diy solar

diy solar

underperforming system?

angrygoat

I just hooked up some solar gear, but the output is lower than I expected. I'm in the Denver area. Its a clear day at about ~40 degrees latitude. I expect reduced output due to the month, but it's less than I expected, and wanted to know if others think this is in the range of possibility, or if I have a problem.

Gear

4x newpowa 100w 9bb panels https://www.newpowa.com/new-100w-compact-12v-mono-solar-panel
no visible damage
Vmp 19.06V
Isc 5.55A

Epever xtra 40a 150v mppt

40ft 10awg pure copper wire to SCC, wired in series.
6ft 4awg to battery

SCC readout
76v
1.7A
= ~130w

Panels are south facing the sun, and are nearly vertical - about 15degrees. I'm charging a 12v lead acid car battery. I tried disconnecting the PV cable so the SCC would recalc things, but no change. I also tried turning on the headlights and cabin fan, which helped a little, but you can see my best numbers. I think I'm about 1hr past peak sun right now, and looking at the curve of a calculator, I should still be within 90% of peak sun for the day. Its a cool day in the 50s. I don't have a way to measure panel temp, but they cant be too warm given the air temp. My cables are kinda long, but there should be only miniscule voltage drop at such low current. I tried hooking up only 1 and only 2 panels instead of all 4, and got similar proportionally poor numbers.

Am I right in thinking this output is too low? I understand the sun isn't as strong in the winter, but this is 1/3 of "rated" output. Thoughts?

To know, you would need a solar irradiance meter to see what sun angle and W/m2 is. Keep in mind at winter angles, the sun passes through a lot of atmosphere even on clear days, reducing output.

But if you are charging a single automotive starting battery, the low voltage scc may not be capable of feeding the battery much current…

Maybe I'll try to drain the battery down a bit and hook up more load. I'll monitor how output varies over the next few days. Unfortunately their current location gets partial shaded right after noon, giving me a short window of test opportunity.

Back