diy solar

diy solar

UK Holiday Lodge\Cabin

dragonfly-uk

We own a holiday lodge in the UK, and I'm currently planning a solar system, with the intention of reducing both electric and gas usage. We are on a private electricity supply so we can't use any Feed In Tariff or similar. The cabin is equipped with a 20a mains supply and piped LPG for heating and cooking. We already have a Smart EV car charger so this has to be factored into the plans.

I haven't done final measures but I think I can get a 4kw system, on the front roof, that gets the most sun, and faces correctly, so I'm thinking of installing a system in 3 steps.

Step 1.

Solar Panels and Grid Tie Inverter System.

Step 2.

Lift the Utility Cupboard floor, so that the front load washing machines are approx 18in higher, allowing for a water tank/heater with coil etc. underneath. So that the water going into the LPG water boiler is pre-heated in the electric heater, and the central heating liquid, runs through the coil, providing heating for the house.

Step 3.

Battery Pack for overnight\cloudy day usage.

The 3 steps will probably be completed over the course of 3 to 6 months, as time and money allow. My intention for the completed system, is that the system prioritises usage\vehicle charging, then uses surplus power to charge the battery pack, and then once the battery pack is charged, heats the water.

Firstly does this sound like a good plan?

We own a holiday lodge in the UK, and I'm currently planning a solar system, with the intention of reducing both electric and gas usage. We are on a private electricity supply so we can't use any Feed In Tariff or similar. The cabin is equipped with a 20a mains supply and piped LPG for heating and cooking. We already have a Smart EV car charger so this has to be factored into the plans.

I haven't done final measures but I think I can get a 4kw system, on the front roof, that gets the most sun, and faces correctly, so I'm thinking of installing a system in 3 steps.

Step 1.

Solar Panels and Grid Tie Inverter System.

Step 2.

Lift the Utility Cupboard floor, so that the front load washing machines are approx 18in higher, allowing for a water tank/heater with coil etc. underneath. So that the water going into the LPG water boiler is pre-heated in the electric heater, and the central heating liquid, runs through the coil, providing heating for the house.

Step 3.

Battery Pack for overnight\cloudy day usage.

The 3 steps will probably be completed over the course of 3 to 6 months, as time and money allow. My intention for the completed system, is that the system prioritises usage\vehicle charging, then uses surplus power to charge the battery pack, and then once the battery pack is charged, heats the water.

Firstly does this sound like a good plan?
That sounds like a good plan and a fun project.

Before you do anything, make sure you have the design for step 3 and that the components you purchase for step 1 & 2 will be usable in step 3...particularly the grid tie inverter system in step 1. You will need an inverter that can run without batteries till step 3.

In step 2, how will you control the heater to only draw from solar generated power? (I assume that it is cheaper to heat the water and cabin from gas than from Grid power)

Before you do anything, make sure you have the design for step 3 and that the components you purchase for step 1 & 2 will be usable in step 3...particularly the grid tie inverter system in step 1. You will need an inverter that can run without batteries till step 3.

Yes I've been looking at some of the kits you can buy in the UK, they often come with Growatt inverters, that I have yet to look into in detail, but look configurable etc.

In step 2, how will you control the heater to only draw from solar generated power? (I assume that it is cheaper to heat the water and cabin from gas than from Grid power)

Our existing Leccy supply is 20a max, and not upgradeable, which plays into the equations, but using generic efficiency figures, and our fuel costs, there is about a 1-2p difference per kwh in favour of the LPG, but it wouldn't take much of rise in LPG cost to wipe that out. Our EV Charger was chosen with this plan in mind, and is an MYEnergi Zappi, which can adjust the charging rate to fit the solar supply, the same company produce a product called eddi, which "diverts" excess power to a water heater rather than the grid. Having investigated the meter used by our supplier, it is quite possible, that it records excess power fed back to them, as a positive read, so that I actually get charged for it!!! So this must not be allowed to happen, I sure as hell not paying them to use my own electric.

Back