diy solar

diy solar

Ungrounded / Floating DC PV Home Run Wire Color to MPPT, code compliance

Brightside

I'm having trouble finding enough 6AWG THWN-2 wire in red and black for my 400' "home runs". I'm looking at buying 8 - 500' spools of wire.

Can I just use one color like red, or an assortment of random colors that are available(not including white, grey, green, or bare), as long as I label them with the appropriate Red and Black electrical tape or shrink wrap at the terminations on each end?

Here's what I've found from NEC 690.31(B)(1):

(B) Identification and Grouping. PV source circuits and PV output circuits shall not be contained in the same raceway, cable tray, cable, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting as conductors, feeders, branch circuits of other non-PV systems,or inverter output circuits, unless the conductors of the different systems are separated by a partition. PV system circuit conductors shall be identified and grouped as required by 690.31(B)(1) through (2). The means of identification shall be permitted by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means.
(1) Identification. PV system circuit conductors shall be identified at all accessible points of termination, connection, and splices. The means of identification shall be permitted by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means. Only solidly grounded PV system circuit conductors, in accord‐ance with 690.41(A)(5), shall be marked in accordance with 200.6. Exception: Where the identification of the conductors is evident by spacing or arrangement, further identification shall not be required.

Looks like I may have answered my own question. As I understand from the bolded portion, I can use any color wire, or mix of random color wires, as long as I put marking tape on the wires at points of termination, connection and splices?

Back