diy solar

diy solar

U.S. Solar Market Eclipses 100 Gigawatts

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
ref
Solar industry accounts for 58% of all new electric generating capacity but begins to see first signs of rising costs

The U.S. solar market surpassed 100 gigawatts (GWdc) of installed electric generating capacity, doubling the size of the industry over the last 3.5 years, according to the U.S. Solar Market Insight Q2 2021 report, released today by the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and Wood Mackenzie.

In the EU too much solar and renewable energy causes problems.
In Germany 46% of the power comes from renewable.
But these are unreliable sources. Sometimes making too few (need to start gas turbines), sometimes too much (even nuclear plants need to turn down, and they do not like that; they are made for constant power generation)

Quote from an analyst:
Energy blackouts are the bugbear that industrialists and the conventional energy sector have long warned about in ominous tones. Too much or too little power in the grid can indeed prompt energy shortfalls, causing whole regions to go dark and assembly lines to halt. But thus far, in highly industrialized Germany, blackouts have not—yet—come to pass. There’s been no countrywide blackout for years, and last year, the average German experienced just 12 minutes of outage: the lowest in Europe and infinitesimal compared the U.S. citizen’s 2019 average of 4.7 hours

The main problem? No big battery backup.

There was an event that almost caused a continent wide blackout in January

The north region separated from the south region
The 50Hz grid frequency slipped
EU_freq.png

At that moment about 3 GW energy was missing from the north.
In the north 2 GW big user was disconnected, turbines started to stop the collapse.
In the south a 1GW turbine was disconnected and many smaller.

So what I try to explain is that solar without big battery support makes the grid unstable.

Last edited:
...solar without big battery support makes the grid unstable....
Yup. I always get annoyed when I hear politicians talking about building out more solar and wind without mentioning energy storage.
Fortunately here in the U.S., despite what the politicians say, it seems they're doing the right things.

How are things going there? It would be interesting to hear from folks around the world.

Yup. I always get annoyed when I hear politicians talking about building out more solar and wind without mentioning energy storage.
Fortunately here in the U.S., despite what the politicians say, it seems they're doing the right things.

How are things going there? It would be interesting to hear from folks around the world.
Wow that is a very heavy topic :)

Here in the EU things go in total different way
Off-grid is almost unknown, unused here. Only Grid-tie.
You would not believe what are we fighting with.
Like here is an old saying that off-grid (island system) can not be connected on grid
And somehow everyone heard about this misconception.
Hard to teach that only output of the off-grid can not be connected to the grid. It can use grid power.

And the leaders do not read forums to learn this.
Almost nobody understands why to use battery systems.

Germany closed almost all its nuclear plants. That are base power plants.
When there was a solar eclipse they had to add extra gas turbines to prepare for the loss of solar power in the grid.

Last edited:
In the EU too much solar and renewable energy causes problems.
In Germany 46% of the power comes from renewable.
But these are unreliable sources. Sometimes making too few (need to start gas turbines), sometimes too much (even nuclear plants need to turn down, and they do not like that; they are made for constant power generation)

Quote from an analyst:
Energy blackouts are the bugbear that industrialists and the conventional energy sector have long warned about in ominous tones. Too much or too little power in the grid can indeed prompt energy shortfalls, causing whole regions to go dark and assembly lines to halt. But thus far, in highly industrialized Germany, blackouts have not—yet—come to pass. There’s been no countrywide blackout for years, and last year, the average German experienced just 12 minutes of outage: the lowest in Europe and infinitesimal compared the U.S. citizen’s 2019 average of 4.7 hours

The main problem? No big battery backup.

There was an event that almost caused a continent wide blackout in January

The north region separated from the south region
The 50Hz grid frequency slipped
View attachment 62054

At that moment about 3 GW energy was missing from the north.
In the north 2 GW big user was disconnected, turbines started to stop the collapse.
In the south a 1GW turbine was disconnected and many smaller.

So what I try to explain is that solar without big battery support makes the grid unstable.
For me, those zillion dollar profit power companies, that govt literally condemns ur home and tosses u out, that u have no choice but to pay, SHD UPGRADE!

Back