diy solar

diy solar

Ug. Didn't think everything through now my shoulders hurt.

stevelex

So I'm building an 8 cell, 24 volt battery for my camper. Wanting more juice, I bought 200ah cells from China. I already bought an 8cell BMS. I probably should have bought 2 4-cell bms's and made two 12 volt batteries and hooked them in series. But I'm gonna keep to my plan.

Well, they are here and I'm excited, but they weigh 8 lbs 10 oz each. So the final battery will be 86 lbs or so. I can carry that much, but not for long, I don't even weigh twice that. Glad I didn't get the 280ah ones.

Gotta each more spinach for this.

In general, a four cell BMS is not rated to disconnect a 24V load. If you are lucky, the output MOSFETs of the BMS will fail open, leaving you with an unusable battery. If you are less lucky, the MOSFETs will fail shorted, leaving you with no protection for your cells.

Good thing you stayed with your eight cell BMS.

I had dual 6v Trojan T-105 batteries on the tongue of my trailer in a single battery box. I went to remove the batteries but they wouldn't come out of the box. They were stuck. I had to lift both batteries at the same time. That's about 140 lbs. It sucked.

Here's the aftermath.

20201018_155857_4dcdbca864d6d7f6a9f11624c0ac8db2ad0c49d7.jpg

I'm glad I went 4s2p@12v with my batteries.

I had dual 6v Trojan T-105 batteries on the tongue of my trailer in a single battery box. I went to remove the batteries but they wouldn't come out of the box. They were stuck. I had to lift both batteries at the same time. That's about 140 lbs. It sucked.

Here's the aftermath.

20201018_155857_4dcdbca864d6d7f6a9f11624c0ac8db2ad0c49d7.jpg

I'm glad I went 4s2p@12v with my batteries.
LOL I finally had to change out the two 6v Sam's golf cart batteries in my garage that have been running my outside lighting for 10years.☇☇☇☇
Dam after using LiFePos for everything else I forgot how freaking heavy those lead filled boxes were ?

Back