diy solar

diy solar

Unconnected load, still drawing current?

nmjake

I've got an epever tracer MPPT controller connected to 3 ancient 50 watt panels (which I hope to upgrade soon). Purpose is to recharge AGM battery bank on my cruising sailboat. Per advice here and elsewhere, I've hooked up battery bank to battery connections on controller, and left "load" connections unused. Nevertheless, the controller display (see photo) insists that the (nonexistent) load is drawing up to 1 amp, and the net charge going to the battery is very low, sometimes even negative. I would have thought that full PV power would be going to battery, not to nonexistent load.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
In addition to what SE said, you have to remember that the controller itself is also consuming some power, though an amp seems very high. Does it have an illuminated display? Also, the batteries themselves will self-discharge a small fraction each and every day, maybe 1%, so self-discharge plus controller operation might explain the low power.

Are your panels mounted flat? The fact that they are very old, and a less than optimal positioning might explain the inability to keep things charged.

sounds like a calibration error. Have you verified the current with a separate meter?
Thanks, I think you've got it!
My clamp-on ammeter shows much lower current coming in from PV, and matches what's going out to battery pretty closely. No missing current to explain! But now I wonder if I can fix that calibration error so the display readout is useful. Thoughts on that?

In addition to what SE said, you have to remember that the controller itself is also consuming some power, though an amp seems very high. Does it have an illuminated display? Also, the batteries themselves will self-discharge a small fraction each and every day, maybe 1%, so self-discharge plus controller operation might explain the low power.

Are your panels mounted flat? The fact that they are very old, and a less than optimal positioning might explain the inability to keep things charged.
Thanks for the ideas, and I agree my panels are ridiculous. That doesn't explain the reported current flowing to a nonexistent load. I think SE's calibration suggestion is on the right track.

Thanks, I think you've got it!
My clamp-on ammeter shows much lower current coming in from PV, and matches what's going out to battery pretty closely. No missing current to explain! But now I wonder if I can fix that calibration error so the display readout is useful. Thoughts on that?
I would contact the manufacturer of the controller. Most have a way to calibrate, but it's generally not published in the user manual.

Back