diy solar

diy solar

Unbelievably cheap LiFePO4 batteries from Australia on eBay

For the time you had it - why did you part with it?

If these keep living up to their reputation of holding capacity, and longetivity, it wont be "dreaming" that for $1600 you'd be able to get 4 and have 5kWh of storage at 48V.

Last edited:
I've just realised I've picked the wrong words (and cant ninja edit lol).
should be "for the time i have had it". Still have it, currently not in use sitting in storage as i have just moved house.

Well at least you won't have to worry about it. I put my calb cells aside for a few months with the only load being an LED and the vampire draw of the radio gear in standby and it was still 13.2v when I got my daly bms for it and decided to drag it out and hook it up. Do that with any Lead Acid and it'll be junk :)

(yes I ran my calbs with no BMS for a while there, but I kept a close eye on them.)

Also I think as this is a discussion about a brand of drop in replacement, it should be moved to the "Plug and Play" drop in replacements section so more will see it.

the very basic LCD and the colour of the stickers on the side. Once my 12V victron inverter turns up I'll guinea pig one of the 200A green ones powering my desktop PC. See if it truly has the 200Ah capacity. If not I'll take advantage of their 60 day money back guarantee. I'd rather be out a small amount to ship it back, than be stuck with a battery that has a 200Ah sticker, and only provides 2/3 of that. If these do live up to their rated capacity, I'll be buying 3 more and using them to run my 48V
I will in the meantime check out ecoambitionsaustralia on youtube. Hes so happy with the 2 he bought hes doubling his capacity with two more!

i have a few things to pay off on afterpay then ill get the 200aH green one :)

i did however just order an ir thermometer to check interconnects.
Thank you for referring people to my youtube channel.

Please note that the batteries have issues when it's hot and the charge rate gets close to the nominated charge rate (for mine that's 20A). They will then stop taking charge and set my EPEVER charge controller into a "not charging" state rather than float, leading to a temporary discharge before it picks up the charge again a few minutes later. No major drama for me, but it needs to be noted.

Commentators on my channel have reported that this problem goes away if the charge rate is lowered further.

I am buying another set of batteries, but they will not be Voltax, as I do want to run some more comparisons and experiments.
It'll be too boring to buy what already is known to work for me. :)

Do you mean by hot as in a hot day, or heat generated by the battery while charging?

Good to see you here - What brand did you decide to get for the second set of batteries?

Do you mean by hot as in a hot day, or heat generated by the battery while charging?

Good to see you here - What brand did you decide to get for the second set of batteries?
I only ever observed that behaviour on a hot day, where it was between 35 and 38 degrees in the shed where the batteries are. But that's not yet 100% proven, I'm still monitoring it. The temperature was never higher than 38 though, and that should be within the operation specs.

From what I've heard from others on the channel and from what I've seen myself, the BMS doesn't like to be charged even close to 20A, 10A would be recommended. In my system I can't guarantee that I stay under 20A, which is another reason to double the amount of batteries I have.

I recently had bought Mobi batteries from EBAY but I had to return them. The seller was good in trying to work with me and accepted the return no worries, but we were not able to get more than 25% of the advertised Ah out of them.

I have now ordered two ATEM 125Ah from EBAY, can’t wait to get them.

I just noticed you replied to my comment on your channel. I have emailed you in regards to the victron 100/20 I have spare. :)

I just got a reply from Outbackz Australia who sell the Voltax batteries. Don't buy the purple ones, Save $200. His reply when I enquired as to what the difference was exactly my assumptions:

Email begins:
Hi there,

Thank you for showing interest in our items.

The only difference between the two batteries is the LCD Voltage display indicator on the plus battery.

Please check the link for specs: https://prnt.sc/zjeho7

Should you have other concerns, please let me know.

Email ends.

Save your money :p (unless you are buying the 100Ah variants, where the plus model gives a doubling of charging amps)
oh and Matt, your charge controller is in the mail ;)

Last edited:
I am now pretty much just about set to start testing the voltax batteries. The inverter had arrived, so basically I am just waiting on a battery master switch, fuse, cable, lugs and a hydraulic crimper. I'm also waiting on some FTDI modules to make up victron cables, which cost a few $ each, unlike the $60 victron ones.

The raspberry pi is all setup with victrons Venus OS and the touch screen is working, and I have all the other bits needed to build the testing station. I can charge at up to 35A, and discharge at around 80A. To take the sun out of the equation (clouds etc) I will be using a 60V power supply to feed the victron 35A controller. This ensures the current is constant.

The station will be located next to my computer desk so the emergency stop is located within arms reach. Might do a go pro timelapse video of it being put together.

I know shipping batteries is expensive, but anyone wishing to use the testing station without having to buy all sorts of bits is welcome to send their battery to me, I'll test it then send it back. It will give us a good indication of what brands are good, and which ones suck.

Newbie here. Is it cheaper to buy solar from the America or Australia? understand that solar panels are heavy. Is it possible to buy everything else minus solar panels from America especially now due to its weaker American dollars?

I have decided against buying these, only because there is only ebay, kogan and outbax or whatever there name is, selling them. I can get 200Ah cells for a similar price, and either use a daly bms, or build the new DIY bms v4.4 which is looking very promising.

Fantastic battery ,mate running several for 3 years, I got a couple because of him going great

I have brought a 200 ah lithium i am in a argument with them it did not work from day one $190 to return it

I have brought a 200 ah lithium i am in a argument with them it did not work from day one $190 to return it
Where did you buy it from. If you used a credit card just charge it back. When they ask for the dud battery back, tell them to send a courier for it. You have not recieved what you have paid for so stick it to them and tell them to pay the freight.

I brought it from out bax put it in the caravan did not use it for a month or so .took it away for chisy time for 5 weeks stopped over night 4 hours travel after 2hours stop battery just cut out it was on 12.8v with 10 amp draw big fridge took out lithium battery went home got my old agm 190ah put it in did the rest of the trip with it on problem at all out bax blames every think but there battery

While on the topic of cheap LiFePO4, I noticed these ads on Gumtree recently.

I contacted the seller and the response was prompt and assured me they are new cells and even provided me with a factory address for pick up in Brisbane, payment on pick up.

Anyone heard of Saintish branded cells before?

They do have a website:

I would ask for the spec sheet for the cell and then post it here.

Thank you for the website link. Here are the specs for the 100ah. It seems like a great deal if the cells are true to the specs. The person told me the maximum continuous discharge rate is 1C, which was missing on the specs sheet.

For AUD$45 per cell (around USD$35 per cell), it seems like a really a great deal.

Battery Cell Features

* Lithium iron phosphate cell

* Special cell design for energy storage

* Long cycle life

Specifications

ItemSpecification
Size47.8*173.9*128.1 mm
Weight2200±110g
Capacity100Ah(0.5C@25°C)
Energy320Wh(0.5C@25°C)
Discharge&charge voltage2.50-3.65V
Max. voltage 3.65V
Recommended voltage3.20V
lowest voltage2.50V(>0°C) /2.00V(≤0°C)
Weight energy density145Wh/kg
Terminal MaterialAluminum
Charge Temperature0-+55℃
Working Temperature -20-+55°C
Storage Temperature-30-+55
Self Discharge≤3%(25±2°C)/month
Charge Current1 C( Max. continuous charge current at 25 ℃)
Cycle Life≥4000 cycles
Warranty1 years
Service Life8 years

It seems like a great deal
A$150/kWh seems darn cheap. Gumtree isn't the greatest place to do business IMO.

Go see them, perhaps buy one and perform a capacity test. Assess the physical quality, what are the terminals like, how cells are matched.

Back