diy solar

diy solar

Understanding requirements

medic5678

Trying to size my system correctly. need about 100 watts total for my remote video security system, which will run 24/7. How would I size in terms of panel wattage and battery?

100W x 24h = 2400Wh

2400Wh / 12.8V = 187.5 Ah battery
2400Wh / 5h avg solar day = 480W solar panel

480W panel / 12.8V battery = 37.5A charging (need 40A SCC minimum)

What I will add to what @MisterSandals said is depending on where you are, you’ll want to plan for some cloudy days, unless you have generator or grid backup. This can also give you some time to fix the solar charging if for some reason it stops charging. I’m finding my fixed system is maintenance free, but my portable system requires a bit of tweaking.

If you can plug this into a Kilawatt meter and get a watt hour consumption after a period of time, may not pull as much power as the label says. Also helps if you can put all devices into a single power bar so you can measure everything at once.

In my signature block there’s a link to a “same system different area, huge difference,” that shows how a system like you are asking for is much more practical to build in Sunny Arizona where I live, versus cloudy Washington state.

I live in the Gainesville, Florida area. So I would think sun isn't an issue except on a series of overcast, rainy days. I think I'm going to be taking a serious look at this to cut the electric wattage as much as possible. If I can get it down to 75 watts, that would help quite a bit.

Back