diy solar

diy solar

Typical Bulk charge Amperage for a single 12v group29DC FLA Deep cycle battery.

Terrapin

My LFP conversions are goign to be gradual. I still have 2 Wallyworld Everstart Maxx29DC batteries that have been treated well and will be used in some capacity till they are toast. They are listed as 880 CCA and 105Ah if that matters.

But now I have an Aims 75A (max) charger that has a FLA programed profile. My search hear and on line hasn't really revealed a spec high amp input so I am wondering if there is a resource or consensus on how fast the old school batteries can a charge off a unit like that. It is adjustable but not very calibrated in it's position setting but I have a clamp meter to dial it in to what's considered safe.

I have the slightly cheaper non-Maxx 29DC. Five years old, and still going surprisingly strong. Just used it today to power the macerator pump to empty the black tank. Yummy.

14.4V is a decent absorption voltage when you're not sure.

Assuming you're charging in parallel at 12V, I'd limit it to 0.15C or 0.15 * (105+105) = 31.5A.

Once charged and floated for 24 hours @ 13.6V, check and record SG. If any cells deviate by more than 0.03, or they are below 1.265, I'd run an equalization to 16.2V. Terminate equalization when SG stops increasing or battery temp exceeds 100°F.

Equalization should be done in a well ventilated area (outside) and with the vent covers removed but placed in position without pushing them in.

I have the slightly cheaper non-Maxx 29DC. Five years old, and still going surprisingly strong. Just used it today to power the macerator pump to empty the black tank. Yummy.

14.4V is a decent absorption voltage when you're not sure.

Assuming you're charging in parallel at 12V, I'd limit it to 0.15C or 0.15 * (105+105) = 31.5A.

Once charged and floated for 24 hours @ 13.6V, check and record SG. If any cells deviate by more than 0.03, or they are below 1.265, I'd run an equalization to 16.2V. Terminate equalization when SG stops increasing or battery temp exceeds 100°F.

Equalization should be done in a well ventilated area (outside) and with the vent covers removed but placed in position without pushing them in.
The Maxxs were bought many years apart so single charging only at top 15A sounds like what's gonna happen. That's Ok I have a few Schumakers. I think one even does 20A. ....If you forget a charger on a week long fishing trip you get another quick...LOL. I was just curious about how fast you should push them. It's surprising not to find basic info like that on seller specs after hanging around here a few months. You kind of get into a different mind set of wanting just the facts and deciding your own possibilities....

hmmmmmm now i am confuse i was told equalization is not needed or applicable to walmart everstart 29dc MAXX due to of gassing while on equalization mode???????? until now i am using AGM parameter to charge my 24pcs walmart battery do i need to change AGM to FLA? with equalization?

Warning about the Schumakers - especially the "speed chargers". Not really designed for maintenance, but for getting a shelf-queen or heavily discharged vehicular battery found dead overnight back to working.

If you place a voltmeter on the *battery terminals* and compare it to the speed-chargers voltage display, you may find a HUGE discrepency. Like 15.5v at the terminals, whilst the display shows only 14.4v.

The speed-chargers have their own internal "smart" controllers, and try to shield those smarts from the consumer for simplicity. However, if it feels like doing an EQ, it will do so, and can be a death-knell for AGM's in particular.

Just a heads-up. For my applications, I don't let any Schumacher's near my batteries for normal maintenance. When I tested at the terminals vs the display, that was enough for me.

Back