diy solar

diy solar

Two AC200Ps

reflxshn

Full disclosure...I know just enough to be dangerous (literally). I'm looking over the DIY systems and started to wonder.... With the ac220p on sale at $1700 (US) for 2kwhs, doesn't this become a really cheap/easy RV/trailer AIO system, Add a second and for $3400 you have a massive capacity, right? I'm also wondering if it would be possible to combine the 12vDC/25A outputs from 2 units together to provide 600w/50 amps to your RV DC devices? You have input ability of 1400 watts of solar (way more than most an probably fit on their trailer/RV roofs). Seems like to build an equivalent DIY system you are going to spend >50% more... again, I'm new so go gently if this is a completely stupid idea. Thanks in advance.

2X AC200P: $3400

7kWh of cells (8S, 24V) cost about $1000 delivered
8S Overkillsolar BMS is about $125
SCC capable of 2kW of solar @ 24V is about $500
Good PSW inverter/charger is about $600
Good battery monitor is $130
Good 60A 24-12V converter is about $50.
Misc stuff is about $200

$2605

Advantages over 2X AC200P:
75% more battery capacity
2000W solar capacity
Capable of charging DIY battery at a high rate directly from grid or generator.
60A @ 12VDC output

Disadvantages:
Only 1 AC output

To your questions, unknown if you can combine the DC output I would be hesitant without checking power-off resistance to confirm there is a diode in the circuit to prevent back-flow in case their voltages are mismatched.

Certain you CAN'T combine their AC output.

Last edited:
Disadvantages:
Only 2kW of solar vs. 2800W for 2X AC200P
Only 1 AC output

To your questions, unknown if you can combine the DC output I would be hesitant without checking power-off resistance to confirm there is a diode in the circuit to prevent back-flow in case their voltages are mismatched.

Certain you CAN'T combine their AC output.
CORRECTION.
Disadvantages:?
Only 2000W of DIY solar vs. 1400W for 2X AC200P

Each AC200 only accepts 700watt solar max at a piddly 12A

I would never recommend 2 AC200Ps over other options.
2 big 62lb boxes that are not user serviceable.

Only 2 of the new Bluetti EP500s can combine AC when you buy an extra $100 box.

7kWh of cells (8S, 24V) cost about $1000 delivered
Thank you for the breakdown and analysis. Its very helpful...
One last clarification. When I was looking at LiFePO4 batteries a 12V 100amp hour was running $900 (12x100=1200Wh?). If I understand the math correctly (I may not)... 7kWh would be closer to 5k. Obviously I'm confused. Can you explain?

You said a DIY system. You buy 8 cells and build your own 7kWh battery for ~$1,125 including BMS.

One last clarification. When I was looking at LiFePO4 batteries a 12V 100amp hour was running $900 (12x100=1200Wh?). If I understand the math correctly (I may not)... 7kWh would be closer to 5k. Obviously I'm confused. Can you explain?
LFP batteries are 12 8V nominal.
12 8V x 100Ah is 1280 watt hours.

Battle Born 100Ah is $900 plus tax but there are other choices like SOK at $570 or Ampere time at $500?

I much appreciate the insight and I realize that my suggestion is sorta like asking a gourmet chief the value of a Big Mac.
My take-aways are:
I appear to have misused the term DIY. I meant not paying someone else to install it for you or buying it built in.
If I have the knowledge and confidence to build my own battery I could produce a superior system for less money.
For those without these abilities, my initial cost calculations were based on Battle Born and less expensive options are available. A better comparison might be the Ampere's 200Ah ($840 on Amazon).
The AC200P will be significantly more limited in solar input than a DIY system, though wouldn't 2 separately wired systems (2x12 amp) mitigate this to the point that roof space is really more of the limitation?
Fast charging option are more limited.

Of course if I had the knowledge to build my own, I would (even if it didn't save me a dime).

Thank you again for your insights and expertise.

The most difficult thing in doing any of this stuff is getting past the idea that it's TOO complex or difficult.

It's so simple. There are so many examples, and there are dozens of folks on here willing to walk you through it.

What still has me confused is why you're focused on only the DC output. Did you have any intention of using the AC output? If you have two of them, you can't mix the AC output, i.e., you'd essentially have an extra unused inverter when all you need is a battery.

Not sure what you're trying to convey about the 2X separately wired systems (2x12A) on the Bluettis. They have a max of 700W each with restrictive inputs making it a little more difficult to actually get 700W on to each without buying even more panels than that. Additionally, the low current limit would force you to put more panels in series to get that power. Series panels suffer from shading more than parallel. The 2kW DIY unit would have extremely flexible and robust paneling options. You could even construct it to use a roof array and have a smaller, lightweight deployable ground array on the same controller.

Back