diy solar

diy solar

UL certified LiFePO4 batteries?

No not really,
Completely agree. I have had to field-UL a few things over the years where the installation could not meet the NEC requirement to the letter and the inspector would not budge. It was cheaper to pay $20k for the field UL than to try to re-engineer a system that fit into the constraints of the code. Fortunately the owner agreed with me. They made us do a couple superfic modifications, but it was already a robust system.

Why would it need EV grade cells to get listed for storage applications?
Because those are the only cells that meet the MSDS sheet specifications made by the manufacturer, all cells that fail do not meet them.

So how in the hell are failed cells being UL certified?

I'm just curious what Signature solar has to say about grade of cells being used in their batteries. They are confident they are a grade cells but it seems like there is evidence they are b grade. @RichardFromEG4 can you clarify and offer any evidence that they are indeed grade a?

Do you need any kind of UL certification or do you need all UL certifications, as far as I know BSLBATT is in the process of UL 1973 certification and will be completed in August!
It depends on the jurisdiction. The intent is to only allow UL-9540 batteries in residential applications, but many/most jurisdictions will tolerate a UL-1973 listing. Cells themselves need to be UL-1642.

As I understand it, a UL-9540 listing is intended to cover a complete energy storage system, like a Tesla Powerwall that integrates an inverter.

Back