diy solar

diy solar

UK Newbie looking doing a startup project - looking for local components and guidance

Jumppy

Hi,

I've had a look for this question in the FAQs but please excuse me I couldn't find the answer, so please can you help. It's also a UK related question as well for where to buy quality equipment in the UK. Please rip apart what I've written below and give guidance, please :)

My solar ideal (bugout off-grid vision) is a Van/RV mobile or home lifeboat solution for grid-down - which happens usually once a year for me (only one or two days). My aim is to power from the magic of the sun a fridge/freezer (using 400w on 4 hours a day) in the garage, evening home lighting and some small IT appliances, maybe even pushing a TV or low power projector - including charging laptops, phones and running a small NAS server (120w 24/7) for a very small family - just me.

I'm considering using an MPP/Growatt solution like Tom has video but cannot find one locally - plus concerned about constant background energy drain. In the man time I'm eyeing an Epever off-grid system but not sure if this will be underpowered. 3kw 30amp MPPT 24v. here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133562362284?hash=item1f18efe9ac:g:9CwAAOSwhZFfnZ~a

For now, I'm using a Renogy 40a Charge controller with Kepworth (not sure how good it is) 100ah LiFePO4 battery, with a 2000 watt inverter, and this runs the Fridge/Freezer in the garage. And indoors 4 x 30ah Eco worthy batteries (seem reliable), 1000 watt inverter and a couple of 100watt panels, and it's lasting a day. I need more panels but want them to be mobile.

Can you please give feedback and if you are able to also suggest a local (UK) supplier of an all in one and recommended panels (maybe even second hand).

Again, any suggestions of where and what to buy long term, such as better batteries, all in one controller/charger/inverter, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Robert

Hello from the Colonies.

Hi,

I've had a look for this question in the FAQs but please excuse me I couldn't find the answer, so please can you help. It's also a UK related question as well for where to buy quality equipment in the UK. Please rip apart what I've written below and give guidance, please :)

My biggest concern is that I believe Sol is afraid of the UK soil and has made a deal with the clouds to keep the ground hidden.

My solar ideal (bugout off-grid vision) is a Van/RV mobile or home lifeboat solution for grid-down - which happens usually once a year for me (only one or two days). My aim is to power from the magic of the sun a fridge/freezer (using 400w on 4 hours a day) in the garage, evening home lighting and some small IT appliances, maybe even pushing a TV or low power projector - including charging laptops, phones and running a small NAS server (120w 24/7) for a very small family - just me.

Fridge: 1.6kWh/day
NAS: 2.9kWh/day (almost 2X the fridge)

Important to characterize all additional items in terms of kWh/day. there's an energy audit sheet in Resources.

Let's just use 4.5kWh/day.

Depending on your available solar (poor weather and Northern latitude), you might need > 2kW of solar to generate that in a day.

I'm considering using an MPP/Growatt solution like Tom has video but cannot find one locally - plus concerned about constant background energy drain.

A valid concern. 50W * 24H = 1.2kWh pushing you to 5.7kWh and maybe 3kW of solar.

In the man time I'm eyeing an Epever off-grid system but not sure if this will be underpowered. 3kw 30amp MPPT 24v. here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133562362284?hash=item1f18efe9ac:g:9CwAAOSwhZFfnZ~a

That unit is likely also essentially identical to a MPP Solar or Growatt unit (both made by Voltronix) and will likely suffer the same high power drain.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133562362284?hash=item1f18efe9ac:g:9CwAAOSwhZFfnZ~a
For now, I'm using a Renogy 40a Charge controller with Kepworth (not sure how good it is) 100ah LiFePO4 battery, with a 2000 watt inverter, and this runs the Fridge/Freezer in the garage. And indoors 4 x 30ah Eco worthy batteries (seem reliable), 1000 watt inverter and a couple of 100watt panels, and it's lasting a day. I need more panels but want them to be mobile.

Can you please give feedback and if you are able to also suggest a local (UK) supplier of an all in one and recommended panels (maybe even second hand).

Again, any suggestions of where and what to buy long term, such as better batteries, all in one controller/charger/inverter, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Robert

Unfortunately, I can only provide feedback.

Hello from the Colonies.

My biggest concern is that I believe Sol is afraid of the UK soil and has made a deal with the clouds to keep the ground hidden.

Fridge: 1.6kWh/day
NAS: 2.9kWh/day (almost 2X the fridge)

Important to characterize all additional items in terms of kWh/day. there's an energy audit sheet in Resources.

Let's just use 4.5kWh/day.

Depending on your available solar (poor weather and Northern latitude), you might need > 2kW of solar to generate that in a day.

A valid concern. 50W * 24H = 1.2kWh pushing you to 5.7kWh and maybe 3kW of solar.

That unit is likely also essentially identical to a MPP Solar or Growatt unit (both made by Voltronix) and will likely suffer the same high power drain.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133562362284?hash=item1f18efe9ac:g:9CwAAOSwhZFfnZ~a

Unfortunately, I can only provide feedback.

Awesome feedback, thanks and valid concern about Sol having abandoned English ground - that said it's been sunny for 1 hour today.
The solution is to switch off the NAS at night and reduce it by a third. But I'll aim for 3kw of solar -over panelling where I can.
I may have taken a side step though and going into crazy town by considering taking on this project but is seem so tempting - what do you think? https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:71ae3441-4b32-423b-afc1-924b2acb22c2

Assuming the battery is in OK shape, it's worth it on that alone. He says only 150Ah, but it's clearly out of balance. Might get more if it's broken down and top balanced.

As long as you do your homework, plan accordingly and determine it's what you want to do, go for it.

Assuming you're located near that FB item:

1636589390742.png

The solar radiation column factors in weather as well as sun position.

For Jan, a 3kW array will produce 1.08*3kW = 3.24kWh/day
For July, the highest, a 3kW array will produce 5.22*3kW = 15.66kWh/day.

These are averages. Even in the winter months, you will get good days of production, but you might have several without.

Use:

Enter you exact lat/long as well as a proposed system with panel wattage, tilt and facing, and it will simulate your array. You can also download HOURLY data into a CSV file and look at AVERAGE production for the most average day on record for that date.

Here's what the average 11/10 looks like:

1636589697216.png

As you can see, today a 3kW array stinks... never producing more than an average of 435W over an hour at any time. The 11th and 12th are very similar, but on the 13th, it peaks at 1300W (data not shown).

Your environment requires either giant batteries to power you for several days between good solar days, or a mega-array. :)

Back