sogen... It has to by pass the SCC...​

So my solar panel wires comes thru the roof connected to a breaker.....can I install a "splitter" before the SCC then connect that wire for the solar generator ?
Just having a little trouble envisioning how to wire this up right...goal is to be able to charge sogen...charge rv when needed...?

Attachments

• IMG_20211206_091145.jpg
    IMG_20211206_091145.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211206_091135.jpg
    IMG_20211206_091135.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211126_172209.jpg
    20211126_172209.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211126_172230.jpg
    20211126_172230.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211126_171817.jpg
    20211126_171817.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 15
A little update..... I have the equipment installed now.....the way I have it set up I can charge my battery (deep cell lead acid) then when I need to charge my solar generator I can connect the adapter cables and turn breaker to solar charge controller off then turn on breaker for the solar generator....

I'm I right in my thinking that to be able to connect to my rv batteries I will need a second solar charge controller and another breaker ??

My brain is fried from thinking to much lol....

Attachments

• 20220101_155655.jpg
    20220101_155655.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220101_151801.jpg
    20220101_151801.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The issue with running wire from the solar charge controller to the RV battery is voltage drop. The lower voltage/higher amperage in that long run of wire (compared to the wire from PV to solar charge controller) may require larger wire to prevent voltage drop.

As you asked, a second solar charge controller may work better, requiring smaller wire between the PV and the solar charge controller in the RV.

The issue with running wire from the solar charge controller to the RV battery is voltage drop. The lower voltage/higher amperage in that long run of wire (compared to the wire from PV to solar charge controller) may require larger wire to prevent voltage drop.

As you asked, a second solar charge controller may work better, requiring smaller wire between the PV and the solar charge controller in the RV.
Thanks for the reply..... I think the only way I can do all 3 ....charge my house battery in the topper....charge my solar generator.... Charge my rv batteries with a 30' 10awg...is to have a second solar charge controller....And only one at a time...that's the reason for the breakers...

I have a set of 3 way splitter ...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093GXKC1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ....
So run the solar panel wires thru the splitter to separate breakers ......its the only way I can come up with that will work...??

Just to be clear I'm just wanting to supplement my rv solar...(395 watts) if the rv is in shade I can supplement with the truck ....kind of like a suit case set up only on wheels?

Here is a picture of my rv set up....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211212-091343_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211212-091343_Gallery.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have ground deployed panels for my RV to supplement what is on the roof of the RV. They work well.

Have you been running the RV solar long enough to tell that RV solar isn't enough?

Back